New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
How to Prepare for the Verbal Section in CAT
by Total Gadha - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 01:42 AM
  cat 2010, verbal section in CAT, cat 2010 exam, gmatAfter clearing two CATs (CAT 2005 and CAT 2008), I have a lot to say about the verbal section. Many CAT 2010 aspirants will identify with what I have to say because they come from the same background as I do. Characteristic of an education given in small towns of India, my early tutelage in the English language was very scant. Studying in a Hindi medium school- where even English was taught in Hindi- my grounding in the language was dodgy. I wrote my JEE in Hindi and came to IIT- Delhi. It was here, in this metropolitan atmosphere, that I started taking my knowledge of English language seriously. And I set off with the most tortuous path there was- over a period of two years, I memorized the whole dictionary, covering 5 pages every day. During the same period, I picked up the hobby of solving daily crossword in ‘The Hindu’ along with some of my batch mates. I also started reading extensively, from potboiler thrillers to highbrow literature, I read them all. Many of my batch mates still remember me reading a novel in the hostel mess during lunch or dinner. I even carried novels to my classes. And I did all this when MBA was not even on my distant horizon. I just wanted to master the language. Although I have forgotten many words over these years, I still preserve the habits of solving crosswords and reading.

In 2004, when I started preparing for CAT, I found that I used to score 32+ / 50 in the verbal sections in mocks in which the verbal cutoffs used to be less than 20 marks. And my fellow CAT aspirants- many of whom have had convent school education- were struggling in the section. To my delight I realized I had an ace up my sleeve despite my poor grammar and lack of convent education- my passion for reading. Three years after cracking CAT 2005 (I had started teaching quant to CAT aspirants), I took CAT 2008 and was triumphant once again, scoring 98.59 percentile (65 out of 160) in verbal. I had not touched a single verbal test for three years. So what advice do I have for CAT aspirants?

Nothing can beat a natural skill: So one fine day you got frustrated of your job or found your peers in college preparing for MBA and you decided to take CAT. You enrolled in a nearby coaching center and took a few tests, and suddenly found yourself stumped in the verbal section. Too many mistakes in the section and those nefarious negative marks eroded your score. Your response? You memorize the insufficient fundas given in your coaching material and try to attempt as many verbal questions as you can. You try to devour one RC after another, solve infinite parajumbles, mug up the scrimpy wordlist, all the time hoping to catch hold of that elusive accuracy. And many months later you discover that you have barely improved. A tough RC can still unhinge you. So can a tricky parajumble. Your hard work seems to bear no fruit. What is going wrong?

The truth is that you are trying to tame the tiger by its tail. In my class I usually ask engineers which section they are most comfortable with. The answer in almost all cases is quant. Most of these engineers achieve the cutoffs in quant easily, no matter what is the format of the quant section. And the best part is that they do not make any strategy in quant. They have become natural in quant. And many of them can easily beat a student who is weak in quant and taking one quant test after another. Because that student still hasn’t gained the mathematical skills.

Students who attempt to master the verbal section fail to understand the difference between skills and testing. Solving an RC is testing. Developing the reading habit is skill. Solving a parajumble is testing. Developing the sixth sense of continuity of idea through reading is skill. Solving a grammar question is testing. Picking up a grammar book and learning grammar completely is skill. Most students waste time testing themselves in place of gathering skills.

Having skills in a particular section means you can handle any change in the section. You don’t have to make any strategy in that section. Also, if you gain skills and become natural you would have gained something for life. You would have a good vocabulary, good grammar, and excellent reading skills which would help you become a good communicator and an impressive manager. If you only keep testing throughout the year, you would have gained nothing and after your MBA exams are over you would again become the person with lousy English.

Read. Read, read, read: My reading started with a lot of simple books- Hardy boys, Nancy Drew, Three investigators, Sidney Sheldon, Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes etc. After one or two years, I shifted to books such as Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, Fountainhead, Tao of Physics, etc. I soon got tired of it and shifted to serious literature. Over the last few years, I have completely shifted to serious fiction. Although I have a hectic schedule, I still finish one or two novels every week. Needless to say, reading has become my passion for life. Reading has given me a huge edge over CAT aspirants that they don’t have- the art of interpretation.

What is the difference between reading newspapers/ magazines and reading novels? Simply this- newspapers and magazines are mostly factual. They might provide you with rich vocabulary and grammar but in all other aspects they are completely plain and artless. Novels, on the other hand, have situations, scenes, dialogues, drama etc. where a reader has lot more to decipher from what he is reading. Novels have layers and layers of interpretations. They have tones and undertones, dialogues full of emotions, different shades of moods, which make you adept in gauging the mood and style of an RC passage. Novels make you adept at interpretation. And why is interpretation important? Because the same words can convey different moods and meanings:

“Where have you been?” she demanded.

“Where have you been?” she shrieked.

“Where have you been?” she eyed suspiciously.

“Where have you been?” she enquired.

“Where have you been?” she was jealous.

Knowing how to interpret an RC passage exactly is an art that will not come without reading. Interpretation is also needed when you are trying to make a fine distinction between two option choices. And not only RC, interpretation will also help you in your parajumbles and paragraph completions.

So if you want to be absolutely unbeatable at verbal section, start reading!

Love the Language, keep struggling: Two months ago, on Dagny’s suggestion, I joined a gym to reduce my ever-growing tummy. Working obediently on my trainer’s direction, I realized that the rules of a gym are similar to that of my CAT classrooms with one exception- nobody comes to gym expecting a shortcut. Whether someone comes with an intention of reducing weight or gaining muscles, he knows he will have to sweat it out for it. In a CAT classroom, on the other hand, many students come expecting that we will perform a miracle within days or month. Or that we can tell some secret strategies to cracking the paper. Or that they wouldn’t have to read novels or pick up thick grammar books.

“Sir if we finish your grammar material, is it sufficient?”

“If we read 25- 30 novels is it enough?”

“Is yours or Barrons word list enough?”

You want to be in top 1500 students out of 3 lac students and you think that you can study enough? Get Real!

The moment I ask you to finish more than 100 novels or finish 2- 3 grammar books, most of you would come up with instant excuses, and the oft-repeated one will be “I don’t get time from studies/work..” What if one of your loved ones had fallen ill and needed your time and care? Wouldn’t you make time for that? The only reason that you give those excuses is that you don’t give your preparation such extreme importance. Also, you don’t want to work hard.

One of the basic reasons that these tasks seem so imposing to you all is that you lack interest in the language. You are being forced to learn it for your MBA preparation. In order to effectively master the language, you need to love it. You need to love it so much that you would continue learning it even after you MBA exams are over. You would continue learning it all your life. The day you start feeling like that you would automatically be reaching our for dictionary to find out the meaning of the word you didn’t know, you would regularly be found roaming in bookshops trying to discover a new good novel, and you would habitually find yourself correcting the grammar mistakes of you and your friends. And then you would not be preparing for an exam; you would be enjoying a new-found love in your life.

Slow down, select questions: The biggest trap in the verbal section is that everyone can read English. And since everyone can read English, everyone reads the complete section and attempts more than 70% of the questions. And thereby everyone attempts the section at a jet set speed not caring about the accuracy. And when the results come out, students discover that there wrong answers are more than their correct ones. It is a mystery to me why students do not treat the verbal section similar to the quant or DI section and select limited number of questions to solve. In CAT 2008, I overlooked two categories of usage questions completely and also overlooked one or two questions in every RC passage. I spent a lot of time solving the rest of the questions and since I had selected a limited number of questions, I had enough time to understand them and solve them.

Remember this: attempting too many questions is the reason your accuracy is so low in the verbal section!

So next time you attempt a paper, select a few questions in the verbal section and spend sufficient time on solving them. 

Come and join us in our CBT Club to know more abotu your verbal preparation. We shall try to chart your preparation strategy in our CBT Club.

If you think this article was useful, help others by sharing it with your friends!

Bookmark and Share
You might also like:
Sentence Correction Tips
English Usage / Grammar Compendium

Re: How to Prepare for the Verbal Section in CAT
by amit kumar - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 05:06 AM
  Nice article sir.

I also come from same background and agree with you that reading is important.

