New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!
IIM Calcutta: Profile, GD Topics, Interview Questions and Placements
by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 10 July 2007, 12:06 PM

cat 2007 cat 2008 xat 2008 IIM Calcutta MBAThe Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC) was established as the first national institute for Post-Graduate studies and Research in Management by the Government of India in November 1961 in collaboration with Alfred P. Sloan School of Management (MIT), the government of West Bengal, the Ford Foundation and Indian industry. IIM Calcutta has one of the most breath-takingly beautiful academic campuses in the country - spotted with scenic locales, five lakes, exotic birds, and a miniature Howrah Bridge. The campus is also reputed to be among the prettiest institute campuses in India. There are 7 large lakes with an attendant jetty and a bridge.

Name: Indian Institute Of Management- Calcutta
Director-Prof. Shekhar Chaudhuri
Email:    
pgpadmissions@iimcal.ac.in

Address: Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, Diamond Harbour Road, Joka, Kolkata (Calcutta) – 700104, West Bengal, India
Tel:  +91-33-24678300
Fax: +91-33-2467-9178

Programmes:

Post Graduate Programme in Management
Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management
Post Graduate Programme in Computer Aided Management
Post Graduate Programme in Management for Executives
Consultancy and Management Development Programmes
Fellow Programmes in Management
IIMC Long Duration Programmes

IIMC has several Activity Centres. These include:

I.      Centre for Development and Environment Policy
           II.     
Management Centre for Human Values
         III.     
Centre For Entrepreneurship And Innovation
          IV.     
IIMC Centre For Corporate Governance

Eligibility Criteria:

The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA [45% in case of the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC)/ Scheduled Tribe (ST) or Persons with Disability (PWD) category]. The Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent qualification obtained by the candidate must entail a minimum of three years of education after completing higher secondary schooling (10 + 2) or equivalent.

Expenses:

Expenses on tuition, room rent , teaching material, computer facilities, and other fees for a single student living on the campus, for the current batch, is Rs 1 57 400 per year.

Test Accepted: Common Admission Test (CAT)

Institute Facts (Infra, Activities etc.)

The institute is located in its own sprawling 135 acres campus in Joka, away from the hustle and bustle of the metropolis. IIM Calcutta has one of the most breath-takingly beautiful academic campuses in the country - spotted with scenic locales, five lakes, exotic birds, and a miniature Howrah Bridge.

The institute’s Bidhan Chandra Roy library was started initially with a liberal Ford foundation grant, and over the last 36 years has grown into a major learning resource centre in South Asia.

Noted Alumni

Mr. Ajit Balakrishnan- Founder and CEO of Rediff.com.
Ms. Indra Nooyi - Chairman and CEO PepsiCo, Inc.
Mr. Pradeep Kashyap - MD, Citicorp Overseas Corp.,
USA
Mr. R. Ramraj - MD & CEO, Satyam Infoway
Mr. Venky Krishnakumar - Regional Director, Citibank

The institute has excellent sports facilities, which include volleyball court, basketball court, a football ground, Lawn tennis court, TT rooms and Badminton courts. A state-of-art gym complex with trained instructor helps students remain fighting fit. There is also a large swimming pool on campus providing students with multitude of options in deciding their fitness regime.

Clubs

1.      Colloquia Cell
2.      Systems Consulting Club, IIM Calcutta
3.      Dramatics Cell
4.      Entrepreneurship Cell
5.      Finance Club
6.      IMZ- IIM Calcutta eZine, is an online “Management-zine”.
7.      INCA - Initiative for Community INCA is the largest Student club in IIM Calcutta with a membership of over 100 students
8.      ISG - Internet Solutions
9.      Marketing Cell
10.  Quizzing Club
11.  The Consulting Club, IIM Calcutta
12.  Sports  From cricket to Table tennis to basketball to carom, all combat areas are explored
13.  Contests-Brand Management Workshops and Case Tournaments by companies like HLL, P&G, TAS and Citibank, and Paper Writing competitions by firms like Deutsche Bank and McKinsey & Co., and Shastrarth, the largest paper writing contest for management students in India, are some of the features and activities dotting the academic calendar at IIM Calcutta.
14.  I n t a g l i o- Annual Business Meet
15.  JBS BaroC -It is IIMC’s own revered band JBS stands for "Joka Bus Stand" and Baroc for "12 C" - a bus that connects the campus to the world outside.

