New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
XIMB- The Institute
by Madhukar Subramanian - Monday, 29 September 2008, 01:48 PM

cat 2008 xat 2009 cat 2009 XIMBAs TG is making its mark in the Education Industry, a few good fellows are coming forward to lend a helping hand in whatever possible way they can. One such contribution came from Madhukar Subramaniam, an XIMB student from PGDM class of 2010.  His first mail to us read :Dear Ma'am, I have recently signed up at TotalGadha and had a look at the B-school info section. I find that there is no discussion topic on XIMB. Being a XIMBian I would love to answer queries on the school and would request you to open a discussion on XIMB. Please let me know if you need some information/help from my side to start this thread. Thanks and Regards, Madhukar Subramanian, XIMB Batch of 2008-2010. He is an Instrumentation Engineer with 19 months of work-ex from TCS. He is now at XIMB with an intention of pursuing a career in finance and I-banking. His passions include finance, music, and soccer. He is a guitarist, who is also into a bit of philosophy. We at TG would like to thank Madhukar for his contribution, it is indeed a great help and useful one- Dagny

The Institute

Xavier Institute of Management (XIMB) has completed 20 years of purposeful existence, offering management education with a human face. During this short span of its existence, XIMB has established an identity of its own and a consistent position among the best B-schools in the country. It is known not only for its Post-Graduate programmes but also for development projects. The Institute owes its origin to a Social Contract between the Government of Orissa, and the OJS (Orissa Jesuit Society). The Management of the Institute is in the hands of a Board of Governors, consisting of Jesuit Fathers, senior representatives of the Government of India and Orissa State Government, eminent industrialists and educationalists. The Institute has recently won the prestigious SAQS accreditation reaffirming XIMB's commitment to quality education; it is a step towards internationalizing XIMB and building XIMB into a business school with global influence and impact.

cat 2008 cat 2009 XAT XIMB

Academic Programmes

The Institute offers three postgraduate programmes, one doctoral programme, and one certificate programme.

PGDM: Two-Year Full-Time Programme for Postgraduate Diploma in Management(residential)
PGDM(RM): Two-Year Full-Time Programme for Postgraduate Diploma in Rural Management(residential)
PGDM(PT): Three-Year Part-Time Programme for Postgraduate Diploma in Management(for working executives)
FPM: Fellow Programme in Management (residential)
PGCBM: One-Year Part-Time Postgraduate Certificate Programme in Business Management

The PGDM residential programme is widely recognised as equivalent to premier MBA programmes in India and overseas. While the programme is based on the standard model of management education, this programme is distinguished by its rigour and discipline.

cat 2008 cat 2009 XIMB
XIMB life

These are words from Kartikeya Mishra from the Batch of 2004-06 which influenced many of us to join XIMB. This gives perhaps the closest description of life in XIMB.

XST: XIM Standard Time

Normal daily routine of a guy at XIMB

8:45 XST: Wake up time...the alarm goes off....
8:48 XST: The alarm which you conveniently ignored earlier ...goes off
again.
8:50 XST: You finally wake up.
8:51 XST: A quick trip to the washroom.
8:55 XST: You wake up people...who are still in a slumber.
8:58 XST: You dash to the class.
9:00 XST: If you are lucky you make it to class, JIT (just in time)
9:02 XST: The ones who are not so lucky, make an entry into class, a few would be asked to leave. If you are lucky, you get to attend the class, but no attendance for you; if you are really really lucky, the professor is late!!!
9:05 XST: Attendance done...time to doze off in class.
9:10 XST: Man! when does this class end ?
10:25 XST: Yawn! Is the class coming to an end. is it???
10:30 XST: Darn cmon professor....you got to let us go now
10:31 XST: Hey professor CMO!
10:32 XST: Finally...you're out.
10:35 XST: Breakfast time.
10:59 XST: What time for the next class already...DARN!
11:00 XST: Class 2, more or less the same as class 1.
12:30 XST: Time for lunch or is it time for another nap?
12:45 XST: Lunch!
13:15 XST: Do I have to bathe today?