I attempted Cat 2008 and was able to get only 90 percentile in verbal because i kept testing me throughout the year rather than
gathering skills.
Even this year i was doing the same and wont do it from tomorrow.

I totally agree with you when you say "Students who attempt to master the verbal section fail to understand the difference between skills and testing. Solving an RC is testing. Developing the reading habit is skill. Solving a parajumble is testing. Developing the sixth sense of continuity of idea through reading is skill. Solving a grammar question is testing. Picking up a grammar book and learning grammar completely is skill. Most students waste time testing themselves in place of gathering skills." that is so true and applicable to most of the aspirants.

From now onwards i am going to start what u suggested

1)Economist
2)Hindu Editorials
3)Articles on Philosophy,post modernism,art

I spend my weekends in local coffee shop with a novel and coffeesmile,but still i have not read many novels suggested by you,will read two at least in a week.

All the coaching institutes keep giving advise that you should do this and that,but i have never come across any person who has faced the same difficulties while preparing and knows what exactly is required.

Will follow everything what you suggested.

Regards
Amit

Regards
Amit smile
by cat killer - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 01:33 PM

Sir,

You have hit the nail on its head. Surely, gathering skills is more important than testing ourselves with premature preparation. You have given information on how to develop verbal skills. Will definitely follow your advice. Can you please suggest how to develp quant skills. I am very poor in quant. Howmuch ever I practise it, I still do not get the logic. I do not understand what I am lacking in? How to go about?

You want to be in top 1500 students out of 3 lac students and you think that you can study enough? Get Real! --- This phrase is very catchy and will remember it all through the preparation.

Regards

SK

by Totaly Gadha - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 03:24 PM
  Wooo...
Mind blowing !!

by Abhishek Pateriya - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 05:08 PM
  Great article sir. I am really scared of verbal section. I always find interest in Quant and DI but lack interest in verbal and I didn't know the reason about it. But after reading the article I have come to know  the reason which is I am scared of language.

Thanks for the article..

by Gaurav Goel - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 06:09 PM

Hi Total Gadha ,

This is my first post on totalgadha and i must say that your articles are really really good and motivational also.This is the first time i am preparing for CAT and i have already started my prepartions.Currently i am working in software MNC in Chennai ,so time management is always a problem for me (Its usual with every software engineer smile  ).

I am reading hindu editorials from past 3 months and i have improved 30% in my reading speed ,vocabulary and general knowledge also.I hope if i continue it for the coming months it will surely help me.

TG please let me know if i have 3 hours a day for my CAT studies then how to manage these 3 hours for my prepartion according to individual sections ?

Thanks for your wonderful articles .

Keep posting.

Regards.

Gaurav

by OnTheGo _Gadha - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 06:56 PM

Hi TG Sir,

I have been reading now for atleast 5months (through Economist, Guardian, and some other articles... on anything where i can lay my hands on). Still I feel there is only very slight difference, I don't know where I am lacking behind apart from being lethargic at times. Though this article is a great booster to keep it going on and on and on...
Comprehending, from what we read, is the main hurdle I'm facing currently, also from the beginning - Any solution TG???? How to target this???
I'm reading Jeffrey Archer's novels nowadays....it is very interesting !!!

"Three failures denote uncommon strength. A weakling has not enough grit to fail thrice."

by Total Gadha - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 07:39 PM
  Hi On the go Gadha,

Please read the difference between reading newspapers and reading novels in this article.

Total Gadha
by OnTheGo _Gadha - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 07:56 PM

Hi TG Sir,

I have been reading novels at home and all other online reading at office(i missed this in my earlier post).

by Total Gadha - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 07:58 PM
  Hi Gaurav,

See if this can help you:

http://totalgadha.com/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2619

Total Gadha
by Total Gadha - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 07:59 PM
  Hi OnTheGo_Gadha,

Then keep going. And start going harder and faster. Increase the number of novels. smile

Total Gadha
by jai prakash - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 08:10 PM
  Sir, As always your caption picture is very appealing.
I would not like to comment on your writing, as it would be a redundant job.
by OnTheGo _Gadha - Thursday, 5 March 2009, 08:39 PM

Thank You TG Sir!!!

Definitely Sir, OnTheGo_Gadha will run harder and faster now....(Wish I could make this puppy run towards the other directiontongueout)

by Serial Sinner - Friday, 6 March 2009, 12:31 AM
  Hi Sir,
I was wondering...Serious fiction and serious literature would include what?
Cheers,
Shruti.
by Total Gadha - Friday, 6 March 2009, 12:43 AM
  Rushdie, J.M. Coetzee, D. H. Lawrence, Kazuo Ishiguro, Dickens, and a lot others...
by Krushang Shah - Friday, 6 March 2009, 12:21 PM
  Thanx a lot sir for such an excellent article...

actually with a ridiculous 5.30%iles in CAT 2008... I thought that i even dont know the proper ABCD...

but i have started my preparation once again, but i dont know which route to follow to reach to 95%ile from 5%ile...

But thanx a lot sir... today i got the route... n of course its my duty to follow the route...
by Tuhin Banerjee - Sunday, 8 March 2009, 03:47 AM

Thanks TG, I have raised the same question 2 months before to Dagny, how can I improve my english skill and can reach at least 95 percentile. I  scored 13 percentile (-2) in CAT 2008. Dagny and Gowri help me a lot , I have realised that english is the section where we have no short cut. The only thing you have to be master  on this subject, you have to love it and above all you have to grind this subject with your feeling.

I am preparing myself with full passion, 

Thanks a lot once again for your Confidence boosting article.         

by ABHISHEK GUHA THAKURTA - Sunday, 8 March 2009, 09:26 AM
  sir i think it is a mind blowing article for students like us.. who r going wayward with their va sections..

reading has to be inculcated within oneself and i wholly agree with u..

most of the teachers in our cat classes speak of skimming and scanning the passage.. but i have found out.. tht sometimes it takes more time than ..it wud have takn.. if we had read it completely..

by Neha Durga - Monday, 9 March 2009, 01:23 PM

nice article...inspiring one..

thanks

by Parag Paratkar - Monday, 9 March 2009, 06:40 PM
  Hi TG,
         Thank you very much for such an excellent,inspiring and path illuminating  article.You are simply the best.

-Parag
by mayank jain - Tuesday, 10 March 2009, 12:15 PM
  great article sir
im a student of tathagat..n uptil now it smehw didnt strike me of the diff btw skill gathering and testing..
by Ravi M - Tuesday, 10 March 2009, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the article.!!

You cure the cause and not the disease.

by King Kong - Tuesday, 10 March 2009, 06:26 PM

Hello Sir,

I would have to admit, i was busy "testing" rather than "gathering skills"..... I knew there was the approach problem, but was unable to trace the way out. It was at this juncture that I was extremely confounded and came across this article of urs.

Ur writing has been very inspirational.

Thanks a lot.

Expecting more of such wonderful insights.

by prachi joshi - Thursday, 12 March 2009, 06:37 PM
  sir,
a great article.....getting real is what we need right now.
sir can u please give some tips for quant too? i am not that good in quant.

by anshuman singh - Friday, 13 March 2009, 02:28 PM
  hi sir,
totally agree wid u .. i have been reading novels ever since i can remember.. finished wid hardy boys by 8th standard, sidney sheldons by 10th, n read complete series by ken follet, jeffery archer and john grisham, n a whole lot more by more fiction writers like wilbur smith etc..scored a 97.xx in cat 08 (59/160)..
but totally went down in quant n di..
now, wat shud be my strategy.. should i continue reading novels(which is my favourite passtime) .. but leaves my with less time for studying Quant n DI .. or shud I hold back on my reading n concentrate on my weak areas now..??
by amit kheterpal - Friday, 13 March 2009, 02:55 PM
  hello sir iam solving all the questions which dagny mam post in verbal forum..mam pls tell me is this enough for my verbal preperation??and my verbal section is the weakest as compare to other sections..
Nice !!
by hbk Not joining IIML - Friday, 13 March 2009, 08:54 PM
  So I shall start one novel and end at another.