IIM Calcutta: GD Topics
by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 10 July 2007, 12:13 PM
  Hi All,

Please find the file for group discussion topics.

Dagny
IIM Calcutta: Interview Questions
by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 10 July 2007, 12:12 PM
  Hi All,

Please find the file for interview questions.

Dagny
IIM Calcutta: Placements
by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 10 July 2007, 12:11 PM
  Hi All,

Please find the file for placement statistics.

Dagny
Re: IIM Calcutta: Placements
by karishma teckchandani - Tuesday, 10 July 2007, 11:45 PM
  hi dagny,
i have a very strange query. i wanted to get an idea about how to answer the questions in the gd and interview part.thus if there is any way plz let me know

thanks
karishma
Re: IIM Calcutta: Profile, GD Topics, Interview Questions and Placements
by Deep Thinker Gadha - Tuesday, 10 July 2007, 11:48 PM
  Thanks smile smile smile smile smile
Re: Karishma
by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 11 July 2007, 02:34 PM
  Hi Karishma,

Your query is not strange but as of now I suggest that you concentrate on your written exam.We will take care of these issues when the time comes. The only suggestion at this stage would be that you keep yourself updated with the happenings around the world and strengthen your extra curriculars. Your interviews are  profile based and the interviewers don't ask you any thing that you have not mentioned in your form except the general awareness and current affairs.Be thorough with whatever you do.For eg Let's assume there is one interviewer,P1 and you, Karry..
P1- What do you do apart from work?
Karry- I listen to the music.
P1- what kind of music do you listen to?
Karry- Rock
P1- Which is you favourite band?
Karry- Pink Floyd
P1- When was it formed?
Karry-1965
P1-Who is the vocalist of the band?
Karry-Syd Barret
P1- Which is your fav song?
Karry- Coming Back to Life.
P1- From which album?
Karry- Division Bell.

so on and so forth and then they would want to know about your academics, your work exe etc. This is just an example but this is generally how the interview goes. Don't worry too much at this stagesmile

Dagny

Re: sandeep
by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 11 July 2007, 02:35 PM
  You are welcome DTG and keep smilingsmile
Re: Karishma
by jojo jacob - Friday, 13 July 2007, 12:13 AM

Guys please

I am a postgraduate in economics. I am very much interested in doing FPM (IRMA). Minimum requirement is 60% in PG. I secured only 55% in PG. I have no work experience. I had a look at their site.

IRMA site says "

M. Phil. in any discipline with 55% aggregate marks or an equivalent GPA are eligible to apply. The qualifying degree or diploma should be from a recognized Indian or foreign University/Institution and percentage of aggregate marks should be calculated as per the practice followed by the concerned University/Institution.

The only option available to me is to do Mhil. Are Mphil holders (distance-mode) eligible? If yes, Could you please suggest me the names of UGC recognized institutes which are offering  M.phil  economics in distance learning mode?

I sent an email to IRMA one week back. No response yet.

I have two more questions

1) FPM cut-off (IIM)

2)http://www1.ximb.ac.in/users/web/fpm.nsf/pages/Selection

The above mentioned link says:

The applicant must write any one of the following written tests: CAT, UGC NET, XAT, or the XIMB Research Aptitude Test (XIMB-RAT).

Would qualifying UGC NET (lectureship) qualify or UGC NET (JRF) is mandatory?

Re: Jojo
by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 13 July 2007, 11:22 AM

Hi Jojo,

The Fellow Programme of Management of IIM is recognised as equivalent to Ph. D. in management by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.

I am afraid, you will not be eligible to apply to IRMA if you pursue your M.Phil Degree through distance learning. Also, the eligibility criterion is either you have a work exe of minimum two years after your Post Graduation or you have an M Phil Degree with minimum 55% marks.