13:20 XST: Do I really need to bathe?
13:30 XST: Ok I guess its been days since I last took bath.
13:50 XST: Darn another class....what about my nap?
14:00 XST: Class 3. Read what happens in class1
15:30 XST: Class ends. Time for a coffee.
15:35 XST: You sip coffee peacefully.
15:45 XST: Class 4, what a quiz? A surprise quiz? How come the other section gets to give it in the next class. How come no?
"surprise" for them....
15:46 XST: Darn! was this ever discussed in class? I don't seem to recall anything
15:59 XST: Thank God! its over. Let's hope everybody got it wrong, that way it really doesn't matter.
16:00 XST: Time to sleep again.
17:15 XST: Yawwnnnn! oh the class got over. Has it?
17:16 XST: Snacks time!
17:30 XST: Time for football...time for tennis...time for badminton....
18:15 XST: Can't I bunk the next class? How about a proxy?
18:36 XST: You make it class; whole 6 minutes late.
19:15 XST: You need to be excused. You take a restroom break. You walk out.
19:16 XST: You change your mind ...you don't want to go back plus it's time to be at sandy square. This is the time when all the pretty faces turn up; there you head to CCD..
19:20 XST: You get an SMS from a friend in class "Dude why aren't you back? yet, professor just announced a surprise quiz, he's bolted the door"

aaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhh..you just lost 15% of your weightage....darn!
darn!
darn!
20:14 XST: You just realise that its a six class day and today's the day.
20:15 XST: What another class? when does all this end?
20:30 XST: You turn up 15 minutes late.
21:00 XST: Sir, can we end the class now? It's been a long day.
21:01 XST: Just a few more minutes, son. I promise to end the class within 5 minutes earlier (that's still 40 minutes away)
21:30 XST: Sir can we end now puhlllllllease....sure sure....just a few more minutes.
21:45 XST: You start getting up to leave...its times the class ended...
21:46 XST: Just a minute, son, I know I promised that we'd end the class early but have to explain this.

21:50 XST: Finally it ends..
21:51 XST: Thank God !the day is over. Well is it?
21:52 XST: There's a commotion in the porch area.
21:53 XST: What the heck is happening? WHAT? Assignment? An MC assignment and it NEEDS TO BE SUBMITTED BY 11:59 tonight. when was that announced? There was nothing on the notice board when you checked it at 8pm; it just got announced.
21:54 XST: What about the dinner that we had planned outside?
21:55 XST: You rush to the mess and quickly grab a bite.
22:00 XST: What did I have for dinner anyway? Well! does it really matter?
22:10 XST: You try and understand what the assignment is all about.
22:15 XST: You ping your group mates.(thank God! someone invented an instant messenger ) Guys come to my room ASAP..
22:40 XST: Your first group mate arrives. "Man! I buzzed you 20 minutes back."
Sorry! I just got your message. "What about others?" "Well who else is there in our group?"
22:41 XST: Oh yes good question. Let me check.
22:45 XST: Hey class representative. Who all did you put in my group?
22:46 XST: Class representative is no where to be found.
23:00 XST: Class representative finally found. Hey who all are in my group. The reply
"Check group listing on the intranet; the groups were made by professor"
23:05 XST: Darn! why didn't I think of that.
23:15 XST: Distress call! you send a message on the LAN messenger "My group mates, whoever you are, please come to my Room ASAP regarding the MC assignment Please come!"
23:20 XST: What is the point? The messenger seems to be flooded with similar messages.