I wonder what that pic is supposed to mean !
Re: Nice !!
by OnTheGo _Gadha - Friday, 13 March 2009, 10:33 PM
  @hbk Bak2Basics - pic wud mean...
guess>> People with no skills ends up in a total mess....evil
by Total Gadha - Friday, 13 March 2009, 11:43 PM
  Hi Prachi,

Visit our Quant lessons and study over there. smile

Total Gadha
by amit kheterpal - Saturday, 14 March 2009, 12:19 AM
  hello sir iam solving all the questions which dagny mam post in verbal forum..sir pls tell me is this enough for my verbal preperation??and my verbal section is the weakest as compare to other sections..
by anish verma - Saturday, 14 March 2009, 08:14 AM
  Hi TG Sir,
Great one...
Thanx.
anish
by brendan decruz - Saturday, 14 March 2009, 10:58 AM

Brilliant article........

Often its seen tht passion and undying endurance is what distinguishes the winners from those who were so close yet so far... Passion for reading, or solving puzzles, or gathering knowledge of any type or form, go a long way in helping one ace such exams than a mere test taking ability.

by Jitu Krishna Pradhan - Saturday, 14 March 2009, 11:18 AM

sir,

it boosted my confidence level a lot. I have been reading The hindu, BL, novels and magazines since 5/6 months . But i am not satishfied with my work and feeling as if missing sth though i have improved a lot. The thing is i have to be more focused and consistent with my study.

Thanqqq very much.,...

JITU D ACHVR

by Total Gadha - Saturday, 14 March 2009, 05:12 PM

Hi Amit,

Read the article again? Have I said it is enough? smile

Total Gadha

by amit kheterpal - Sunday, 15 March 2009, 01:08 AM

thank u sir i got the answer of my question..i will start working very hard..

by shanti gattineni - Sunday, 15 March 2009, 02:05 PM
  great article sir..
i am very scared of verbal.. i started reading novels very recently..
sir.. how do i remember words ? what i do when i come across a new word is to refer to the dictionary and continue reading..but i keep forgetting words..
do u suggest me to write down all the new words i learn? how do i revise those? can u suggest me any practical approach of improving my vocab?
by sudhir kumar - Sunday, 15 March 2009, 08:16 PM

Hi TG,

Could not find the contact us link to reach you..so,just writing here.

Recently heard that Arun Sharma has contacted online coaching..Just want to know is there any chance of u starting this  kind of training

It would be really great if we can get to listen your classes and your techniques.

Thank you..

by ravikumar singh - Monday, 16 March 2009, 12:14 AM

hi Tg

this is my first post although i had been following this site for a while now

i feel daunted by reading such accomplishments ,you being a hindi medium student have achieved such a hold on the language ,its amazing , i am intimidated by imagining  the kind of effort you might have put in doing so.

i feel pretty comfortable in VA but quant and DI gives me nightmares , I simply shudder by the thought of solving a CAT level quant or DI question , i wonder how would i make into hallowed portals of IIM which is my dream .

wonder it  would remain a dream forever

by Manika Tandon - Monday, 16 March 2009, 09:50 AM
  i just loved it... n its so true nobody but ur skills can help u in the section.. no shortcuts work INDEED.. n hw cn there b any shortcuts in a LANGUAGE... loved the difference between newspaper nad novel...
TG u awesome as ever... i can already picture u taking verbal lessonscool
by vishal shah - Monday, 16 March 2009, 03:50 PM

Hello TG... I think the article is very inspiring and its to-the-point... We all want to score well in the verbal section of the CAT exam but don't want to put the effort that is needed for such a task... Hats off to you Sir... Now I will put my 100% efforts in this section as I find it the most difficult of all in CAT...

Regards,

Vishal

by ujjawal kumar - Monday, 16 March 2009, 04:10 PM

Very informative article.

so,no more testing sir.

thanks.

by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 17 March 2009, 09:58 PM
  Hi Ravi,

I would talk about Quant-DI preparation soon. Till then, please spend some time in our CAT Quant lessons.

Total Gadha
by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 17 March 2009, 10:01 PM
  Hi Sudhir,

I teach at my classroom CAT training 'TathaGat.' I doubt I have any time left after that to teach online also. But you can post all your doubts on TG and I will answer them. smile

Cheers!

Total Gadha
by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 17 March 2009, 10:03 PM
  Hi Manika,

Thank you. smile And I can never take verbal lessons because I never had any formal education in the subject. I am just good at the section because I followed Mark Twain's advice- Never let your school education come in the way of your learning. tongueout

Total Gadha
by shanti gattineni - Wednesday, 18 March 2009, 06:40 PM
  great article sir..
sir.. how do i remember words ? what i do when i come across a new word is to refer to the dictionary and continue reading..but i keep forgetting words..
do u suggest me to write down all the new words i learn? how do i revise those? can u suggest me any practical approach of improving my vocab?
by bishan sikdar - Thursday, 19 March 2009, 03:56 PM
  it's gr888888888888888888888
by amit kumar - Friday, 20 March 2009, 01:59 AM
  Hi TG sir,
I was waiting for your DI e-book.When it will be out for sale?as there is no complete material for DI,has lots of expectation from the book.

Regards
Amit
by Brijul M P - Saturday, 21 March 2009, 12:05 PM
  Too good article...Really grateful to u...I really tried to start the habit of reading many times..But maintaining that habit is too difficult, i think... The thing is that, i loose interest very easily; But now i know it may be because of lack of strong goals in my mind..But now i really want to do it...I'm cultivating the reading habit,trying out many magazines that i never even thought of reading in life..
I'm sure my hardwork will bear fruits some day..
thnx for this gr8 article...
how to get the exact way
by nidhi tuteja - Saturday, 21 March 2009, 02:33 PM

Respected Sir,

I came to know about this site from my friend. I am a student from engineering college and want to prepare for CAT exam,so please help me out the exact way to achieve all the concepts of english,vocab,Rc's.I donot have less than average vocab right  now and want to prepare for the exam.Help me out exactly that how paper comes and in which way we have to prepare for it and handle the complete syllabus in these coming 7 months.I will be very thankful to you.

Nidhi tuteja

by harihar gupta - Saturday, 21 March 2009, 04:31 PM
  speechless, only this word can give importance and gravity to this topic.perhaps this is the bestever article i read in my memory. i salute you.
by Total Gadha - Saturday, 21 March 2009, 07:20 PM
  Thank you all smile
by amit kheterpal - Monday, 23 March 2009, 01:10 PM

helllo tg sir,

sir , i have decided to leave my cat preperation as my semester exams r starting frm 24th of april and iam not having very good academic record in my engineering but i know that reading is a long term process.

so keeping all the above points in consideration i have concluded that i will start preparing for my semester exams simaltaneously i will continue with my reading skills.

sir ,decision which iam taking is correct or not??

by Ankita Chowdhury - Monday, 23 March 2009, 04:25 PM

Hi TG Sir/Dagny Mam,

Amazing article............................

Can you please tell me the name of a book for word-list...as i have seen for JMET...we need to know word list......

Plz suggest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......(any download if possible...)

Is Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis enough????

Thanks in advance!

by Total Gadha - Monday, 23 March 2009, 06:57 PM
  Hi Ankita,

I know only one good book for vocabulary- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. smile

Total Gadha
by shanti gattineni - Monday, 23 March 2009, 07:19 PM
  great article sir..
by shanti gattineni - Monday, 23 March 2009, 07:21 PM
  TG sir,
sorry to point out...but why is that u dont check all the posts and reply to them? i guess it's not difficult to check the replies from your last reply
by Total Gadha - Monday, 23 March 2009, 08:27 PM
  Hi Shanti,

I can reply only to those questions which I have answers to. Unfortunately, I do not have answer to every question. I can only share what I did for my preparation. But I am aware that students might find it hard to follow.

As I said in the article, I memorized the dictionary. There was no fancy method for doing that. I just used rote learning. After that, I never had to refer to dictionary while reading.

You will have to devise your own way for learning words. Try out different things and see what works best for you.

