New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
Help With SC Question
by Tarun Arora - Monday, 8 February 2010, 11:25 PM
  The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word "natural" to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or anything that has been synthesized.
  1. or nothing that has been
  2. or that has been
  3. and nothing that is
  4. or anything that has been
  5. and anything
Now I was confused between the 4th and the 5th option. The confusion here is that how do we determine whether natural foods are foods which do not contain all 3 or either of the 3? Logically a natural food should not contain any of these, so the answer according to me should be 5. The OG, however, gives the answer as 4.

I read somewhere that the choice that is closest to the original should be considered correct, but I was not convinced. Is it true that the choice closest to the original option is considered correct in GMAT (at least in a situation like this)?
Re: Help With SC Question
by Dagny Taggart - Thursday, 11 February 2010, 11:53 AM
  Hi Tarun,

The grammatically correct patten should be

do not contain X, Y , or Z

do not contain X(color or flavor additive), Y(chemical preservatives), or Z(anything that has been) synthesized.

D fits.

X, Y AND Z would mean three of them together.
While
X, Y or Z would mean any of the three.

Option E distorts the parallelism and changes the meaning of the sentence..

Dagny
Re: Help With SC Question
by Tarun Arora - Sunday, 14 February 2010, 05:21 PM
  Hi Dagny

Thanks for getting back.

However, I'm still not convinced about the reasoning. Are you saying that do not contain X, Y, and Z is grammatically incorrect?

Going by pure logic, a natural food should not contain any of
X(color or flavor additive), Y(chemical preservatives), and  Z(anything that has been) synthesized.
The use of "or" would mean that even if one of these is absent and the other two are present, the food would still be called natural.

Could you also explain how the option E distorts parallelism?

Thanks
Tarun