New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!
Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur
by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 17 August 2007, 04:29 PM

cat 2007 cat 2008 xat 2008 xlri mba 2008XLRI was founded in 1949 by Fr Quinn Enright, S.J. in the Steel City of Jamshedpur. Over many years, XLRI has developed its own identity. The hall mark of this identity is, not to walk on the beaten path but to strike new routes; not to benchmark but to be benchmarked, to be second to none but to be the first to respond to the needs of the people and the nation, by taking up the tasks which are bold but necessary which nobody has hitherto taken up.

Name: Xavier Labour Relations Institute- Jamshedpur
Director- N Casimir Raj, S.J
Email: xlwebmaster@xlri.ac.in
Address: XLRI  Circuit House Area (East)
Jamshedpur 831 001 Jharkhand  India
Tel: +91 - 657- 2225506 - 12
Fax: +91 - 657 - 2227814

Programmes:

Personnel Management and Industrial Relations
Business Management
Executive Fellow programme in Management
Fellow Programme in Management
International and Corporate Programme
General Management Programme
Satellite Programmes
Management Development Programmes
International Student Exchange Programme

Eligibility Criteria:

For BM and PMIR Programmes, graduates who have completed 3 years of Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in any discipline recognized by University or Deemed University are eligible to apply.

Expenses:

The fee for BM and PMIR Programmes is payable in two instalments every year. The approximate annual fee for the MBA programme is Rs. 175,500.

Test Accepted: Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT)

Institute Facts (Infra, Activities etc.)

Over a short span of time, XLRI has developed academic collaborations and exchange partnerships with prestigious institutes throughout the world. The partners are renowned globally in the field of management teaching and research and are accredited by various international associations.

The Library of XLRI came into existence in 1949 when the Institute was established in the Steel City of Jamshedpur, Bihar. It was named after late Sir, Jehangir Ghandy in February 1972. The aim of the Library is to serve the needs of our faculty, Research Scholars, Students and Members of the Library. It is the heart of the institution and acts as a center for the collection of literature predominantly related to labour relations, management and its allied subjects and develops a comprehensive collection of information that is useful for teaching and reference purpose.

XLRI has GIGABIT Fibre backbone throughout the campus to support the Institute’s local area network. Every student is equipped with a laptop/desktop in his /her room and has round the clock access to intranet as well as internet. Entire academic activities such as e-bulletin board, e-discussion forum, grades and feedback, on line leave application, course outline, electives, handouts, class schedule are made available to the faculty, students and the administration on their desktop. Apart from the individual nodes, more than 200 units of latest Pentium workstation, scanners, laser printers or desk jet printers, close circuit camera, multimedia projectors, digital camera to serve the desk need of faculty, student’s computer centre, classrooms, examination hall, auditorium, library and various administrative offices.

XLRI began offering the Executive Programme in Dubai in collaboration with the Al Abbas Institute of Technology from October 2001. A new chapter was set up in Singapore in March 2006 in alliance with Image International.

Sports are taken seriously at XLRI. The fields/courts on campus include Badminton, Basket Ball, Cricket, Football, Tennis and Volley Ball. There is a multi gymnasium located in the building named after Mr. S. C. Sarkar. In addition to the facilities on campus, students at XL have access to swimming pools, tennis courts, squash courts, and a synthetic athletics track through XLRI’s affiliation with local clubs and other sports associations.

The PMIR course is the oldest and the most prestigious of the Institute's teaching programmes.

XLRI offers a two-year full time programme on Business Management, on the completion which, candidates are conferred with Postgraduate diploma in Business Management (PGDBM). This programme is extremely prestigious and is rated as one of the finest of its kind in the country.

Societies

Asterix- Association for Strategy and Entrepreneurship in XLRI
Axiom- Association at XLRI for Industrial and Operations Management

Bridges- Building Research Initiatives for Developing and Generating Enterprising Solutions. BRIDGES owes its inception to the need to promote and encourage research oriented work on the campus.
Dracula-Dramatics and Cultural Association at XLRI
External Linkage-External Linkages Cell, XLRI
Jamshedpur
Finax- The Finance Association of XLRI
Maxi-The Marketing Association of XLRI
Fire- The Forum for Industrial Relations at XLRI
Sports Comm- The sports committee
SAC- The Students Affairs Council
POISE- Programme for International Student Exchange at XLRI
Sapphire- The Students Association for the Promotion of Personnel Management, Human Resources and Industrial Relations at XLRI
SIGMA- Social Initiative Group for Managerial Assistance
Socrates-Society for the Rapid Assimilation of Technology and Systems
XLNC-XLRI Nature Club
LibComm- Libcomm is a committee of students working for the upliftment of the Sir Jehangir Ghandy Library at XLRI Jamshedpur.

