New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!
The Faculty of Management Studies (FMS)
by Dagny Taggart - Sunday, 12 August 2007, 03:06 AM

cat 2007 mba cat 2008 fms xat 2008 profile

The Faculty of Management Studies (FMS) , University of Delhi made a modest beginning with a three year part-time Post graduate management programme in Business Administration for senior and middle level executives in 1954. The first set of professors was trained at the Stanford University Business School and institute was started at the Delhi School of Economics under the leadership of Prof A. Dasgupta

Name:
Faculty of Management Studies- New Delhi 

Head & Dean- Prof. JK Mitra
Email: admissions@fms.edu  

Address:

North Campus:
Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi, Delhi - 110 007
Tel: +91 11 2766 6382 / 6387 / 6388

South Campus:
Faculty of Management Studies, Shanti Prasad Jain Advanced Management Research Center, University of Delhi South Campus, Benito Juarez Road, Delhi - 110 021, Tel: +91 11 2687 5875 / 5879, Fax: 2687 5878

Programmes:

Mater of Business Administration- Full Time
Master of Business Administration-Part Time
Master of Business Administration-Management of Services (Full Time)
Master of Business Administration- Health Care Administration (Part Time)
Management Development Programmes
Doctoral Programmes

Eligibility Criteria and student intake (MBA- Full Time & MBA- MS Full Time):

1. Candidates applying for admission to the first year of MBA (Full-Time) Programme must have pursued at least a 3-year Bachelor’s Degree Programme after 12 years of formal schooling in any of the following disciplines. The minimum requisite percentage of marks in different disciplines is as follows :-

• Arts, Commerce or Social Sciences - 50%
  • Sciences - 55%
  • Mathematics or Statistics - 60%
  • Medicine, Engineering or Technology - 60% / CGPA of at least 6.00 in a scale of 10.00
OR
  • Post Graduate Degree or 2nd Degree examination after 10+2+3 scheme, securing at least 60% marks.
Note : Candidates appearing for the final examination of Bachelor’s / Post Graduate Degree examinations may also apply. 

2. Candidates must be 20 years of age as on 1st of October of the year of admission.

3. There is no reservation whatsoever for the graduates of Delhi university or the residents of Delhi.

The intake of MBA (Full Time) programme is 90 participants (with additional 9 seats for international candidates).

The intake of MBA-MS (Full Time) programme is 40 participants (with additional 4 seats for international candidates).

Expenses:

The fee for various programmes is payable in three instalments every year. The approximate annual fee for the MBA programme is Rs. 11,000. The fee payable at the time of admission is approximately Rs. 6,000.

Test Accepted: FMS Written Test

Institute Facts (Infra, Activities etc.)

Founded in 1954, FMS was the first institute in the country, to offer management training for professional managers in the form of MBA part timr programme.

FMS has its main library at North Campus of the University. It has air-conditioned reading rooms housing over 50,000 books and over a 100 Journals (including 60 foreign journals). A branch library with a sprawling reading room functions at S.P.Jain Advanced Management Research Center, South Campus. Along with this the students have access to the Ratan Tata Library which has a collection of over 200,000 books and over 1,000 journals on management and economics.

FMS has a collaborative and exchange programs with various institutions abroad such as:

• University of California, Berkeley, USA
  • INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France
  • S.D.A. Boconi, Milan, Italy
  • Esade, Barcelona, Spain
  • Rotterdam School of Management, Netherlands
  • Groupe Essce, Cergy Pontise, France
  • University Blefield, Germany
  • Katholieke University, Leuven, Belgium
  • Nijenrode University, Breukelen, Netherlands
  • Wisconsin University, White Water, USA
  • University of California, Fullerton, USA

Facilities for games such as Soccer, Cricket, Badminton, Lawn Tennis, Table tennis, Basketball, Chess are very popular among the student community.

Management Science Association
     Corporate Relations and Placement
     Media Cell
     Marketing Society
     Systems Society
     Finance Society
     HR and
OB Society
     SPIC MACAY (Society for Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture amongst Youth)
     FMS Annual Convention
     FMS FIESTA- Annual Festival
     Vihaan- Social Service Cell

Hostel accommodation facilities are available to the students of MBA (Full-Time) rogramme at the Post Graduate hostels of the University of Delhi.