Total Gadha
by amit kheterpal - Monday, 23 March 2009, 09:00 PM

sir can u pls reply to my question..

by sheetanshu tiwari - Monday, 23 March 2009, 10:51 PM
  sir,
i have just started my MBA preparations and i admit that i don't have the habbit of reading at all, but i am  working hard to kill that bad habbit brutally.
I will certainly work on your tips.
Thanx,
Sheetanshu

by Rajan p - Tuesday, 24 March 2009, 10:39 AM
  Thanks much ! smile
by shanti gattineni - Thursday, 26 March 2009, 07:41 PM
  thank you sir..
by himanshu agawal - Sunday, 29 March 2009, 02:35 PM

Very helpful article sir,

This is my first post at total gadha and after reading this article i have understood why i have not been able to clear cat in the last 3 attempts.

Could you please help us by suggesting some novels...

Thanking you in anticipation

regards,

himanshu

by Pankaj Kumar - Sunday, 29 March 2009, 09:32 PM

Sir, I am attempting CAT since 2006. Every time my percentile in English is in between 80-90. Last year I started this habit of reading novels. Everything i got-Dan Brown,Khuswant Singh,Ayn Rand, Business books like "Straight From the Gut"etc etc.But the problem is that reading books like "Fountainhead" take a lot of time & i am not seeing any visible improvement in my RC/Verbal skills.

I think there is something seriously amiss with my way of reading books.Please suggest the proper way of reading these novels if any. We still have a good 7-8 months before CAT. I fully agree with you that we should aim towards improving our English as a long term goal.Please suggest some ways.....

by mani kumar - Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 12:37 PM
  Good enough
by me UJ - Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 03:29 PM
  I am so touched reading the article sir .
It compelled me rightly to not look at the short cuts ,, but to go ahead to "master the language"
by Total Gadha - Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 07:32 PM
  Hi Pankaj,

Take some small books also- thrillers, detective novels, short stories etc.. Maybe you are attempting too big a thing first. Also, keep reading. You cannot see improvement in 30- 50 novels. Read a lot more. If I can reach from level zero to 98 percentile through reading, so can you. smile

My CAT 2008 result:

TGs result

Total Gadha
by Total Gadha - Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 07:29 PM
  Hi himanshu,

Read any type of novel that you love to read. No suggestions. smile

Total Gadha
by saurabh chauhan - Friday, 3 April 2009, 08:52 PM
  Hi TG,

Found your article very motivational...i request you to throw some more light..on how to increase accuracy in verbal section...i usually attempt more because i am not sure of my answers...so how can i make myself more accurate...which type of questions must be targeted first..?
by Xpress iim - Saturday, 4 April 2009, 01:05 AM
  nice 1 TG sir.. 
by Syed Ahsan - Sunday, 5 April 2009, 06:57 PM
  TOTAL GADHA COME TO BANGALORE

Hello TG Sir,
I have been following your site for almost 2 months and i got to tell you this site is very very impressive, and the most impressive part of you is your Teaching Style and the understanding of students' psyche. Please open up your institute in Bangalore if possible.

Regards,
Syed Ahsan Mohammad
by maddy dat - Monday, 6 April 2009, 02:31 AM
  TG,
this is my first post over here...i dont want to waste ur time in unnecessary appreciation over da article...u r a true winner ...n a highly satisfied person in life..dats all i can c..
now. ..my story z more or less da same as of urs....bengali medium school ..benglish medium engg...but not an iitian..was not able to crack da mains in 2004...i have a 16 percentile in cat 08 verbal with 98 in quant n 97 in di...and da good news z i have somehow manged to know that ..reading z da only way to improve da vocab...n in da lst 2 months i have completed 12 novels...initially listed to gulp some 50 novels within nov..but after reading da article ...i have edited and updated it to a 75(seems like within 8 months 100 z impossible for any working professional ..i gs)...but will i b able to ?..i donno ..i wil try my best to fight it out..
now here comes da problem...RC ..RC speed..Communication skill..n some vocab base z also getting improved ,i can feel dat...but man..da stinking part z da grammer....i donno know how to cope with dat..going through 1 grammer book or 10 ...i dont think wil make any difference ..prima facie it doesnt sound like dat ...coz its grammer ..not vocab ..i cant understand this..vocab z understandabale but...u can improve dat with reading..but  dat z just 50% of da VA..rest z grammer ...n this vary fact makes me numb..trust me....please TG ..i know dat u have da ans...what r da steps n what r da benchmarks dat we should follow to check da improvement and to analyze it ..what did u follow?...TG plz reply this ..briefly..just like da article..please
by SHAUNAK A - Monday, 6 April 2009, 09:01 PM
  Awesome Article, TG smile
by Total Gadha - Monday, 6 April 2009, 09:32 PM
  Hi Maddy,

I have CAT 08 paper in hand here. If I see the grammar and usage questions they are only 8 in number which is forms only 20% of the total. Therefore, RC and related questions make nearly 80% of the section.

That said, I do not think you should ignore grammar at all. But doing grammar from 10 books would only make you confused and forgetful in the end. Pick up ONE great grammar book (you can choose one from our bookstore also) and finish it end to end many times. That ways, you would have a lot of grammar solidified inside your head. Also, know that grammar turns out to be the most arduous and boring section in the verbal section. You would not be able to learn it well unless you work with zeal and eagerness to learn.

The benchmarks are not very easy for grammar. CAT questions in the past have been really wicked. I am sure they shake the grammar knowledge of many instructors even. I think you would have to go with your gut feel here. If you slowly start feeling confident about your grammar and can detect the nuances of grammar in the novels that you read, I think you would have arrived by and large.

Total Gadha
by maddy dat - Tuesday, 7 April 2009, 01:31 AM
  thanks a lot..tg..i will try my best to complete 1 grammer book end to end..  ..as many times as possible.. thanks for ur reply..
by kunal kishore - Wednesday, 8 April 2009, 11:12 AM

i feel its really work, wheather news paper reading too..

by i4iim . - Wednesday, 8 April 2009, 12:50 PM

Dear Total gadha,

As usual the Content published was Very helpfull , awesome and hit the bulls eye.

My doubt is, in the bookstore we have umpteen no of books for Grammer. So which one book (or) two books should buy ?

I can understand you dont suggest 30 best novels to read etc  etc, but definately you can suggect a couple of must read books which covers most of the topics clearly.

so could you plz let me know which 1/2 books should i follow. i finsih these 1/2 books many times before cat 09.

Thanks for  your  time

by vivek kumar - Sunday, 12 April 2009, 05:55 PM

Nice article sir,

While going through yours article I came to know about the actual preparation that CAT or any other similar test required.previously I was emphasizing on soliving more and more questions Of RC,Eng Usage,andgulping enough of the word which I use to collect from newspaperor or From RC.

sir,... I had started preparation for CAT since Feb of this year & will be Appearing in CAT_2010. I had never been gone through any novel or any fiction's books.I want to develop my reading skill And in this I need your help.Please suggest me some books to start with.sir please guide me. Iwill be awaiting of your suggestion and reply. 

From

vivek kumar

by divya chaudhary - Monday, 13 April 2009, 10:49 PM
  sir i also want to ask the same thing...which is the best book for preparation of grammar..i have just started preparation for cat...
n please tell the same about quant too..
by Total Gadha - Wednesday, 15 April 2009, 07:52 PM
  Hi Vivek and Divya,

My recommendation would be to pick up books by Raymond Murphy or Martin Hewings from the TG Book Store.

Total Gadha
how to prepare cat
by kuldeep singh - Thursday, 16 April 2009, 06:06 PM
  sir, i am so confused in these days. with due respect..i scored 65%ile in cat 2008.at this time i am preparing for cat 2009. .sir i wanna share my problem .i have bad grads in my collage,1th  year due in english,2&3 th year due in chemistry.i got 56.61% in collage.i have 3 sports certificate .2 blood donation certificate,1 good performance in 8th board.can u help me and tell me how can i will get iims or top b-schools.plz respond me.thanks
by Rajat Vashishta - Sunday, 19 April 2009, 11:05 PM
  smile
by Mitr M - Monday, 20 April 2009, 02:38 PM
  I know thanks won't suffice....but this one's really heart felt, 3 lac people...and you think you can study enough!!! 
by Koushik Sarkar - Monday, 20 April 2009, 03:07 PM
  Sir,

could please suggest some websites where I can find articles on varied topics?
by lavaneesh gautam - Monday, 20 April 2009, 04:40 PM

hi TG

it is my first post to Total Gadha and it is my first day too. i read your article about verbal section in CAT. It is a very nice article.

i wnt some help from you. i am working in MNC at hyderabad from past two years. last time in CAT i got 90 percentile with 60 in verbal. now from past one month i am preparing for GMAT and have decided to write in july end and will start my preparation for CAT. 