The good news is that you are eligible to apply to IIMs:- Here is the eligibility-
A Master’s degree in any discipline with a minimum of 55 percent marks with Bachelor degree or equivalent qualification obtained after a minimum of three years of education after completing higher secondary schooling (10+2) or equivalent.
OR
CA, ICWA, CS with a minimum of 55 percent marks
OR
A 4-year/ 8-semester Bachelor's degree with at least 60 per cent marks or equivalent grade point average. Those appearing for their final examinations in the respective disciplines can also apply.

The Master’s degree or equivalent qualification/ Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification should be: a) from any of the Universities incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under section 3 of UGC Act, 1956; or b) recognized by the ministry of HRD, Government of India.

For applying to IIMs you need to either take CAT or submit a standard test score in lieu of CAT, which in your case would be UGC-JRF Certificate in Economics, Business Economics and Development Economics.This score would be valid for two years.
The advertisement for FPM for IIMs would be released in mid July in  National dailies.

You can also apply to XLRI, where you need to submit either of the scores of GMAT/GRE/GATE/UGC JRF (research), if you are not taking XAT.

The cut off for FPM are generally kept low vis a vis PGP programme. I hope this answers your queries.

Dagny

by jojo jacob - Monday, 16 July 2007, 10:55 PM

Thanks a lot for the response.

Here is the email I received from IRMA.

The eligibility for FPRM admission is a Bachelor's Degree in a Professional Field (Medicine, Vet Science) with 1 year of experience (Engineering, Agriculture Science, etc.) or a Masters' Degree in others (i.e., MA, MSc, MCom, MBA etc).

M.Phil is an additional qualification; the application would be judged on the basis of basic required qualification.

Thanks.
Best
Debiprasad
Debiprasad Mishra, Professor
Institute of Rural Management
PO Box - 60, Anand - 388001 Gujarat
alt email:mishradebiprasad@yahoo.co.in

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 16 July 2007, 11:32 PM
  Hi Jojo,

It's strange that the information on college's website and the email that you have received have different information. Infact, I personally had a word with the FPM department and they told me that to be eligible for IRMA-FPRM you need to either have a master's degree with 2 years work exe or an M. Phil Degree from a regular college( not correspondence). Here is the eligibility mentioned on the site:-

Eligibility: Candidates with
  • PRM from IRMA with minimum two years’ experience, OR
  • Two-year full time Post-Graduate Diploma in Management with 55% aggregate marks or equivalent GPA and minimum two years’ experience, OR
  • One Year Programme (OYP) from IRMA with minimum three years’ experience, OR
  • Post-graduate degree in any discipline with 55% aggregate marks or an equivalent GPA and two years’ experience, OR
  • M. Phil. in any discipline with 55% aggregate marks or an equivalent GPA are eligible to apply. The qualifying degree or diploma should be from a recognized Indian or foreign University/Institution and percentage of aggregate marks should be calculated as per the practice followed by the concerned University/Institution. Only full time work experience in managerial cadre, research, consultancy or teaching at degree/PG level will be considered towards experience.
I had also called up IIMA, IIMC and XLRI to find out about the same and they told me exactly what is mentioned on their site.

Dagny
by jojo jacob - Tuesday, 17 July 2007, 04:34 AM
  Could you please crosscheck IRMA authrorities.
by jojo jacob - Tuesday, 17 July 2007, 04:56 AM
  Could you recheck with IRMA authorities.
by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 17 July 2007, 12:45 PM
  Will do that for sure.
IIM calcutta releases the cut offs
by Amardeep Singh - Wednesday, 18 July 2007, 09:10 PM
  With the quota row not completely over, IIM Calcutta has quietly followed IIM Ahmedabad in 2007 in announcing their minimum acceptable cutoff scores in the CAT bulletin to maintain minimum standards. The cutoff applied even to reserved categories, says the bulletin.

The IIM Calcutta notification in the CAT 2007 bulletin reads, "A candidate (including a reserved category candidate) to be shortlisted for GD and PI for admission to post-graduate programmes should obtain a minimum of 20%, 20% and 10% in 'quantitative', 'logic and data interpretation' and 'verbal' sections respectively."

