New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
Doubt in SC
by nutty nuts - Tuesday, 7 July 2009, 03:32 PM

Please help me out with the following SC question.

1.        Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured the preparation of great quantities of ceremonial food, the wearing of many layers of colorful clothing adorned with silver, and the recounting of traditional tribal jokes and stories.

(A) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured

(B) Festivals were held in Aho, a Kiowa matriarch’s home, which featured

(C) Aho, who was a Kiowa matriarch in her home, held festivals featuring

(D) In her home, Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals that featuredD

(E) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home that featured

I am confused between option D and E.

Re: Doubt in SC
by Nikhil Lingala - Tuesday, 7 July 2009, 05:23 PM
  Hey Nutty,
I think its option D.
in option E if I take a closer look, "held festivals in her home that featured". The pronoun reference of THAT is ambiguous. Is it pointing to festivals or home? But in option D, there's no ambiguity.

This is what I think. What was the correct answer by the way?
by nutty nuts - Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 09:05 AM
  Thanks Nikhil smile
Your answer is correct.
by Nikhil Lingala - Friday, 17 July 2009, 10:31 AM
  Hi Dagny/TGites,

I have got the answer option right, but am just confused. Please go through the SC question below.

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
A. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
B. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
C. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns have been
D. if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns are
E. if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals' horns have been

I straight away eliminated D and E as they use 'if' instead of 'whether'. Then I eliminated B as it is awkward at "to see one (???) once their (doesn't have a clear reference)". Even I eliminated A as it is not a proper idiom to visit to... and lacks proper pronoun (their) reference. I selected option C, and it was correct.

My problem is, if an option like the one below is given as A (for example), which one should I choose? A or C?
whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses after the animals' horns are
by sushmitaTG TEAM - Saturday, 9 November 2013, 12:37 PM
  Hi Nikhil,
Your query can be answered by looking at the first part of the sentence.
It starts with "A proposal has been made..", therefore, it will be "animals' horns have been" in the second part to maintain the tense consistency.
There is no problem in the use of the word "after". smile
by Srihita Kancharla - Tuesday, 19 November 2013, 05:08 PM
  don't we need to look at parallelism here? featuring..wearing..recounting?
by sushmitaTG TEAM - Wednesday, 20 November 2013, 04:40 PM
  Hi Srihita,

The meaning of this sentence tells that the festivals featured "the preparation of...", the festivals featured "the wearing of.." and the festivals featured "the recounting of... ".
"FEATURE" is not the part of the parallelism. In fact, is the common part that is multiplied to the variables the preparation of...", "the wearing of.." and "the recounting of... ".