Please suggest me i am on a right path or not as verbal level of GMAT is also good , so prearing for GMAT will finally improve my verbal skills. so help to make my time table for both gmat and cat .

regards

Lavaneesh 

by lavaneesh gautam - Monday, 20 April 2009, 04:45 PM

please also suggest which reading will be better either from e-material or text material as that is diffrence b\w GMAT and CAT.

thanks

by Ankita Chowdhury - Monday, 27 April 2009, 10:26 AM

TG Sir,

Please suggest me a book for JMET maths.PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!

by Sugato Ray - Monday, 27 April 2009, 03:00 PM
  Sir,

This article is truly fantastic in its own simple but honest approach in inspiring to "love and learn" the language itself rather than focusing on shortcuts to score mechanically/by fluke. In fact, I have always liked delving into the core of the subject matter as it is more interesting and strengthens one's fundamental knowledge.

But, there is a trade off between  the "number of attempts" and "accuracy". As, anybody would agree getting correct too less could be trouble for a CAT aspirant, I would like to ask you, what is the approximate number of questions that you would attempt in terms of percentage of the total number of questions in order to clear the cutoff for the verbal (English) section with ease?
by Eternal Flame - Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 12:01 AM

Brilliant Article !!!! Reading has never been close to what i like but now i will try to amend my ways to achieve greater glory. 

by anshul kandpal - Saturday, 2 May 2009, 01:57 AM

sir, i'l just say what u often hear from your students.i hardly get time off from work.im often working on sundays.1 hour a day is a luxury.i really want to get into a b-school in 2010.but i wonder how i'l be able to write any exam in the currrent year.

please help sir.im in sales.smile

by priyanka rao - Tuesday, 5 May 2009, 12:46 PM
  thanx a lot sir.... now i get the diffrence between what i 've been doing and what i  should do be doing  to master this section .... 
by rahul rahul - Thursday, 7 May 2009, 10:45 PM

Over the last few years, I have completely shifted to serious fiction.

What kind of srious fiction pl. specify.

by rahul dbond - Friday, 8 May 2009, 01:02 AM

hi sir..

i m having 2 and half months break for summers. and all this i would like to devote for english section.

sir please guide me how to step ahead to maximize the utilization of my break.

plzzzz help

by nidhi duggal - Friday, 8 May 2009, 06:30 AM

I found your article very thoughtprovoking and practically very true...that most of the times we are just testing our knowledge of Verbal and never investing time in sharpening our skills..reading.

I can really appreciate the idea of "Love for reading "  coz personally I have realized this newfound passion in my life only recently and this has helped me a lot in all phases of life. 

Good going.....!!!!

by kavi Mani Kumar K S - Thursday, 14 May 2009, 02:31 AM
  Dear TG,

Amazing article.

Regards,
Kavi.
by iim freak - Thursday, 14 May 2009, 02:46 PM

Hi TG sir .. really a moving post .. thanks a ton.

i am aiming at CAT'09 n was planning to strt solving atleast 1 RC passage per day from 2day but now as u said i will  nt test myself but develop the skills by developing my sixth sense and article adhering power ...

by Avinash T - Sunday, 17 May 2009, 01:57 AM
  Hi..your article was surely an interesting read..Nothing beats the natural...a true fact...but sometimes strategies too help..your cramming of dictionary provided you an edge in reading as sometimes in reading when you encounter a load of words which you don't know then it makes the reading boring...and incomprehensible too..it's only when you know maximum of words the article becomes interesting and worth a read.....how do you suggest to tackle such kinda situation...because normally in exam this kind of situation is frequent...
by srini vasan - Wednesday, 20 May 2009, 05:39 PM
  Hi TG,

I have been a member of the TG group from 2007. I found almost all the article with lots of "NEW" information. This article is no different.

I attempted 2007 and 2008 CAT. I got qualifying scores for quant and DI but around 30 %ile scores in English. I have tried hard to focus on reading, and reading more. But always my logical mind works faster than the language one. So I always find a logical answer to a verbal question.

Also, one point which is making me hard to concentrate is the fact about the verbal question structure.

I made a small analysis on CAT 2006, CAT 2007 paper.
I collected the answer keys for the english section from different institutes (before the actual keys from IIM).

Compared them and found around 60% of the questions have different answer keys from different institute. Please keep in mind the answer keys are given by instructors at their leisure time, without any time pressure.

If on the D-day, I answer these 60% questions, I bound to have low score. Is it worth trying again?
what do you say?

Anyways, I always enjoyed preparing for CAT.

Cheers,
Srini
by nidhi soni - Tuesday, 26 May 2009, 10:11 PM
  thnku so much TG.this is very very motivating for hindi medium students.....and for me kind of ppl who r very much scraed of this english section.i will try this out n m sure it will work smile
by ankit singh - Friday, 29 May 2009, 06:27 PM

sir currently I have given exams of b.tech 3rd year... I want to prepare for CAT '09 ...But one question is haunting me these days... I heard it from my friend that IIMs are more intrested in IIT and NIT students... and they don't even consider the students from 'not so famous'  Institutes seriously... please throw some light sir.... I am very much upset...I have planned to start my preparation in these holidays...Now what sir ? If somehow I cracke CAT , will they KICK me in interview ????? Please sir tell me...I have maintained 60 + percentage in b.tech...but my college is not so renowned...

Waiting for your reply sir.

by Total Gadha - Friday, 29 May 2009, 09:33 PM
  Hi Ankit,

IIMs are full of students from diverse backgrounds and different colleges. Don't pay heed to such notions. Students, whether from IIT or non-IIT, are there only because they have performed better than the others. That is the only criterion for selection.

Total Gadha
by ankit singh - Sunday, 31 May 2009, 08:51 AM
  Thank you Sir ! 
by samir mishra - Monday, 1 June 2009, 11:59 PM
  hi all

please suggest good novel to read...so that I can gather good verbal skill....

as of now I have read..

1.The monk who sold his Ferrari.

2.Alchemist

3.one night at call center

4.count the chicken before they hatch

5.five point some one
by ashutosh gupta - Wednesday, 3 June 2009, 04:15 PM

HI.

I would only like to add that its truly said ...

there is no shortcut and you have to love the language in order to get a command over it ..

well said.

Ashutosh gupta

by Anshu Priya - Wednesday, 3 June 2009, 05:33 PM

Hi

Which grammar books are good and worth reading?

-- Anshu

by haritha rangareddy - Wednesday, 3 June 2009, 07:19 PM

great article sir,

since an year i am struggling how to crack the verbal section of CAT?.....but now i have got about 80 % of idea ........still i have ceratin doubts........which books are the best to learn grammar?.........please answer my query sir?............

so,atleast this year let my dream come true to be one among those 1500 students out of 3 lacs

I am ver happy with ur guidance sir.....

by Nishant Sharma - Friday, 5 June 2009, 08:48 PM

very effective suggestion

thanks.

by Parth Verma - Sunday, 7 June 2009, 06:28 PM
  awesome article.... smile
how to prepare for verbal section in cat
by avinanda dutta - Monday, 8 June 2009, 03:51 PM
  i do not have natural reading skills  which novels are suggested to read?
by sachin kumar - Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 08:49 AM
  THANK YOU SIR!!!!
by Harum Scarum - Wednesday, 10 June 2009, 09:02 AM
  Your CAT score is an inspiration smile
by ankit singh - Wednesday, 10 June 2009, 10:36 AM
  IS THE RUMOR TRUE THAT THE "AGENCY" WHICH SETS THE PAPER FOR GRE AND GMAT IS GOING TO SET THE PAPER FOR CAT '09 ? IF SO..THEN THE VOCAB WILL BE DOMINATING ....??????  
by abhilesh chandra - Wednesday, 10 June 2009, 05:22 PM

Fantastic, lovely, amazing and most importantly inspiring.