IIM Calcutta's Chairman of Admissions Prof Ashish Bhattacharya said, "This has been done to introduce more transparency into the admission process. Potential students need to get at least this much in CAT in order to pass the courses at IIM Calcutta and handle the academic rigor." He confirmed that these minimum cutoff scores were being used internally anyway but had been exposed to the public this year.

A source in IIM Calcutta however said that the institute has stated the cutoff as a shield against admitting compromised quality students in case the OBC quota is eventually implemented by the Union Human Resource Development Ministry.

The bulletin further reads for IIM Calcutta, "The actual cut-off used for short-listing, however, may be higher than the minimum cut-off and would depend upon the performance of candidates inCAT 2007."

IIM Ahmedabad had initiated exposing their minimum acceptable cutoffs in CAT 2006 and have continued with in CAT 2007. However, they have placed their minimum cutoffs at 25% in each section of CAT and 33% on the aggregate. Asked why IIM Calcutta's minimum cutoffs were lower than those of IIM Ahmedabad, Prof Bhattacharya said, "Both schools are very different and therefore have different criteria. You should ask IIM Ahmedabad why their cutoffs are higher."

I read this article online(pagalguy.com)...how much authentic is this.?..Please guide us Dangy sir..

Re: IIM calcutta releases the cut offs
by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 21 July 2007, 05:21 PM
  Hi Amardeep,

Read this...

Admission Process

Other than overseas candidates

The selection for the post-graduate programme is done through a two-stage process. In the first stage, candidates appear in CAT. In the second stage, candidates appear before a panel for group discussion (GD) and personal interview (PI). Candidates are short-listed for GD and PI based on CAT performance. A candidate (including a reserved category candidate) to be shortlisted for GD and PI for admission to post-graduate-programmes (PGDM and PGDCM) should obtain a minimum of 20%,20% and 10% in ‘quantitative’, ‘logic and data interpretation’ and ‘verbal’ sections respectively. The actual cut-off used for shot-listing, however, may be higher than the minimum cut-off and would depend upon the performance of candidates in CAT 2007. Cut-off may be different for different categories (e.g. General, SC, ST and PWD) of candidates.

Overseas candidates

Indians and foreign nationals living, working or studying outside India at least for the period January 1, 2007 - February 15,2008 are considered as overseas candidates. Candidates residing in neighbouring countries like Nepal from which there are no entry restrictions to India, are not considered as "overseas candidates". Overseas candidates are admitted based on performance in GMAT, academic performance, referees’ recommendations and personal interview. The Institute reserves the right to exempt an overseas candidate from personal interview. Overseas applicants can directly download the Application Form from the Institute’s website on or after July 23, 2007.The GMAT score of candidates selected for 2007-2009 batch ranged between 680 - 770 and the average was 730.

Selection criteria for PGDM programme

The final selection for PGDM candidates other than overseas candidates is made using multiple criteria of performance, such as performance in CAT, group discussion, personal interview and relevant work experience.

Selection criteria for PGDCM programme

The short-listing and the selection procedure are similar to that of PGDM. In addition, performance of shortlisted candidates in the Aptitude Test in Mathematics (ATM) is also taken into consideration for final selection. ATM requires graduate level knowledge in mathematics and the ATM score is given some weightage in computation of the final composite score.

This information has been picked up from IIM-CAT 2007 Bulletin.
And I am a ma'm and not sirsmile.

Dagny
by srinivas varma - Monday, 23 July 2007, 05:12 PM

Hi Dagny,

Appreciate all the effort that TG team is putting in to provide us with invaluable Info.

I have a query and I am not sure if it can belong to this thread.Well I am and Engineer with 3yrs work experience in a major Indian IT services company.

I haven't scheduled GMAT yet.Can you pls suggest me B-schools which I can apply for programmes in 2008.I am looking forward for a career in Marketing.

thanks and regards,

Srini

by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 25 July 2007, 03:03 AM
  Hi Srinivas,

If you are looking at admission for programmes starting in 2008, you should take your GMAT by first week of October so that you have enough time to complete the application process.The second deadlines generally start in last week of November so, you can target them. At this point of time, I can't suggest the B Schools because the admission process for international B schools is different from Indian B schools. Your profile,  your GMAT score, work exe, extra curriculars,transcripts, essays etc., as a whole would determine your chances for getting an admission in any college.