XLRI- GD Topics and Interview Questions
by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 17 August 2007, 04:31 PM
  Hi All,

Please find GD topics and Interview Questions for XLRI in the file.

Dagny
XLRI- Placement Statistics
by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 17 August 2007, 04:35 PM
  Hi All,

Please find the placement statistics for XLRI in the file.

Dagny
Re: XLRI- Placement Statistics
by harish kambam - Friday, 17 August 2007, 10:06 PM

thnx dagny for providing useful info abt the top B-schools.

Re: Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur
by Deep Thinker Gadha - Sunday, 19 August 2007, 08:32 PM

Hi Dagny,

I appreciate  your Institute Info series. Dagny, In addition to this i would like to know the hidden criteria for shortlisting candidates like IIM-B requires X, XII, and UG with 87%, 87%, and 85% respectively. I'm asking this because In my university topper (Rank 1,Gold Medalist)  have 78% marks. So, What to do?

Is IIM or Any Top Institute only a dream?

Is it possible to get admission in them irrespective of our previous acadmic performance?

However, I was winner of Best Student Award, Best Performer (In My Current Comany), and Technical Excellence Award ( In Current Company).

I am 2006 passout and will have 2 yrs of Exp on Jun 2008.

Please focus on my doubts.

Thank You Very much!

--DTG

by Eesha Pathak - Monday, 20 August 2007, 12:13 PM
  hey how can you say that IIM -B wants more than 87 87 in X and X|| surprise ? I've scored 80 + in both, and as far I know(from what I have read in the IIM B selection procedure) , they give weightage to your X and X|| scores, so the higher you score, the better it is, but they don't say that you should've scored more than 87 in both of em. Dagny , please confirm cool.......
by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 21 August 2007, 02:55 AM

Hi DTG,

It is no where mentioned that IIMB requires the percentage mentioned by you. I don't know where have you picked up this information from.
Read this-

IIMB, CAT 2007, CAT 2008, XAT

For all candidates in the first shortlist as stated in Table 1, the candidates’ percentage scores in the 10th and 12th board exams are standardized by dividing each score by the 90th percentile score obtained in that board. The database of 10th and 12th scores of all CAT applicants of the past two years was used for identifying the 90th percentile score for each 10th and 12th board for this purpose.

To summarize the above, lets take an example. Say a topper in your board (CBSE/ICSE/ state board)  has scored 80% , it means that he is a 100 percentiler and say someone who has scored 78% is a 90 percentiler. Now for eg you have scored 75%, to standardize the process, your percentage will be calculated as follows -

75/78*100=96%. It means that your percentage is 96, as per the  standardization rule of IIMB.

As far as graduation scores go, read the following:-

For all candidates in the first shortlist as stated in (1), final scores obtained by the candidate were used for the bachelor’s degree and professional degrees (if any).Incomplete or intermediate scores were considered only if the candidate’s final score was pending. Thus, for final year bachelor’s degree candidates, their incomplete graduation score would be taken in lieu of final graduation score. Graduation scores were standardized within their respective categories. This provided the standardized score for the bachelor’s degree for all candidates in the first shortlist.

For eg. you can never  compare the percentage score of an English Hons graduate and a Software Engineer because an English Hons graduate can be a topper at 61% in Delhi University but in engineering, students score even till 90% . So, the graduation scores are standardized in their respective fields.

Hope this helps! And IIMs or any other top college is not a dream. If you score a high percentile in CAT, there is nothing that can stop you from getting a call for GD-PI. And if you perform well in your GD-PI, there is nothing that can stop you from getting an admission in a B School. In a nutshell, concentrate on your CAT preparation as of now and rest we will see then smile

Dagny

Thanks a lot for clarification.
by Satyam Gadha - Tuesday, 21 August 2007, 03:37 PM

Hi dagny,

This is my first post on TG.Thanks for your clarification on the past performance requirement for getting in to top notch B-Schools.I always had a thought that top B-Schools will never select me caz, I have a bad score in my x and xii.However as you last sentence in the above articale says.. that only a person's hard work and preapartion can turn any odds.

Thanks again

Re: Thanks a lot for clarification.
by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 22 August 2007, 08:35 PM
  Yes Satya, all the so-called "secrets of success" will not work unless you do.  And the 'gadha' in your pic icon is  damn cute  smile

Dagny

by Anirban Bhattacharjee - Monday, 27 August 2007, 01:21 PM
  Ohayo Gojaimasu Dagny San,

Can you kindly let us knbow about the admission procedures for "Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management". I mean .... will be obliged if u can inform us the following stuffs .....do they accept CAT, XAT score... or do we have to write one more separate entrance for that. ... when exactly their admission takes place... etc....

