New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
One word usage/ Phrasal words
by sushmitaTG TEAM - Saturday, 23 November 2013, 01:46 PM
  In the following questions a word has been used in sentences in four different ways. Choose the option corresponding to the sentence in which the usage of the word is incorrect or inappropriate.

Q1.) CRY
1. We made plans to purchase a house, but the owner cried on at the last minute.
2. The treatment in this place is a far cry from that which we received before.
3. The little girl cried her eyes out when her cat, whom she loved a lot, died.
4. The people who cry down everyone who differs from them are themselves in secure.

Q2.) SHOW
1. Usually, my father runs the show in our house.
2. He did all the work, but his partner stole the show.
3. We waited for two hours, but he didn't show up.
4. White shows on well against a blue background.

Q3.) DO
1. The children were all done in funny costumes for the show.
2. Ramesh was done in by an unscrupulous broker.
3. The store doesn't have any, so you'll have to do without.
4. I can't afford a new coat so, I have to make do with this one.

Re: One word usage/ Phrasal words
by sushmitaTG TEAM - Monday, 25 November 2013, 04:07 PM
  Solutions:

Q1.) Solution: ‘1’. The correct idiomatic expression is ‘cry off’, which means ‘to break a promise’. ‘Far cry’ means ‘very different’. ‘Cry one’s eyes out’ means ‘to cry excessively’. ‘Cry down’ means ‘to belittle’.

Q2.) Solution: ‘4’ .The correct idiomatic expression is ‘show up’, which means ‘to appear’. In the 3rd statement ‘show up’ means ‘to arrive at a place’. ‘Runs the show’ means ‘control the situation/business’. ‘Steal the show’ means ‘to get the applause for something’.

Q3.) Solution: ‘1’. The correct idiomatic expression is ‘do up in’, which means ‘dress up’. ‘Do in’ means ‘to cheat’. ‘Do without’ means ‘to dispense with the thing mentioned’. ‘Make do with’ means ‘to get along with what is at hand’.