Good Luck
Dagny
CAT 2007
by Abhijit Lahiri - Friday, 27 July 2007, 04:57 PM

Hi Dagny,

hope this finds you in the very best of health and mood.

While i have been enjoying on the philanthropy of TG and others, including you ,(for running such a wonderful site for free), may i request for your kind guidance and help regarding the CAT Application Form( CAF).

I did my BE in mechanical from University Of Roorkee in 1999. In the year  2002 the  University was accorded the status of IIT and is since known as IIT Roorkee.

While filling the CAF i found that some colleges have been given codes including IIT Roorkee. Ofcourse there is no mention of Univ of Roorkee. Should i then opt for the option ANY OTHER .

regards

abhijit

Re: CAT 2007
by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 28 July 2007, 12:29 AM
  Hi Abhijit,

Since you have done BE from University of Roorkee and now the University has been accorded the status of IIT , fill up the code mentioned for IIT Roorkee  itself i.e. 482. Also, don't worry too much, you can always give the clarification at the time of interview, if asked. The interviewers are the renowned professors, they are aware of all these things.

And thank you for all the praisesmile

Dagny
Re: CAT 2007
by Abhijit Lahiri - Monday, 30 July 2007, 04:43 PM

Hi Dagny ,

thanks for your kind guidance.

Regards

abhijit

Re: IIM Calcutta: Profile
by Summi . - Tuesday, 31 July 2007, 02:55 PM
  how different is Post Graduate Programme in Computer Aided Management from Post Graduate Programme in Management ?
by Arvin Mondal - Tuesday, 31 July 2007, 03:54 PM
  Miss Dagny,

Excellent job on updating about the GD/PI topics and questions. I was wondering if you could include the procedure, cut-offs and other relevant information regarding admission in MICA.

Btw, were you an I-banker before you joined TG's team?

Regards,
Arvin
Re: IIM Calcutta: Profile
by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 31 July 2007, 11:35 PM
  Hi Summi,

There is absolutely no difference between PGDCM and PGDM as far as placements, facilities or classes are concerned . The classes are combined with PGDM, except for the special compulsory courses of DCM in the first year:
1. Fourth generation languages
2. Data structures
3. Database management systems
4. Computing environment
5. Management information systems.

This, combined with one compulsory systems course each in the terms of the second year, in effect means an automatic additional major in Systems.There is no eligibility requirement regarding math, but for actually pursuing the course one requires a decent knowledge of graduate level mathematics. So, even if one gets in, unless he has learnt higher math it would be slightly difficult to pursue the course.One can then choose the rest of the subjects in the second year from different departments to major in any other stream(s); a minimum of 5 in any stream gets one a major in that.
In the present batch of PGDCM, there are 58 students. 45 engineers. And out of 58 students 32 are IITians. People with both the options choose in favour of one of these courses depending on their preferences.

Source- IIM Calcutta

Dagny
by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 31 July 2007, 11:54 PM
  Hi Arvind,

Thank you for the praise.I will soon upload the info in MICA.

I have worked with the one of the biggest stock exchanges in India but never been into investment banking smile

Dagny
by Arvin Mondal - Wednesday, 1 August 2007, 12:16 AM
  Miss Dagny,

I would also appreciate if information could be provided about IRMA. The website hardly has any information about placements.

Btw, my name doesn't have a D. Though various derogatory to saintly variations of my name have been thrown at me. Moreover my name is an American one. Try Google-ing it. Check out the second listing. I'm quite proud.

Regards,
Arvin
Debunking Myths!
by jojo jacob - Saturday, 5 July 2008, 03:16 AM

I have been to the IIM-A campus recently. Met an FPM (2nd year) student in the Marketing aera. No work experience. A post-graduate in Economics. His CAT percentile was 67.5!