Thanks a ton for this ice breaker. I have been trying to crack CAT since long but always screwed up verbal section. Prior to your article, I understood the importance of reading and hence finished about 7-8 novels in 5/6 months. Now I must follow this practise more sincerely and gather verbal skill at its best.

Again, Many Thanks for the help!!!!

regards,

Abhi

by Total Gadha - Wednesday, 10 June 2009, 11:37 PM
  Hi Abhilesh,

Good luck for this year. Read any novel but read at least 2- 3 novels per week. smile

Total Gadha
by DHEERAJ LAL - Thursday, 11 June 2009, 01:38 PM

HI TG SIR,,

I AM HINDI MEDIUM BACKGROUND,I HAVE FACED SO MANY DIFFICULTIES WHILE LEARNING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE,EVEN THEN I AM TRYING MY BEST AND NOW AT SOME EXTENT I AM TO ABLE TO CONVERSATE.BUT I AM WILLING TO START READING NOVELS,PLEASE SUGGEST ME. I AM A BEGGINER SO PLEASE HELP ME....

THANK U

by nidhi Srivastava - Thursday, 11 June 2009, 05:47 PM
  hello sir

it is a great article
I m not from a good school and right now facing facing the same difficulty.
I m working so hard to improve my language abilities but whenever i look at the improvement i usually feel that at this rate i wont be able to reach that place where i want myself to be.
please help give me some guidance so as to help me to discover at what pace shud i go so as to enable myself to learn the language .
by Atishay Jain - Friday, 12 June 2009, 03:50 PM

hello Tg sir,

A highly enlightening and motivating article!!

I am not in the habit of reading at all, still I have started reading the Hindu. Could you please suggest some novels and articles to enhance The vocabulary and RC skills as you had mentioned.

Thank You!

by mayank agrawal - Saturday, 13 June 2009, 07:44 PM
  hello tg sir,
i have a doubt that which type of work exp help us in getting calls from iims and other gud b schools , in my case i m an engineer and i am having 6 months of teaching in an engineering college.
and if i arrange a exp certi from a small company will it work.
by Prince Kumar - Sunday, 14 June 2009, 09:48 AM

cool wow! What an inspiring article! Thank you TG.

I do support it but what I personally feel is that to crack an exam like CAT, you have to be in exam mode. I have a friend who read many novels and infact crammed up many words directly from oxford,but couldnt do much in CAT.

Ofcourse lot of reading helps not only in preps. but it widens your perspective and paradigm, but to go for CAT you need to approach the way questons come . You may start a novel and forget the 1st page by the time you come to 4th page. That wont help and for that you need to practice questions, real time RC questions.

Thats my thought, revert for any differencesevil

by kirthi chekuri - Monday, 15 June 2009, 11:43 AM
  sir,
    this article opened my eyes . sir i completed my b tech 1 st year in iit m.
 my present goal is to prepare for cat. can you please suggest me good grammar book to start with and improve my english skills from zero level.
by Total Gadha - Monday, 15 June 2009, 12:11 PM
  Hi Kirthi,

First start reading novels. Any novel will do. Read at least 3 novels a week. For grammar, try books of Raymond Murphy.

Total Gadha
by sumit goel - Monday, 15 June 2009, 06:03 PM

hi tg sir! this is my first post although i am following ur site religously frm last 2months......bt nw i am facing problem in va section(as per my last mock in a instt), m able to clear qa n lrdi cutoffs vid appropriate marks.....but as va cums i strt skimming n paper become soporific to me.....n thts y i m nt even able to stnd near d cutoffsad.......please guide me somethng as i have put my b.tech on d edge for CAT.

thanks in advance

sumit

by abhijeet dutta - Tuesday, 16 June 2009, 01:44 PM
  one small question

"students discover that there wrong answers are more than their correct ones."

shouldn't this be "their" instead of "there"
by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 16 June 2009, 02:40 PM
  yep. smile
by RAKESH AGRAWAL - Tuesday, 16 June 2009, 09:42 PM
  Dear Sir,

It is the same condition i m facing with my English...It is what i had experienced and going through with my english..

My problem is that sir i get bored very early when i start reading..I m not able to make it regular...My vocab is very poor

i will be very thankful to u sir if could tell me a right mix of materials/books n respective schedule for mastering english in its every vertical..i.e. grammer, vocab, RC etc.

I really want to learn it..
Plzzzzzzz helppppppppp me sir.........
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sir
by luvy # - Thursday, 18 June 2009, 11:48 AM
  It's A very very very PRACTICAL ARTIcAl... next time i will surely try to grab english...
by dinesh das - Thursday, 18 June 2009, 04:25 PM

its a mindblowing article....

really u need to love the language if you need to learn it.....

i will keep it in mind

by deepak goel - Thursday, 18 June 2009, 10:17 PM

great article sir .........

for cat ,,i mean every section ,,,,i hav to b in love wid d basics ,,,,,,

i think reading newspaper,analysing balance sheets of companies n analysing rd sharma's problems derivation thal ol can help much more than writing a mock test ,,,,,

if u r mugging d questions,,u r just emptying ur brain's free space ,,,,,,,,

DEEPAK

by D SG - Saturday, 20 June 2009, 06:02 PM
  thank u sir for the wonderful article.
i am really apprehensive about VA and RC sections.
i fully support your views that there're no shortcuts to crack this exam.i'll b helpful if you tell me what to do and what not to do for the next 5 months to gain full confidence before the exams.
by Rajat Joshi - Monday, 22 June 2009, 01:44 AM

hello sir..

wonderful article...this is my first post on TG

I completed my engg. in 2007 ...n after that i joined my home business partially  along with that i also startted prepration for Cat...

i appered in CAT07 n 08 in which i score 40%ile n 55 %ile...i got frustedted n then i decided that i will never try for it again..i realize that smyhing is wrong with my prepration...so sir plz suggest me that should i take admission in d college from state level exam or i should try for Cat 09 <as final attemp> ??

plz help me out...how to crack d cat or get in d best b school..

plz suggest me wat should i do to make things correct

by Praveen Sharma - Monday, 22 June 2009, 06:36 PM

I do agree with this article that reading could improve your english knowledge but can it improve your verbal knowledge? Won't you do the mistake when you come up with the word having similar pronounciation in nature. Reading could improve your verbal communication skill but not your written communication skill. I am also a "Total Gadha" in english even though passing out from india's rank top 3rd college and having 3years of work ex in top MNc.

You have improved your english beacause once upon a time you have been through the whole dictationary followed by several novel. was it possible for you to go through the novel first and then the dictionnary... absolutely not!!

Guys I am being total gadha like you would like to request you to follow my suggestions because i hope very soon i will comeup with the right approach to tackle verbal part in  CAT2009.

So far I have planned for 2009 CAT are as follows

Complete the English Grammar book

10 frequently used word everyday  and there uses

News Paper everyday along with sample paper after 2-3 months.

by Total Gadha - Monday, 22 June 2009, 07:50 PM
  Hi Rajat,

Have a look at this. It might help:

http://totalgadha.com/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2619

Total Gadha
by Total Gadha - Monday, 22 June 2009, 08:06 PM
  Hi Praveen,

To be frank I started reading before building my vocabulary. smile Although I would like both to go hand in hand, if there is a time crunch I would bet on reading rather than vocabulary. Reading can help you solve nearly the whole paper whereas the output of investing time in vocabulary is questionable.

Total Gadha
by Rajat Joshi - Tuesday, 23 June 2009, 12:49 AM

Hello sir...i just visited that forum page... of which you send me an link..

i also gone through the posts of other CAT aspirants...after reading an reply which was given by u to an aspirant...i am become very confuse...have a look....

Hi Robin,

Join whichever coaching you want to but do NOT take a drop. Take up a good job and then work towards your MBA.

