New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
Doubts in Quant
by Ok . - Wednesday, 22 June 2011, 08:11 PM

Hi TG,

Hope u r fine.

m starting new thread for doubts as i didn't find any thread dedicated for the quant doubts.

My doubts are;

1. Is the measure of one of the interior angles of quadrilateral ABCD equal to 60 degrees?

(1) Two of the interior angles of ABCD are right angles.

(2) The degree measure of angle ABC is twice the degree measure of angle BCD.

(A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.

(B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.

(C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.

(D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.

(E) Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

Ans given as E but according to me it should be B because 2nd condition can be true only when other angles are 30 & 60 (to form a closed figure)

2. What is the median number of employees assigned per project for the projects at Company Z?

(1) 25 percent of the projects at Company Z have 4 or more employees assigned to each project.

(2) 35 percent of the projects at Company Z have 2 or fewer employees assigned to each project.

(A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.

(B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.

(C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.

(D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.

(E) Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

Anz given as C. Plz explain

Wbr

Re: Doubts in Quant
by TG Team - Thursday, 23 June 2011, 05:25 PM

Hi Okif smile

Yes, we all are fine here and wish same for you too. smile

1. Consider these two sets of consecutive angles of the quadrilateral.
(i) 45-90-90-135, and (ii) 60-90-90-120.
Both these cases satisfy both the given conditions, still we are unable to decide whether one of the four angles is 60 degrees. Hence the answer is (E).

2. Median number of employees means the number of employees employed at central project. By knowing either statement alone, we cannot decipher it clearly.
By combining two conditions, we get to know that 2 or less number of employees are employed in 35% of projects and 4 or more are employed in 25% of projects. So remaining all projects are having exactly 3 employees. That means the central project is also employing 3 employees.
So the answer can be deduced by using both statements together. (C)

Kamal Lohia
by Ok . - Friday, 24 June 2011, 12:43 PM

Thnk u Kamal Sir for ur prompt reply and wishes.

I still need to consult above questn's

1. Out of the two cases which u have mentioned 2nd case can b deciphered from given premises. i.e. 1) two angles 90 deg 2) one angle is twice the other (60& 120). So the questn can b answered by both statement togethr (C).

2. In this questn i need to understand wht does central project means? If its the 50th project (as i understnd that median refer to central value of a set arranged in ascending order) than we cannot answer the questn as 50th project can be in any case of 2 or less number of employees are employed in 35% of projects and 4 or more are employed in 25% of projects or the remaining project.

Wbr

by TG Team - Friday, 24 June 2011, 01:19 PM

Okif..........think a bit more.

1) Not only one but both cases are possible from using the two statements together as I wrote earlier also. So it cannot be confirmed whether one angle measures 60 degrees or not.
Case(i) - two right angles (90-90) and one angle is twice the other (45-90)
Case(ii) - two right angles (90-90) and one angle is twice of other (60-120)

2) Central project is the same what you explained according to the number of employees being employed by it. Now it is given that exactly 35% of projects employ 2 or less number of employees and exactly 25% of projects employ 4 or more number of employees. (See these 25% and 35% projects are certainly different). Now the remaining projects must be having exactly 3 employees.
Also our central projects is lying in this range for sure. As if we arrange all projects in ascending order of number of employees being employed, then first 35% projects employ 2 or less, next 40% employ exactly 3 and last 25% employ 4 or more employees.

Is it clear now? smile

Kamal Lohia   
by Ok . - Saturday, 25 June 2011, 01:37 AM

Thnx Sir, now above quetns are clear.

Below are few more doubts

Q1. In the sequence of nonzero numbers t1, t2, t3, …, tn, …, tn+1 = tn / 2 for all positive integers

n. What is the value of t5?

(1) t3 = 1/4

(2) t1 - t5 = 15/16

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.

B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.

C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.

D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.

E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

Answer:D. Plz explain

Q2. If x < 0, then √(-x│x│) is

A. -x

B. -1

C. 1

D. x

E. √x

Ans:A. If x<0 than IxI will be -x and expression will become root of x2 which will be + or - x. than how to select ans from them?

Q3. Last year the price per share of Stock X increased by k percent and the earnings per share of Stock X increased by m percent, where k is greater than m. By what percent did theratio of price per share to earnings per share increase, in terms of k and m?

A. k m %

B. (k m) %

C. [100(k m)] / (100 + k) %

D. [100(k m)] / (100 + m) %

E. [100(k m)] / (100 + k + m) %

Ans:D. Plz explain

Wbr

by Ok . - Monday, 27 June 2011, 07:08 PM

Sir,

waiting for response for above post.

wbr

by TG Team - Wednesday, 29 June 2011, 12:45 PM

Hi Okif smile

1. Question is not clear. What is equal to tn/2 ?

2. √x² = x and not -x. If y² = x², then y = x or -x but when y = √x², then y = x.

3. Let initial price per share be k1 and final price be k2 i.e. k/100 = (k2 - k1)/k1 so that k2 = k1(k + 100)/100.
Similarly let initial earning per share is m1 and final earning be m2 i.e. m/100 = (m2 - m1)/m1 so that m2 = m1(m + 100)/100.

Now it is asking about the increase percent in the ratio of price per share to earning per share i.e. 100[(k2/m2) - (k1/m1)]/(k1/m1).

Putting values of k2 and m2 from previous relations here we get the required percentage as = 100[(k + 100)/(m + 100) - 1] = 100(k - m)/(m + 100) i.e. option D.