The Faculty of Management Studies (FMS)- Placements
by Dagny Taggart - Sunday, 12 August 2007, 02:55 AM
  Hi All,

Please find placement statistics for FMS in the file.

Dagny
The Faculty of Management Studies (FMS)- Group discussion topics, extempore and interview questions
by Dagny Taggart - Sunday, 12 August 2007, 02:59 AM
  Hi All,

Please find GD topics, extempore and interview questions for FMS in the file.

Dagny
Re: The Faculty of Management Studies (FMS)
by Nitin Gupta - Sunday, 12 August 2007, 01:35 PM

Hi TG,

I have been trying to crack FMS Part Time MBA since last two years in 2006 Jan i was able to clear the entrance but couldn't clear the Interview,in 2007 Jan i couldn't clear the entrance even.

Since the difficulty level of question was quiet above 2006 in 2007 and the major portion relates to English(RC/Vocab) and the Logic based questions can you suggest some tips and books specially for FMS.

Best Rgds,

Nitin

by Manav Mundhra - Tuesday, 14 August 2007, 08:24 AM
  hi,
Does FMS have sectional cut-offs?
I heard that it is just the overall score which counts for fetching a call..
Is anyone aware of it ?

Cheers,
Manav
by gopal singh - Tuesday, 14 August 2007, 11:15 AM

HI TG

I WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT IT'S QESTION PATTERN

DIFFICULTLY LEVEL,HOW TO CRACK IT.

PLS HELP ME .

by the underdog - Tuesday, 14 August 2007, 05:29 PM
  Great stuff Dagny!! Keep 'em coming! smile

It would be really nice if you could also provide some information regarding the difficulty and areas of focus as far as the entrance examination is concerned. I have pretty much the same doubts as the chaps above this post.
The Faculty of Management Studies (FMS)- Pattern 2007
by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 15 August 2007, 09:43 AM
  Hi All,

Following was the pattern for FMS 2007:-

FMS 2007

Total Time: 120 min
Total No. Of Questions: 175
Marking Scheme: +4 for correct answer and –1 for wrong.

There were no sectional break-ups.

Section

Topics

Number of Questions

Marks

English Usage

Reading Comprehension

Analytical/ Verbal Reasoning

Quantitative Ability/ Data Interpretation

Total

Quant

Topic

Number of Questions

Calculations

Arithmetic

Percentages and application

Simple Interest/Compound Interest

Algebra

Logarithms

Equations

Higher Math

Mensuration

Permutation-Combination/ Probability/Sets

Verbal

S. No.

Topic

Number of Questions

Reading Comprehension (5 passages)

Antonyms/Synonyms

Analogies

Grammar/ Vocabulary

Total

Your accuracy would play the major role in an  exam such as FMS, where  there are no sectional cutoffs. Also, CAT is mother of all exams; when you prepare for CAT, you get prepared for rest of the exams as well. There will be slight variation in different exams for eg. CET Maharashtra may have a section in Visual Resoning, XAT- essay and higher level maths, IIFT- GK etc. The basic pattern remains the same. 

Thanks Underdog smile

Dagny
Re: The Faculty of Management Studies (FMS)- Pattern 2007
by Anil Sahu - Thursday, 16 August 2007, 02:17 PM

Hi Dagny,

Excellent information in a nutshell. I just wanted to know the approximate cut-off score for clearing the written.

Thanks,

Anil

by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 17 August 2007, 02:45 AM
  Hi Anil,

For FMS 2007, the expected cut offs were between 280 and 300 with 100-110 in Verbal and 180-210 in Quant, DI and LR sections.

Dagny
by Manav Mundhra - Friday, 17 August 2007, 08:32 AM
  Gr8 work Dagny !!!!!
Will be helpful to everyone appearing for FMS...
by Anil Sahu - Friday, 17 August 2007, 03:44 PM

Hi Dagny,

Thanks a lot .

why don't you post similar threads on other exams like XAT etc ? I am sure it will be of immense  help for all those who are going to take these tests. Also mention the cut-offs for the institutes like XLRI and XIMB (if possible).