Total Gadha

sir in my case as i told u before that i am partially involve in my bussiness...

and in last two yers i gain some experience...but i can't show my experience on paper...and thus this two year are JUST LIKE DROP YEARS for me...

now pls help me out that wheather i should go for CAT-09 or should i take admission through some state level exams...<my score in state exams are gud>..

i'm nerves becoz i thought many times that i didn't take my self up to d level 2 crack it...

give me suggestion for this...

by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 23 June 2009, 01:43 AM
  Hi Rajat,

Why do students present me with an either/or case? Doesn't any of you know the magic of AND? Take admissions through some state level exam and then take CAT also. If you are determined you will prepare there also. If you are not determined you would not have cleared CAT anyways...And since you are not working and are 'partially' involved in business, why sit idle?

Total Gadha
by Rahul Jha - Wednesday, 24 June 2009, 01:45 PM
  I started my preparation for cat 2008 in june 2008 and kept flunking in VA .
out of the 18 mocks i took i cleared VA  cutoff only 6 times, but i used to score 99.7%ile + overall.

So the only mantra for me was to crack VA. I put in efforts in the right direction and bang in CAT 2008, I score 76/160 ( 99.5%ile in verbal) with a total of 99.97%ile.

I credit myself for this remarkable turnaround, for having worked day in day out on verbal.

I have just one thing to tell all of you, if I can do it, anyone of you can do it.

Good Luck!
by ajit p - Wednesday, 24 June 2009, 01:59 PM

Dear Sir,

First of all congratulations for the gr8 work you are doing.This is a very useful article.

I completely agree that we need to master the skill not just get the knowledge.And reading will definitely improve ones command over english in long term.

But, now CAT being less than 6 months away, is it advisable to read novels rather then focus on other intricacies of verbal ability(like para jumble, FIJs, RC, Sentence Correction etc)?

Why I am asking this is, i came across a article which said reading fiction for a short duration wont help much for CAT.

So, can you advise me?

by Manisha Sharma - Wednesday, 24 June 2009, 03:36 PM

Thanks a lot Dude!!!

now i ll find my way out!!!

by Vivek Hingorani - Friday, 26 June 2009, 12:52 AM
  Nice Article and really motivating.. keep posting..
by raghav ahuja - Friday, 26 June 2009, 04:35 PM
  hi, this is Raghav Ahuja i am preparing for this first online CAT, and its not really easy to sit in front of a screen and read these tough passages, do you have any tips regarding it,
and also i want to know which books help overall "fiction or non-fiction", i am fond of reading but till now i thought i am wasting my time reading fiction books, and should i take it as a part of my prepration for CAT?
by Tanmay Mishra - Friday, 26 June 2009, 10:19 PM
  Hi Sir,
          First of all thanks for ur this guiding as well as motivating post. I am a CAT 2010 aspirant. I too is from hindi medium and want to concentrate more on my verbal part. I m reading novels since last 2 months, but the real problem is that i m not able to understand the meaning of all the words. Everytime when i see a new word i had to check a dictionary for it, it is very irritating and sometimes i get frusteted and stops reading. I too know this wil not help me.
         Therefore i had decided to learn a whole dictionary as u did in ur early days covering 4-5 pages per day. So could u plz suggest me a good dictionary which i could learn by heart. ( Not to build a good vocab but to learn the meaning of all general words) Please reply soon.

Regards,

Tanmay Mishra smile
SGSITS Indore
2007-2011 ( expected) 
by dipna sharma - Sunday, 28 June 2009, 01:52 AM

indeed i fully agree that verbal is not about combating english its more of loving the language dearly and giving it as much heartfelt care as other sections.

i'm weak in quant only b'coz i'm not doing justice with it. i wish i could develop as much fawning as i have for verbal

its very right that selection of lucrative questions to be answered is as important in verbal as in other.

by Tanmay Mishra - Sunday, 28 June 2009, 01:35 PM
  Hey Sir,
              Please reply me soon. I am waiting for your replay. i dont want to waste my time.
                        Thanks....
by DIVYA BANGA - Wednesday, 1 July 2009, 04:06 PM

itz jus awesum...

plz help me to develop my interest in reading..

by girdhar bansal - Monday, 6 July 2009, 11:40 AM
  hello sir
you have mentioned about reading 100 novels and 2-3 grammar books
i m ready to do that so plz just tell send names of the books and novels in preference order to start with  and time to finish some initials 5  novels and 1 book. plz send me a mail at g4bansal@gmail.com. i'll keep in touch with you plz help me i need it very badly.
plz
by Pankaj Dahiya - Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 08:15 PM
  Nice Article Sir....

Kind of showing the ground reality.
Same thing happens with most of the students preparing for the CAT.
There is a real difference between learning something and keep on testing something particularly with studies.

A real helpful article for realizing the reality.

Thanks
by deshal saraiya - Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 10:40 PM
  hello sir ,

Your article for making verbal section strong is motivating .But sir for developing my grammer skills which is the book i should refer.Wren & Martin is good for it .

Regards,
 Deshal.
How to Prepare for the Verbal Section in CAT
by manoj kedarisetty - Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 11:25 PM
  Thank you for your valuable suggestions.
by Prabhu Narayanan - Thursday, 9 July 2009, 05:33 AM
  TG Sir,
i have started working out after seeing your awesome article. I still need some tips for writing essays. Could you suggest some.. Thanks
by pritam mondal - Friday, 10 July 2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks for taking up this topic.I am new to totalgadha but not to CAT. I have taken CAT twice and both the time I have done exceptionally well in Quant and DI (even cleared the cut off of IIMs) but never able to get good marks in Verbal section.

I need some desperate help to clear this section. I have read almost 80 novels and had pretty good marks during my whole life of schooling but still couldn't manage to clear the verbal section.

by Sapthagiri Miriyala - Friday, 10 July 2009, 04:53 PM
  `What`an article to read
`How` passionately written

very true..... very transparent

this is simply a `masterpiece'

by Ankit Megotia - Saturday, 11 July 2009, 12:22 PM
  hello TG sir,
first of all , thank you for stimulating the interest in such an excessive amount
that getting into IIM have become a passion, rather than just a dream.
sir, i have been solving the crossword since few days now. but i cant figure out the knack of dealing wit it.
for eg. : " point made by decapitating an animal"
     ans:   east
i couldn't even try to speculate that one.
is there some technique or it comes by practice??
please help..!!
by dipak ramavat - Thursday, 16 July 2009, 11:07 PM

thank u sir 4 ur valuable insights.  i had my basic edu. in marathi. but 4 past 5/6 years i hav been avid reader. as u said we must love the language, i love it &tnow onwards i wil follow ur advice with improved focus.

by devendra singh - Sunday, 19 July 2009, 12:33 PM

sir,

i am regular viewer of ur site from last 1 year but its my first reply,as u said go through no. of novels ,magzines,editorials,i am totally agree with u ,if u going to solve any R.C it required skills in which u have to sum up all the co-relation which is happening in pragraph, know very well there is no any miraculous formula which will master u in single day or in month......

regards

Devendra singh

GUIDANCE NEEDED
by jatin wadhwa - Sunday, 19 July 2009, 06:52 PM

The points raised and the methodologies suggested are really good. But when it comes to testing the skills, then what is the ideal way of doing it.

Attempting mock tests seems to be the most obvious answer, but still a doubt boils up in my mind. While cross checking the answers with the key, how can we be sure that the answers given there are correct. In other words, year on year we have seen all the top shot institutes posting their solution key for the entrance exams, and many of them are incorrect when compared  with the actual evaluation key released by the CAT authorities, with most of the deviation are in verbal section. So in a way these people also do not know what the actual approach is. This acts like a double sided sword.

1. If the answer that we have marked is actually correct, but the answer key suggests otherwise, then we are bound to follow that and learn a wrong approach to the question.

2. On the other hand, if we have marked a question incorrectly and the key also contains the same answer as ours, then we will become confident on our wrong methodology.

So what is the correct way to evaluate the present level, so that the endeavour can be channelized in the right direction.