Kamal Lohia
by Ok . - Wednesday, 29 June 2011, 08:20 PM

Thnx Sir for the reply,

for the above post:

Q1: I have chkd again, data is same, i thnk the questn is wrongly printed as if i replace the , by + than also quests is not logical

Q2: I understood the explanation, but than why should be  √(-x│x│) = -x? (Ans is A)

New Doubts:

1. If 2 different representatives are to be selected at random from a group of 10 employees

and if p is the probability that both representatives selected will be women, is p >1/2?

(1) More than 1/2 of the 10 employees are women.

(2) The probability that both representatives selected will be men is less than 1/10.

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.

B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.

C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is

sufficient.

D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.

E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

Ans:E. As per me both statements alone are sufficient to ans the quests, so ans should be C. Plz explain

Q2: From a group of 3 boys and 3 girls, 4 children are to be randomly selected. What is the probability that equal numbers of boys and girls will be selected?

A. 2/3. Plz explain

Q3: A certain company assigns employees to offices in such a way that some of the offices can be empty and more than one employee can be assigned to an office. In how many ways can the company assign 3 employees to 2 different offices?

A. 5

B. 6

C. 7

D. 8

E. 9

Ans D: Plz explain

Q4: This year Henry will save a certain amount of his income, and he will spend the rest. Next year Henry will have no income, but for each dollar that he saves this year, he will have 1 + r dollars available to spend. In terms of r, what fraction of his income should Henry save this year so that next year the amount he was available to spend will be equal to half the amount that he spends this year?

Ans: 1/(2r+3). Plz explain

Sir, m facing problm in probability section. needs to revise the concepts. Can u suggest which material should i refer to.

thnx

by Rajasekaran Rajaram - Thursday, 30 June 2011, 01:58 AM

Sorry for interruption. Just thought of giving a try before Kamal solves it.

Q1) A) Probability of choosing either man or woman has 1/2 probabilty. So we cannot get a probability of p>1/2.

B) Both men has probability is 1/10. Still one man selection possibility cannot be decided.

Combining both would not give a p > 1/2.

Q3) A + B = 3 (Where A or B can be zero). So 4C1*2 probability. = 8 Ways.

by Rajasekaran Rajaram - Thursday, 30 June 2011, 02:03 AM

Kamal,

I was unable to understand Earning Per Share calculation in the solution.

Please provide some help.

Also can this be soved by assuming numerical values for K & M. All values i assumed failed the condition K > M. sad

by Ok . - Tuesday, 5 July 2011, 12:00 PM

Thnx Raja for the reply. Need to discuss ur solutions

1. A says that more than half are woman so probability of both being woman will be = p = Wc2/10c2 (where w >=6; no of woman)

So min p = 6c2/10c2 = 1/3

Therefore p will be >=1/3. there4 p>1/2 cannot be confirmed by this statement.

B says both selected person will be men p is < 1/10, so both being woman will be > 1-1/10= 9/10. Therefore p>1/2

SO the questn can be answered by 2nd statement alone. Ans shud be B

Plz correct if wrong.

Kamal Sir, Plz reply for the other questns

by Rajasekaran Rajaram - Tuesday, 5 July 2011, 02:53 PM
  Hi Okif,

Statement B says both men probability is less than 1/10.

But we don not have information of probability of one man & one woman here.

9/10 possibility you have calculated includes one man & one woman combination and both woman combination.

Since the main question is to find probability of both woman > 1/2 is we cannot proceed with this data.

Since both men probability is < 1/10, At least 3 men can be present. This is because 3C2/10C2 < 1/10. For any more man included the probability exceeds 1/10.

Now 7C2/10C2 = 21/45 < 1/2.        (Probability of 3 men & 7 Women in group of 10)

In case 8C2/10C2 = 28/45 > 1/2.    (Probability of 2 men & 8 Women in group of 10)

Hope i cleared your doubt.
by Ok . - Tuesday, 5 July 2011, 05:22 PM

Thnx Raja, now its clear

by Ok . - Tuesday, 12 July 2011, 06:46 PM

Hello Kamal Sir,

I have New doubts,

Q6: A string of 10 lightbulbs is wired in such a way that if any individual lightbulb fails, the entire string fails. If for each individual lightbulb the probability of failing during time period T id 0.06, what is the probability that the string of lightbulbs will fail during time period T?

A.0.06

B.(0.06)^10

C.1-(0.06)^10

D.(0.94)^10

E.1-(0.94)^10

Ans: E

Q10: The sides of a square region, measured to the nearest centimeter, are 6 centimeters long. The least possible value of the actual area of the square region is

A.36.00 sq cm

B.35.00 sq cm

C.33.75 sq cm

D.30.25 sq cm

E.25.00 sq cm

Ans: C

Q3: if X>1 and Y>1, is X<Y?

(1) X^2/(XY+X)<1

(2) XY/Y^2-Y<1

Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient

Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient

BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE

is sufficient.

EACH statement ALONE is sufficient

Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient

Ans: E, but as per me it shud b B as 2nd statement says that X/(Y-1)<1 or Y-1>X or Y>X, therfore this Q can b answered by B alone.

Sir, plz reply for the Q's posted earlier. Also, plz mail me the Tathagat sheets of P&C and probability.

wbr

by dhwani bhatt - Thursday, 26 July 2012, 07:25 PM
  Kamal Sir..

I am not getting that how you derive exactly 3 employees for central project.How did you got exactly 3.