OBC quota affects General category
by poli lilo - Tuesday, 15 July 2008, 12:58 AM
  Hi Mam,
              I wanted to know whether the reservation for OBC affects the number of seats for general category in IIMs. Are the seats for GC reducing from this year? Whether there will be less intake of GC students to accommodate OBC quota?
Experience counts or not?
by Honey Singh - Thursday, 17 July 2008, 11:36 AM

Hi Dagny,

I have done 4-year Advance Diploma in Mechatronics and Industrial Automation. On the basis of that I have a work experience of 2 years as an Application Engineer in one of the reputed MNCs. Simultaneously, I have completed my graduation (BA) also by correspondance this year (2008).

Can I mention this experience while applying for CAT ?

Will this experience be of any kind of advantage?

Which are the institutes that do not accept a correspondance degree??

Re: Experience counts or not?
by Dagny Taggart - Thursday, 17 July 2008, 06:18 PM
  Hi Honey,

The Official Work Experience is counted from the time after the completion of graduation. But you can mention this during the time of your interview. Symbiosis does not accept correspondence degree.
OBC RESERVATION
by poli lilo - Friday, 25 July 2008, 11:07 AM
  Hi,
     I wanted to know about reservations in IIMs for OBC candidates. How is the reservation going to affect the general category candidates? Are the number of candidates entering IIMs in GC decreasing? Also wanted to know about IIM-S admission.
Re:Dagny
by prabha r - Saturday, 2 August 2008, 01:22 PM

hi dagny,

I finished my B.Tech with an aggregate of 73%. I also have a work exp of 1.6 yrs in the corporate sector.

i wish to know what is the GRE scored required to apply for FPM in the IIM s. Or is it always essential to take CAT for all the courses related to FPM?

I have my GRE date in Oct this year. so i wud like to prepare myself accordingly.

Re: IIM Placements for FPM
by prabha r - Saturday, 2 August 2008, 01:33 PM

Hi Dagny,

I have completed my B.Tech with an aggregate of 73%. I also have work exp of 1.6 yrs.

I read about the FPM program which takes students based on GRE.

I would like to know what is the GRE score required for applying for the FPM programme. and also what is the score that is usually expected to get selected for the program.

I have  my GRE date this Oct. and wud like to prepare accordingly.

can you please let me know the details.

- prabha.

by Pinky Jena - Tuesday, 19 August 2008, 10:23 PM

Hi Dagny,

I appreciate all the effort that the TG team is putting in to provide us with invaluable Info.

I have a query, but I am not sure if i can post the same in this thread. I am a B.E. in Computer Science and Engg. My college(of graduation), calculates final marks as 100% of 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th semesters, and 50% of 3rd & 4th, and 50% of 1st and 2nd. The same is clearly mentioned in the final marksheet. With regard to CAF, should i calculate my percentage according to this, or of the total marks obtained in all semesters?

Thanks and Regards,

Pinky

by priyanka agarwal - Saturday, 18 July 2009, 09:46 PM
  hello,
I am B-Tech in Computer Sci. and Engg. with YGPA 7.75, but scored 2nd division (47%) in my higher secondary examination from WBCHSE and 1st division (81%) in my secondary examination from CBSE .Am I eligible to get admission in IIMs,if I qualify in CAT? Do the higher secondary examination result matters for MBA? Please help,I am confused.
thank you. 
FPM Interview questions
by nancy sharma - Thursday, 3 March 2011, 08:02 PM
  Hey Guys
I got a call from IIM-C for FPM-Operations Management(OM).
what kind of questions can I expect for this interview. Will it be similar to normal interviews where general awareness, extra activities, academics, work-ex etc are discussed or will it be something specific to OM and research proposal be discussed?

How do i go about it.. what kind of preparations are needed to get through..

On what factors does the selection process depends? Will my work-ex be an added advantage or even the freshers get the same weightage.

Interview next month pls do reply ASAP..

Thanks,
Nancy
Re: FPM Interview questions
by nancy sharma - Sunday, 6 March 2011, 07:37 PM
  Still waiting for the reply..
Re: FPM Interview questions
by mrngo mrngorickets - Thursday, 26 May 2011, 12:42 PM

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.