-Anil

by sandeep gupta - Monday, 10 September 2007, 10:22 PM

Hi Dagny,

Can you plzz compare different exams with cat.

for example-getting into iims requires 99 percentile similarily getting into FMS requires x percentiles,if seen in prospect of Cat paper.

I guess I am clear with my request.

Thanks

by Guruprasad SP - Tuesday, 2 October 2007, 09:06 AM

Hi Dagny,

Please tell me when is this test conducted and when can I expect the application form

by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 2 October 2007, 12:36 PM
  Hi Guruprasad,

FMS test takes place in the month of Jan every year. It was conducted on 21st Jan,2007 for the session 2007-2009, the date for test to be conducted for the session 2008-2010 is yet to be out. The forms are available from the month of October.

Dagny
by arpit jha - Friday, 5 October 2007, 01:48 PM
  i wanted to know about the fms- part time programme. wen is the test conducted and wen to apply and how?
by Deepak Kumar - Saturday, 13 October 2007, 01:06 AM

The date of FMS Entrance test has already been put up as 13th of Jan 2008... check out this link for the details..
http://www.fms.edu/images/admissions2008.JPG
by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 13 October 2007, 11:11 AM
  Hi Deepak,

Thanks a lot. It will be a great help for many FMS aspirantssmile

Dagny
by gaurav pandey - Sunday, 14 October 2007, 06:11 PM
  hi
i wanted to know whether the mba-ms programe of fms is in any respect less significant than the mba ..i guess my question is clear..wat is the basic difference between the two programmes...
thnx in advance
by Dagny Taggart - Sunday, 14 October 2007, 11:22 PM
  Hi Gaurav,

Please follow the link- http://totalgadha.com/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1370

Dagny
by Eesha Pathak - Tuesday, 16 October 2007, 10:59 AM

Dagny,

Thanks for all the information smile ...

U said that for FMS 2007 the overall cutoff was around 300 wid 110 in verbal and around 210 in quant... so does this mean that we have sectional cutoff's in FMS?

I was under the impression that its just the overall score that matters....

Please clarify!

by Nitin Gupta - Wednesday, 17 October 2007, 09:59 AM

Hi TG,

For January 2008 examination -Both Part Time & Full Time MBA have sectional cut off & it is mandatory to score atleast 50 percentile in each section and the result will be declared on overall ranking.

Can you please explain that in terms of marks required for each section what does this meaan.

Regards,

Nitinsurprise

by Rishi Kapoor - Friday, 19 October 2007, 05:34 AM

Hey Nitin...

Well FMS has declared that they'll be giving percentiles and ranks, but are u sure about the sectional cut-offs? Whats the source?

One more thing, even if there are sec. cut-offs, 50 %ile seems too less...

...RK...

by Nitin Gupta - Friday, 19 October 2007, 11:19 AM

Hi,

Please go to end of Page16.

Regards,

Nitin

by the underdog - Friday, 19 October 2007, 12:34 PM
  Hi Rishi and Nitin,

I feel what they have given is the bare minimum. Just like how IIMB declared its cut-offs. Whatever IIMB has given is the bare minimum marks required. The rest is dependent on overall performance of all the students. Nonetheless, the fact that sectional cut offs are present, it does us best to balance out our score in all the sections.

Request Dagny to throw more light on this.

UD.
by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 19 October 2007, 07:17 PM
  Hi Underdog,

You have said it all. Nothing more to add smile

Dagny
by vardhan koshal - Sunday, 21 October 2007, 12:36 PM
  Dear Dagny,

It is a good feeling knowing TG.com is there for us. I wish to have some logical tips on the SOP writing which is required in order to fill the FMS form. It may be specific or general because I am highly opinionated that any words out of your's hand will be helpful. I am an engineer and currently employed in an non- technical/ software/ finance company. I joined service sector just for the sake of clearing CAT this year and my heart lies in economics, although superficially, because I have never really studied economics properly.

