New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
SC Doubt
by nutty nuts - Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 05:24 PM

Hey !

I have a doubt in the following SC question.

1.        An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, has been unsuccessful despite efforts by many important groups, including the National Organization for Women.

(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,

(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment

(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago

(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,A

(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment

Please help !

Re: SC Doubt
by A. SINGH - Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 05:30 PM

hi nutty nuts

i would choose (a). bt sry i dont hav a proper reasonin 2 explain the answer , it sounds right to me.

anyways do post th correct answer.

anjan 

by Nikhil Lingala - Wednesday, 15 July 2009, 07:55 PM
  The idiom is "attempt to X"

Have a crack at something --> Try to do it, attempt it....
Take a shot at something --> Attempt to do it, try it....

So the options B, C, D are ruled out straight away as they use attempt for, attempt at

We're left out with A and E.

Option E is a little awkward because it inserts the phrase/modifier "that has begun almost two decades ago" between ATTEMPT and TO.

Hence its option A.
by CATendra 2009 - Wednesday, 15 July 2009, 08:15 PM

The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, a test developed in the 1930s to assess character, attitudes, and behavior, is finally being revised, after many attacks recently as dated and culturally biased.

(A) is finally being revised, after many attacks recently as dated and culturally biased

(B) has recently been attacked as dated and culturally biased and is finally being revised

(C) is finally under revision for receiving much recent attack as dated and culturally biased

(D) was finally revised recently because it is being attacked as dated and culturally biased

(E) is finally to be revised after recent attacks as dated and culturally biased

In an unusual move for a Republican, the president’s directive established price controls.

(A) the president’s directive established price controls

(B) the president’s directive was to establish price controls

(C) the president was successful in the establishment of controls on prices

(D) the president had instituted controls on prices

(E) the president established price controls

The answers are B and E respectively.can anybody help with the explanations?

In the first Q,i feel that that the ans should be "A" since the revision is happening after the attacks.Is there a redundancy in option "A" that both "after" and "recently" have been used?

In the 2nd Q, are we talking about the "move" or the "Republican".I feel that we are talking about the move.Hence ans a!!

by Nikhil Lingala - Wednesday, 15 July 2009, 09:44 PM
  Question 1:

Though the tense is correct Option C is ruled out because of incorrect usage of "much recent attack". It can be "many attacks" not "much attacks"

Option D is ruled out because it puts the sentence in Past

Option E is ruled out because it puts the sentence in Future

Now its between A and B. I agree they are very close in the first glance. But take a closer look. The sentence "after many attacks recently as dated and culturally biased" is awkward at the underlined part. It should have been "after many recent attacks". In fact the option B agrees with the chronological order that you were talking about!! Its the option B. smile

Question 2:

You'd be right if it were given "move OF a republican". Since it was "move for a republican", the President is been talked about and not his "MOVE". Hence option E. 
by CATendra 2009 - Wednesday, 15 July 2009, 10:17 PM

Hi Nikhil,

i agree with your explanation for the 2nd Q but i am not too convinced with the 1st one though!!

by Nikhil Lingala - Wednesday, 15 July 2009, 10:53 PM
  I got you! Sorry I missed the most important part of it. Here it goes.

Here I copy paste the option A below.

is finally being revised, after many attacks recently as dated and culturally biased

It would have been fine without a comma (,). It was redundant there.
With a comma, the sentence fragment "after many attacks recently as dated and culturally biased" is just an additional detail rather than a necessary information. To be more precise, with an insertion of a comma, it gives a sense it just happened (by chance) that there were recent attacks before it is being revised as opposed to the meaning of a cause and effect relationship (i.e. It is being revised because there were attacks).

Hope this is clear and sorry that I forgot to include this explanation in my previous post.
by nutty nuts - Thursday, 16 July 2009, 09:21 AM
  Hi Anjan and Nikhil

Sorry for the late reply. The correct option is A and thanks Nikhil for the wonderful explanation. smile

Nuts
by sushmitaTG TEAM - Saturday, 9 November 2013, 12:54 PM
  Hi Nutty nuts,
Here is the answer for your question:
Read your sentence after removing the modifier.
it would be "An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment has been unsuccessful despite efforts by many important groups, including the National Organization for Women." This is absolutely correct.
In the rest of the options no modifier does justice to its parent part of sentence.
Hence, A is the answer.