New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
Critical reasoning Question from Powerscore CR bible. (what is the correct answer and why)
by sim card - Friday, 27 November 2009, 09:17 PM
  Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation of artists,
twentieth-century modernist creators of abstract art.
While most experts rank Cézanne as an early
modernist, a small few reject this idea. Françoise
Cachin, for example, bluntly states that such an
ascription is “overplayed,” and says that Cézanne’s
work is “too often observed from a modern point of
view.”

Which one of the following statements is most
strongly supported by the information above?

(A) Cézanne’s work is highly controversial.
(B) Cézanne was an early creator of abstract art.
(C) Cézanne’s work helped to develop modernism.
(D) Modern art owes less to Cézanne than many
experts believe.
(E) Cézanne’s work tends to be misinterpreted as
modernist.
Re: Critical reasoning Question from Powerscore CR bible. (what is the correct answer and why)
by suman ranjan - Saturday, 28 November 2009, 10:20 AM
  Very nice question. I got it wrong ( B ). Then I looked for answers and found one which I am copy-pasting for refn.
------------------------
In an inference question, we need to find a choice that must be true based on one or more statements in the passage. The four wrong answers are things that could be false. You can ask of each choice: "did the stimulus prove that it has to be true or could it be false?"

Looking at the choices:

(A) Cézanne’s work is highly controversial.
Most experts rank him as a modernist but a small few reject this idea. So the idea that he is "highly controersial" could easily be false.

(B) Cézanne was an early creator of abstract art.
We are told that the experts themselves are in disagreement about this idea. Therefore, it could easily be false.

Because Cezanne's art "inspired...the modernist creators of abstract art" this choice must be true.

At this point, we would stop and choose C, but let's look at the other choices. Choices D and E can be eliminated in one fell swoop: although we learn what most experts believe and that a small few disagree with them, we never actually learn the author's position. Therefore, these choices could easily be false.

Well, if choice C were false--if he did not help to develop modernism--then what happens to the first sentence in the passage, that he "inspired...modernist creators of abstract art"? Clearly, if choice C were false, then this first sentence would be false. But in inference questions, we have to treat the passage as a set of (true) facts. Therefore, choice must be true.

Suman
Re: Critical reasoning Question from Powerscore CR bible. (what is the correct answer and why)
by sim card - Saturday, 28 November 2009, 07:00 PM

thanks for the reply,

but in answer choice C how can we relate the term "modernism" to the statement "inspired...the modernist creators of abstract art".

Term modernism seems to refer to something else..

simcard

by gunjan arora - Monday, 30 November 2009, 04:36 PM
  i tried everywhere in mumbai...cudnt get powerscore CR anywhere..Sim card cud u pls tell me ..where did u get this book from ??
by sim card - Tuesday, 1 December 2009, 07:22 PM

hi,

you can purchase the book online.

sim card

by suman ranjan - Saturday, 5 December 2009, 11:19 AM
  Difficult to get but you have a point here.

What I can think of is Indirect reference here. For example, if someone is promoting teachers to teach in schools;he is in a way promoting education indirectly.

Here similarly, since modernist creators were inspired with his ideas what ultimately gets promoted is modern arts.

It doesn't seem to be a sound explanation but comparing other options available here I feel its ok.

Suman
by Bishweshwar Pradhan - Saturday, 5 December 2009, 11:56 PM

B has nothing related to modern art.
Rest all choices, weaken the information given in the passage.