P.S. Are u the person behind TG... coz DT was.smile
by Dagny Taggart - Sunday, 21 October 2007, 04:22 PM
  Hi Vardhan,

I would like you to go through the following link:-

http://totalgadha.com/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1150

And both TG and I are behind totalgadha.com smile

Dagny
by Anuradha Venkataraman - Thursday, 25 October 2007, 03:15 PM

Hi Dagny,

Could you please explain the importance given to the Statement of Purpose that they ask for? Also, please explain how it should be done?

Thanks,

Anuradha.

by Chirag Taneja - Saturday, 27 October 2007, 02:02 PM
  Hi Anuradha,

SOP has a very important role in the final selection. It is not of any use before you get a GD/PI call from FMS. But once u get it u dont have the liberty to tinker with it. So fill that carefully and do have some keywords in it and prepare on those keywords which they might ask u. And dont forget to keep a xeroxed copy of the SOP.

Abt how to write SOP. I think TG would soon come up with certain guidelines as to how to go about writing SOP. Wait till then and keep musing over your thoughts.

All the best

Chirag
Class of 2009
FMS MBA(Management of Services)
by the underdog - Saturday, 27 October 2007, 05:32 PM
  Thanks for the reply Chirag! I hope TG comes up with certain guidelines soon. The deadline for the forms is Nov 30th I think. Btw, Chirag I see that you are doing the management of services course at FMS. I am also planning to apply to that course. In the application form, FMS requires us to write briefly as to why we wish to go in for the MS course and thus I was wondering if I could correspond with you (email) about it so that my understanding is clear about what the course offers and that my write up highlights the same?
by Chirag Taneja - Saturday, 27 October 2007, 06:43 PM
  It would be glad to help u and all other aspirants as well. I would advise u to kindly shoot ur questions on the forum only so that same questions are not asked again and everybody else also gets benefited.

Moreover, TG can also jump in with their experiences and insights.

Chirag
Class of 2009
FMS MBA (Management of Services)
by Chirag Taneja - Saturday, 27 October 2007, 06:46 PM
  All aspirants,

Start shooting your queries on the forum and i would try to answer all of them to the extent possible.

CHEERS

Chirag
Class of 2009
by Chirag Taneja - Tuesday, 30 October 2007, 02:19 AM
  Hi All,

Some latest news about FMS MBA (Management of Services).

•  PPOs flooding at FMS MBA (MS)- Today only got some confirmation on a  PPO from Goldman Sachs, the most sought after financial services company across the globe.
  • FMS MBA (MS) student has just won the 2nd Prize in the India 96 Hour Race organised by CII.
  • FMS MBA (MS) student going to China via India-China Alliance.
As always MBA (MS) students have proven their mettle and shown their all around profile be it jobs or extra curricular activities.

Cheers

Chirag
Class of 2009
by the underdog - Tuesday, 30 October 2007, 09:27 AM
  Hi Chirag,

That's great to hear! Thanks a lot for the info. Keep 'em coming. smile

UD.
by mohit verma - Wednesday, 31 October 2007, 08:53 PM
  it's their ne difft between mba and mba(m.s)
by Chirag Taneja - Thursday, 1 November 2007, 03:20 AM
  Hi Mohit,

Well this is a very fundamental ques. and has been answered on every forum.

But for this u should not rely on any forum and take the first hand information given by FMS on their website or go thru the brochure.

Click on Programmes

If your query was something specific and is still unanswered then do post again i would be very happy to answer that.

Chirag
Class of 2009
FMS MBA(Management of Services)
by pranav tendolkar - Wednesday, 21 November 2007, 10:51 AM

hi Chirag

thanks for info

i  m a bit confused at what to write for 'why u want to pursue a course focussed on service sector'

Basically i m confused Why this program is different from MBA
Hence Cant guess what to write for the sop
Could you please guide in this respect..

i think both mba and mba ms sops ll have nuch in common ..so feel awkward at writing same things twice in same form]
Could you please guide in this respect..
by Nitin Gupta - Thursday, 22 November 2007, 06:34 PM

For January 2008 examination -Both Part Time & Full Time MBA have sectional cut off & it is mandatory to score atleast 50 percentile in each section and the result will be declared on overall ranking.

