New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
posted earlier as well...pls help
by gunjan arora - Monday, 21 December 2009, 12:16 PM

Q  ..We usually visit doctor as a last  resort,when that  sprained ankel ...

1. ...has swollen to the size of a grapefruit or that lump can no longer be ignored

2.....swells to the the size of  a grapefruit or that  lump can  no longer be ignored.

which one is correct and why...pls  help out .

Re: posted earlier as well...pls help
by GMAT CRACKER - Wednesday, 23 December 2009, 06:59 PM

hi Gunjan,

in SC qns, whole sentence is reqd, coz that only gives the complete context and d meaning that is to be implied. i therefore request u to give the complete qn..

thanks

GC

by suman ranjan - Wednesday, 23 December 2009, 10:35 PM
  Ans : 1
Use of Present Perfect tense makes the option 1 correct, as it indicates that swelling started sometime back in past and is still continuing.

I thought it to be 2 when I first saw the Q and was not able to decide properly.

Above is the only explanation I can think as of now..but definitely in exam I wud hv marked 2 as my answer.

pls comments anyone if you hav something else in mind..

Suman

by gunjan arora - Thursday, 24 December 2009, 01:25 PM

its fill in the blanks type question ....sorry for not posting it completely earlier

Q .we usually visit doctors as  a last resort when that sprained ankle _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ,but every man should get cheked out regularly ,if not for STDs or illness related to aging (heart spllly),then at least in order to lead an all-round hrealthy life.

1. has swlollen to the size of  a grapefruit or that lump can no longer be ignored.

2. swells to the size of  a grapefruit or that lump can no longer be ignores

by GMAT CRACKER - Friday, 25 December 2009, 11:16 PM

Gunjan, I think def the ans shld be 2. When we express general idea, it shld be in simple present tense. And also parallelism will be maintained.

GC