Regards-
Anirban
by shantesh jain - Sunday, 2 September 2007, 03:38 PM
  dagny thnks a lot for such valuable info.... i was having ine doubt as far as my work ex record is concerned.actually i hv been working at IMS learning resources pvt. ltd. as bus. dev. exec. n now manager focussed mainly on marketing..should i show the work ex of IMS ?
by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 5 September 2007, 04:02 AM
  Hi Shantesh,

Any form of work experience counts if you can prove that it has added value in terms of team work, leadership etc.

Dagny

by shruti a - Tuesday, 25 December 2007, 02:26 PM
  hi dagny,
we are required to write an essay this year in XAT....can u shed some light on how to go about preparing for it?
thanks
shruti
by ravi kumar - Tuesday, 8 January 2008, 01:19 PM
  Dear Moderators

Can we get your institutes solution for XAT 2008 paper. This year we were given the paper.

I am eagerly waiting for TG solutions.

Best regards

Ravi Kumar
Re: XLRI- GD Topics and Interview Questions
by kanika kwatra - Saturday, 19 January 2008, 10:14 PM

hello mam

i'v been a constant passive user of ur site..thanx mam for a lot of valuable information that u hav provided al d way long..

my xat percentile is 98

however i hav screwd up my eng at 50,maths n di are 99

cud u please provide me wid some information on xiss ranchi and goa instt of management..how gud they are..their placements and moreover does xiss ranchi takes sectional cut offs into account??

regards

kanikasmile

by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 23 January 2008, 07:19 PM
  Hi Kanika,

I would not be able to comment much upon the sectional cut off for XISS because they have not mentioned it officially ever.However keeping your Verbal cut off in consideration, it is difficult to get a call from GIM. Also, if the overall profile of the student is strong and diversified, B School do give calls irrespective of low performance in one of the sections. The qualifying percentile for the batch 2007-2009 for GIM was 90. Also,  for GIM, the final selection will be made tentatively in April 2008 on the basis of XAT scores (50% weightage), the candidate’s past academic performance (10% weightage), performance in group discussion and individual interview (30 % weightage) and work experience (10% weightage

Dagny

by kanika kwatra - Thursday, 24 January 2008, 01:43 PM

thanx a lot mam for your response..but can you please guide me if there is any college through xat dat i can apply to still??

i scored well in my 10th and 12th..doing my graduation from hindu college in mathematics.but my grad marks are on a lower side..sad

also my cat percentile is 95.96 with sectionals

maths 94.--

eng 93.--

di 84.--

do i stand any chance of getting a call from d rest of the institutes like fore,lbs,imi,nirma,mica..or do dey also consider the profile of the candidate.

thanks mam.

regards

kanika

by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 25 January 2008, 10:33 PM
  Hi Kanika,

Your profile looks fine to me and you stand a fair chance of getting calls from these institutes.smile

Dagny
by kanika kwatra - Friday, 25 January 2008, 10:53 PM

thanx a tonn mam..for relieving me wid some of my worries..

take care

thanx a lotsmile

by Gaurav Sharma - Sunday, 3 August 2008, 12:16 AM

Hi Dagny,

First of all thanks a lot for ur contribution in this wonderful site as every article on this is very useful.

I would be very grateful if you can name some good B-schools whose eligibility criteria is not 50% (apart from IIFT) bcz unfortunately my %age is 48% in graduation & also would like to know the prospects of me getting into such B Schools considering i have 2 yrs of experience in a BPO Company.

It will be very kind of you if you can answer my question.

Thanks!
by janaki bandlamudi - Thursday, 2 October 2008, 01:51 PM

hai dagny,

this article is very useful .i started practicing the previous cat papers.will you please put the previous xat papers on the website.it will be very helpful for us.thanks for your help.

by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 4 October 2008, 06:49 PM
  http://totalgadha.com/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2075
by yuvraj singh - Sunday, 11 October 2009, 06:07 PM
  i have a query regarding xat form.i had purchased thae form but could not send it within  seven days of purchasing.please advise me what should i do?will my form get rejected if i send it now?
by jerry vn - Wednesday, 21 July 2010, 12:54 PM

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.
by jerry vn - Monday, 2 August 2010, 12:13 PM
  Apart from that, this link below may be useful:  Purchasing interview questions