Can you please explain that in terms of marks required for each section what does this mean.

Please help

by Parag Gupta - Friday, 23 November 2007, 01:13 AM

Dear All

I would be thankful if anyone could provide me FMS papers of last 5 years.

Regards

Parag

by Tapas Sarkar - Monday, 26 November 2007, 03:25 PM

hi to all..

I have done MTech this year n currently working in CTS for last 6 months. Can you please help me out how could it will be helpful for me to get into  FMS. I have done B.E in the year 2003. After that i have worked for 2yrs in a small company. Will my Mtech degree provide any advantage for admission in FMS.

by soumadip roy - Friday, 7 December 2007, 03:29 PM

hi i applied for FMS thru online process and have send the DD with the form to FMS thru courier.

It is mentioned in the bulletin that one would get confirmation thru mail,after the DD is realized.

did any one(who has applied thru online) get such confirmation mail from FMS.....please let me know....i am eagerly waiting for it

by rajan mittal - Thursday, 27 March 2008, 09:51 AM
  Hi Can you tell me what was the scene in the GD/PI last year when u appeared. Are they difficult? What is the process? How much time it takes? What all they ask? What all I have to prepared? If possible do send me at graffiti72000@yahoo.com

Thanks
Rajan
Faculty of Management Studies (FMS)
by mansi khattar - Wednesday, 14 May 2008, 09:27 PM

Hi,

GD Topic is generally chosen randomly by a chit system numbered from 1-10. On the basis of ur GD, generally the PI goes. there is an extempore just before your PI starts. The topic maybe anything....as general as  'Blue' ....or very technical...it depends on your profile and ur GD performance. Your interview follows ...depending upon your extempore round....please pay attention to the Extempore. They don't like people having maximum air-time during GD...they want people to work as a team. GD is generally 15 minutes.....PI is approximately 10 minutes (MAX). There is nothing particular that you can prepare. You are tested on your presence of mind.

Keep your questions flowing

Thanks

Mansi Khattar

FMS-FT Class of 2009

Re: Faculty of Management Studies (FMS)
by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 16 May 2008, 08:11 AM
  Thank you so much Mansi for your invaluable inputs.smile
by Brijesh Singh - Monday, 3 November 2008, 01:50 PM
  Hi Mansi,

Myself Brijesh,m sitting for the FMS test for the very first time. Could u please tell me, if the examinees have to write any essay in the test apart from the MCQs? Becoz I just heard from one of my friend about this,like we have to write 2 essays in the application form itself.

Thanks in advance!!
by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 5 November 2008, 08:27 AM
  You have to write an essay in XAT not in FMS Test.
by raju kolluru - Saturday, 19 September 2009, 05:33 PM
  hi sir. thank you for this opportunity. and i want to know about for this fms institute is the work experience compulsary? 
by Dagny Taggart - Thursday, 24 September 2009, 03:35 AM
  Hi Raju,

It is not.
by nishitha nagireddy - Friday, 30 October 2009, 10:48 PM
  Hi,
I want tto apply for fms online but i am a bit confused about uploading the digital signature as well as thumb impression.Is it ok if i scan both the things and upload? or do i need to use digital pen ? and what do i do for the thumb impression?.

Thanks,
NN.

by Prateek Agrawal - Saturday, 31 October 2009, 08:11 AM
  sir, is there sectional cut-off?
If y then what should b score in english section.
thanks
by srikanth Mandula - Thursday, 10 December 2009, 07:21 PM

What is the strategy to crack RC section in FMS Test...

Bcz as we are provided with very short time and 4-5 Lengthy passages are given and around 7 questions may be asked for each passage.

by vaibhav Gupta - Tuesday, 16 March 2010, 12:38 AM

Hi , I tried hard but couldnt gain much info on entrance test for PT MBA from FMS .

• Is it different from Regular Full Time MBA enterance? If yes, How
  • key areas to look at
  • whr can i find /can anyone provide last few years papers esp. for PT MBA
  • and ofcourse why no one pick the FMS contact number