23:25 XST: You decide to deal with the assignment with just 3 of your group mate, who decided to turn up.
23:30 XST: Open Google.com, copy paste the question as mentioned in the assignment.You do manage to get some results, download some relevant stuff
23:40 XST: You start copy pasting. Your document seems to building up. Hey! not bad. I think we can finish it off. Hey! add the names of the group members. OK Done!
23:55 XST: You are pleased with your work. Time to upload, you got to hurry. Deadline is 11:59 p.m. sharp or else the intranet won't accept it.
23:58 XST: You login to the intranet.
23:58 XST: Where do I upload? .Where is the silly link? Oh yes! found.
23:58:52 XST: Notice on some screens- upload complete-uploaded by user U104082 at time 23:58:52..
0000 XST: Notice on some screens "DEADLINE HAS EXPIRED" You cannot upload, please contact the course instructor.
0001 XST: What? I upload well before the deadline. You finally come to realise that your system clock is not synchronized with the server lock. DAAAAAARRRNNN! That is another 15% lost.
0200 XST: Happy at completing the assignment (or cribbing over failing to upload in some cases), you get a buzz.
0201 XST: You read the message "Hey we got a presentation at 9 in the morning. You forget all about it, didn't realise it was your group's turn. What do we do that now?"
0202 XST: What again? You are too dumbstruck to even think. You reply."ok sure, I'd be in your room within a few minutes; inform the girls as well. Make sure everybody's there."
0215 XST: You walk into your friend's room, everybody is there except one girl. Where the heck is she?
0220 XST: After some frantic calls to girl2, girl1 says that she is taking the XIMB walk with you- know-who. You scream, "She'd better be here or else she is thrown out of the group."
0230 XST: Girl 2 finally shows up "Sorry guys! was just discussing today's quiz with......" Yeah whatever!
0345 XST: Presentation doesn't seem to be making any sense. Two of your group members have dozed off.
0400 XST: Two members leave.
0415 XST: The three of you, who are left, finish off the presentation. Pleased with your work, at least that's what you think.
0430 XTS: It's been a horrid day. Time to crash.
0845 XTS: Man! I got to dress up for the presentation.
0905 XTS: You arrive in class, clean shaven, although your clothes are creased up but never mind!
0910 XTS: The class is waiting for you to start with your presentation. Oopss!! you've forgotten the pen drive. Well! never mind .Take your comp on the network. Darn! I forgot to share the folder. Never mind! You can map your drive, don't worry. Oh yes! I can but it wouldn't access because I had turned off my computer.

and so the saga continues, every single day.

Placements

XIMB has always had vibrant placements as is shown by the placement report. Please follow the link: http://www.ximb.ac.in/placement/xuberance08.swf

Some of the hottest companies are JPMC, American Express, MediaCom, Marico, Olam International,HSBC Global among others.

Infrastructure

XIMB is one of the most Technology intensive campuses in India. The campus network is based on a fibre optic backbone and 100 MBPS Ethernet technology. It is also supported by the latest Wi-Fi technology. A vibrant Intranet and rich information resources and rich set of software tools and services make our campus a fertile ground for grooming managerial talent. In addition the campus has flood-lit basketball courts, tennis, badminton gymnasium and well-maintained football fields.

cat 2008 cat 2009 XIMB

Admission Test

Applicants are required to take the Admission Test (XAT). Registering for XAT is a prerequisite for applying to XIMB. Applicants have to also apply (online) separately for XIMB programme at: www.ximb.ac.in

Selection Process

The institute will decide the section wise as well as total cut-off marks, which will be used for shortlisting candidates to be called for Group Discussion and Personal Interview.

Events

Kathakali Event

Recently the SPICMACY chapter of XIMB invited Kathakali performers from Kerala to enthral the audience. The scintillating performance by the artistes evoked awe and thunderous applause in equal measure prompting the dancers to admit that they had not received such appreciation even back in Kerala. The dance depicted the epic duel of Lord Shiva and Daksh, the father of Sati. When Daksh performed a Yagna, he invited all except Lord Shiva which Sati did not take kindly to. Her dialogue with Daksh imploring him to invite Lord Shiva eventually leads to her humiliation by Daksh who subsequently incurs the wrath of Lord Shiva. The Lord orders the slaying of Daksh by demons. Soon after the event, the artistes were swarmed by a sea of students and faculty extending their congratulations on such a fantastic performance. Yet another brilliant event organised by the SPICMACY Chapter of XIMB.

cat 2008 cat 2009 XIMB

My take on specializations

Personally I am inclined towards finance, I-Banking and Risk Management etc. The recent events in the financial world have cast lot of uncertainty around I-Banking as an career, but I see in this an opportunity to prove your mettle in the highly competitive field of finance. A majority of the 2008-2010 Batch seem eye Finance as their specialization as well.

