New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
SC plz address
by Anshul Matta - Monday, 14 December 2009, 04:45 PM

1. During the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capital is estimated to have left Mexico and added to the strain on the country’s debt-ridden economy.

(A) During the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capital is estimated to have left Mexico and added

(B) During the 1980’s it is estimated that approximately $50 billion in private investment capital left Mexico and added

(C) It is estimated that there was approximately $50 billion in private investment capital that left Mexico during the 1980’s and added

(D) It is estimated that during the 1980’s approximately $50 billion in private investment capital left Mexico, adding

(E) Approximately $50 billion in private investment capital is estimated as having left Mexico during the 1980’s, adding

The answer is D. Can someone plz give an explanation for this answer.

Re: SC plz address
by Takahiro Minagawa - Friday, 18 December 2009, 08:49 PM
  Hi,

Here is my explanation.

A,B: Two reasons for incorrectness
1. meaning of both sentences are weird.
What is added to the strain?
(=The fact that investment capital is estimated to be $50 billion )

2. parallel structure can be interpreted in two ways.
it is estimated .... and added
or
left and added

C:"there was/is "... is always wordy in GMAT. It can be correct only when all choice have "there is".
E:"estimated as" is wrong expression

Regards,
Taka
by Anshul Matta - Saturday, 19 December 2009, 07:49 AM
  Hi,

Agree that "E" is wrong due to wrong expression.
"C" is wrong as it alters the meaning of the sentence. Not sure if "There is " is wordy, i dont find any problem with it.
However, i dont agree with answer to the question "What has added to the strain".
In my assessment, it should be "the leaving of the investment capital worth $50 billion"

cheers
by Takahiro Minagawa - Saturday, 19 December 2009, 03:30 PM
  Hi again,
For A, B, you are right.
I was supposed to say,
"The fact that investment capital of $50 billion left Mexico" )

For, "there is" expression,
It is true. It is not I but ETS says that it is often wordy compared with other expressions.  Thus, I can eliminate it before checking its meaning.
If you cannot believe it, please check it yourself by Official Guide.
I am not saying that "there is" is wrong expression.
What I meant is "there is" is regarded as wordy by ETS.
Thus, it is seldom correct answer.
As far as I know, I came across only 2 SC questions in which "there is" was correct. And in both cases, all choices have its expressions as well.
(I went through more than 2000 questions.)

Taka