New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
SC from 1000SC
by Anshul Matta - Monday, 1 March 2010, 05:45 AM

1. Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity

(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity

(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity 

(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

correct answer is A. wht is wrong with C

1. Researchers have questioned the use of costly and experimental diagnostic tests to identify food allergies, such as milk, that supposedly disrupt normal behavior.

(A) to identify food allergies, such as

(B) to identify food allergies, like

(C) to identify food allergies, such as to

(D) for identifying food allergies, like that of

(E) for identifying food allergies, such as for

Correct answer is C. why E is wrong?

1. School integration plans that involve busing between suburban and central-city areas have contributed, according to a recent study, to significant increases in housing integration, which, in turn, reduces any future need for busing.

(A) significant increases in housing integration, which, in turn, reduces

(B) significant integration increases in housing, which, in turn, reduces

(C) increase housing integration significantly, which, in turn, reduces

(D) increase housing integration significantly, in turn reducing

(E) significantly increase housing integration, which, in turn, reduce

The correct answer is A.. why not E.
My argument: in A 'significant' acts as an adjective which is modifies a verb "increases". This structure is itself not correct. Moreover, the verb that follows "reduces" doesnt not agree with the subject "significant increases".
In E: the adverb "significantly" modifies verb "increase". Moreover the verb "reduce" agrees with the subect "singnificantly increases".

Please advise where I am going wrong.

Re: SC from 1000SC
by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 2 March 2010, 12:53 AM
  1. See the construction in C- X has revealed not Y but Z. How can you reveal 'not something'? It could have been X has not revealed Y but Z or X has revealed Y instead of Z.

2. You have allergy to something not allergy for something.

3. X have contributed to something sounds better than X have contributed to doing something. A grammarian perhaps might give an exact rule.

Total Gadha
by Anshul Matta - Tuesday, 2 March 2010, 06:21 AM
  Thanks TG for the reply above. I agree with first two questions but I am still unclear on number 3.sad
by Anshul Matta - Tuesday, 2 March 2010, 06:41 AM
  The more I reason it out , the more i get close to the answer. Talking about number 3 again. "increases" in the sentence acts as a noun just like in the sentence "a steady increase in temperature" . For "significant" to modify it is completely justified. However, i believe "increases" in the sentence is a plural noun and the verb "reduces" is singular. can someone explain why? Shouldnt it be just "reduce"?
by Anshul Matta - Tuesday, 2 March 2010, 07:03 AM

I think i have answered it myself. "which" in the sentence referrs to the noun 'increases".  The clause that follows "which" has the singular subject "future need" with the singular verb "reduces".

I hope the above reasoning is correct.