Desperately seeking for a reply

Jatin

by kumar swambhu - Wednesday, 22 July 2009, 07:25 PM

very nice article,

hats off

by brijesh singh - Tuesday, 8 September 2009, 11:30 PM
  hi sir another awsum n vey important article .....sir i m in 1st year of my college doing B.COM honours n like any many others i hav a dream of studying in IIM-A so i hav started preparing from now nly like reading novels ,dictionary,magazines,vedic maths,...but sir my big problem is that i dont hav fluency in english n i speak quite fast as a result of which d other person is not able to understand n dis is a big problem during interview n group discussion.....so sir plz help me
by brijesh singh - Tuesday, 8 September 2009, 11:31 PM
  hi sir another awsum n vey important article .....sir i m in 1st year of my college doing B.COM honours n like any many others i hav a dream of studying in IIM-A so i hav started preparing from now nly like reading novels ,dictionary,magazines,vedic maths,...but sir my big problem is that i dont hav fluency in english n i speak quite fast as a result of which d other person is not able to understand n dis is a big problem during interview n group discussion.....so sir plz help me
by brijesh singh - Tuesday, 8 September 2009, 11:33 PM
by Prathmesh Thergaonkar - Saturday, 17 October 2009, 11:48 AM
  as cat is now comp. based i have started to read more e-books but is it necessary to read psychology related books like you suggested
i read a lot of fiction from dan brown to jeffrey archer should i read more serious material
by Pankaj Kumar - Friday, 30 October 2009, 10:22 AM
  Hi TG,
found this article very helpful. Can you please write sth like (How to Prepare..) for Quant and DI  ( which is now reasoning oriented more) also.

Many Thanks
by Pooja Agrawal - Tuesday, 17 November 2009, 11:35 PM
  Good Evening SIr ,
a really good article.
I agree with you and i am starting reading more from now but one thing worrying me is very less time left for CAT. Though i m not very weak but not very strong candidate too. My english is average.Please guide more if possible. Please tell me novel to start with. i have completed who moved my cheese, and some story books. i am presently reading The monk who sold his ferrari.
by riki gupta - Thursday, 3 December 2009, 06:02 PM
  Hi TG sir,
i read the whole article carefully. Ur article is so impressive.How u write such an impressive manner???

Plz reply.
by Ruchi Jain - Saturday, 5 December 2009, 07:36 PM

Hi , I am new to total gadha. I almost have a similar prob.. i can easily take care of quant and DI .. but Verbal ... seems to be my nemesis .. seems to be the one block that would keep me away from iim a... have tried norman lewis already ... though am not sure how much that helped .. have this huge wordlist that was given to me by CL ... i dislike even the sight of it .. i am working currently .. so there is hardly any time for reading .. please help !!

by Himanshu Kumar u - Thursday, 4 March 2010, 05:42 PM
  Its a very Inspirational Article.Thanks a whole lot TG sir for guiding us perfectly.I really understood the difference between Skills and Testing.Could you please suggest me,how to increase the reading speed?Currently I have a reading speed of 250 words per minute.I want to increase to 1000 words per minute.Please help me.
Cheers smile
by siddharth jain - Monday, 6 September 2010, 08:04 PM
  sir,
 i am new to this site...i already have started reading but only two months left for cat 2010... should i now start learning vocab or read newspaper and novels,,, plz help me as i m not comfortable with rc ,,,
by Arnab Guha Mallik - Tuesday, 7 September 2010, 01:13 AM
  Sir,
I came to know about totalgadha.co from a friend and I find the site excellent. I am weak in Verbal Ability. I attempted the cat verbal ability quiz and performed terribly. I desperately need the Detailed solutions to the cat verbal ability quiz(55 questions). They are very hard and I need to rectify my mistakes. I didn't find the solutions in the verbal forum. I want to analyse the mistakes and learn from them now that cat 2010 isn't 60 days away. Please Please help. sad
I will be grateful to You and will be waiting for your reply
by Sourav Sarkar - Sunday, 20 February 2011, 08:32 PM
  hai cat killer,
I also face the same problem i am also weak in quant though i am from technical field.what i do is i try to stick to the basics and browse through as many problems as i can.
Look , only browsing can't help you don't go about solving thousands of problems solve a single type ,try to figure out the shortcut and then imply it in some other part.

Regards,
Sourav
by Martha Justin - Thursday, 10 March 2011, 06:34 PM

In this coursework.

Verbal Ability or Reading Comprehension tests your ability to understand

1. The nuances of the written word
  1. Identify and differentiate the subtleties of meanings of words
  1. Correct syntax, structure and formation of sentences
  1. Identify the complex ideas presented in the paragraph and link it to the overall theme
Climb First building professional for better future
by Neelima Joshi - Wednesday, 13 July 2011, 07:24 AM
  Yes guys I am quit concision about my career and my future them one of my friend he suggest me a CLIMB FIRST and I was very upset and shy to talk to any person in the collage or in the friend circle, and was very much depressed, I use to think I cannot get good education, my entire life will be spoiled because I was from a Vernacular medium. I couldn’t speak English properly, I wanted to go for Higher Studies but for that Entrance Exams are compulsory, then one of my friends in Mumbai told me regarding CLIMB FIRST. with a great hope I joined CLIMB FIRST, and today my entire life is transformed to a bold, well spoken and ready for all the entrance exams in the life. My friends were zapped by this transformation. The Staff in the CLIMB FIRST analyzed my drawbacks in the first meeting itself, from their they transformed me, I recommend to all my friends to join CF CLIMB FIRST for their good future. I would like to thanks the entire CF CLIMB FIRST Team for all they have given me.

Thanks CLIMB FIRST for give me a that much precious education it is my pleasure to get a study from CLIMB FIRST\

Excellent Climb First keep your good going keep it up.....

Best regards
Mrs Joshi
by priyanka j - Saturday, 10 September 2011, 10:08 AM

Hello Daggny mam & TG Sir smile

Both of u is doing a fantastic job. Your lesson are fabulous, contains everything but described in an easy way. A BIG thank for all these articles.smile

Like every person who is preparing for CAT, I do have some queries:

I have started my preparation from July only, I used to study for 3-4 hrs & now from September I am studying for around 8-9 hrs. Not taking any coaching.

Till now I have done the basics of Arithmetic, Algebra, P&C. From last some days I am also doing Quant lessons provided by TG Sir, they are AMAZING.

In DI I have done only10 exercises from CL material.

In verbal I am trying to mug up root words, Study newspaper daily, especially the Editorial & Business page.

1-Is it possible for me to crack CAT as not much time is left now. As my English is not very good or say as per CAT level it’s poor. My Quant & DI are good but don’t know up to the mark for CAT level or not.

2-I have read your articles, reading novels definitely help in long term. In my case what is advisable to do for verbal section.

3-As u said nothing is enough if u wants to stand out of 3 lac students. Very well agree, m ready to word hard, will study for 12hrs. But I think m lacking d proper guidance. So help me out.

4-I am not asking for any shortcut just guide me how well I can utilize these last 2 months. Being practical m aiming for 90 percentile. Is it possible?

5-CAT has changed, but is this has made effect on no.of ques used to come from each topic in quant.

Please provide us the timetable like u provided in2008. It will be very helpful.

Thankssmile

by Shwet Kumar - Thursday, 22 September 2011, 06:03 PM
  Hi Total Gadha,
The moment i read this article i get the feeling that my intution was always right that i will not get any short cuts to crack VA section in CAT.
But i get dis appointed also because i am starting my preparation for CAT 2011 very late. I have only 1 and half months left for my CAT. And i also find VA as most difficult section to deal with.
In CAT 2010 i scored only 36 %tile on VA section sad .
But i will try this article to boost my confidence, rest we will see in the test.
Please keep posting if you have any more suggestions for very late starters like me.

Shwet.
by varun singla - Monday, 8 July 2013, 09:20 AM
  Sir, An article on how to approach and prepare for word usage /phrasal verb questions would be gr8. smile
by ayesha kumar - Tuesday, 9 July 2013, 04:49 PM
  Its easy get some cat preparation book and solve it daily. Orelse find an online mock test sites to practise.. I think there are plenty like shiksharambh.com under mock test tab
by Dushyant Agarwal - Friday, 19 July 2013, 07:29 PM
  Great Article Sir smile

On a light note- In your last para, you have mentioned the reason for biased nature on Quant over Verbal as a mystery.

Let me tell you my reason for not selective in verbal: In quant I am sure in most of cases where I can do a particular question or not, which is not the case in Verbal. I am not sure on any question except LR smile which ultimately leads to more attempts sad.