Hope you find the info useful. I will be glad to share more if required.

Madhukar Subramanian

Batch of 2008-2010

Re: XIMB- The Institute
by Rishi Kapoor - Monday, 29 September 2008, 02:48 PM

Thanks Madhukar for such a lovely article. To describe your description of 9-to-9 as wonderful would be an understatement. It is definately more than that.

BTW, what are the sec. and o'all cut offs?

by CATster . - Monday, 29 September 2008, 02:30 PM
  Thanks  Madhukar  for this wonderful piece of information...Now i know what makes MBA tough and different...
by Tuhin Banerjee - Monday, 29 September 2008, 03:12 PM

Thanks Madhukar,

It's really remind me my college days.

by Ask Jeeves - Monday, 29 September 2008, 04:54 PM

Hey Madhukar,

Good work on wonderful description of ur coll. life portraying a typical day in a b-school life. Can you plz tell us what is the average cut-off in xat, for a candidate to expect a call form XIMB for gd&pi..

Thanks in advance,

Jeeves.

by Abhinav Agrawal - Monday, 29 September 2008, 05:03 PM

Hi Madhukar,

XIMB is one of the colleges I have applied for. Thank you for presenting the true face of XIMB..

What are the approx. cut-offs and according to you, which qualities do they look for in a student?

Abhinav
by rashi agarwal - Monday, 29 September 2008, 06:57 PM
  thanks madhukar,
I was a bit uncertain about applying for this institute.  but now after gaining so much information, i have decided to go for it.so  a big thanks to you.

rashi
by the killer - Monday, 29 September 2008, 07:13 PM
  Thanks Madhukar...

for this wonderful article...smile
by Manu Agrawal - Tuesday, 30 September 2008, 10:15 AM

The daily schedule (in XST... duly noted... smile ) will synchronize my watch with it... is really a beauty... too good...

DARN... will i be able to make it over here... smile !!!

by Madhukar Subramanian - Wednesday, 1 October 2008, 02:39 PM

Hey Rishi,

My apologies for the late reply..have been lil busy of late smile see the cut-offs are not revealed but the most accurate estimate is 96% overall with arnd 89-90% in each section in XAT. Hope this was useful.Feel free to shoot other queries.

by Madhukar Subramanian - Wednesday, 1 October 2008, 02:43 PM

Hi Jeeves,

The overall cut-off was 96% last yr and is expected to be slightly higher...the sectional cut-offs were arnd 90%...am giving u approximate figures coz such information is generally not revealed and is conjecture for most part.

by Madhukar Subramanian - Wednesday, 1 October 2008, 02:50 PM

Hey Abhinav,

XIMB is a little more fun than what the article portrays smile wil frequently give updates on campus life on other aspects as well.  The cut-offs are expected to be arnd 97% this yr with sectionals hovering arnd 90%.

The qualities that XIMB looks for in a potential candidate range from leadership qualities, confidence,rational thinking, business awareness to strong analytical skills particularly keepin in mind the intense course rigour which sees us work till 4-5 in the morning. The GD-PI process will focus mainly on these qualities.

by Madhukar Subramanian - Wednesday, 1 October 2008, 02:53 PM
  Nice to hear tt Rashi. Apply to XIMB and hopefully we will see u in campus next yearsmile
by Madhukar Subramanian - Wednesday, 1 October 2008, 02:56 PM

Hey Manu,

Prepare well and write XAT this yr and apply to XIMB and you can be part of this life as wellsmile

by Madhukar Subramanian - Wednesday, 1 October 2008, 03:00 PM
  Your WC Anshyasmile
by Madhukar Subramanian - Wednesday, 1 October 2008, 03:03 PM
  WC Tuhin!!Follow the thread for more updates.
by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 1 October 2008, 06:30 PM
  Madhukar,

You seem to be enjoying this. lol. I personally loved the way article has come up.smile Good Job!

Dagny
by janaki bandlamudi - Thursday, 2 October 2008, 12:44 PM

hey,it is very useful.thanks to dagny madam and mathukar

by samir roy - Friday, 3 October 2008, 03:56 PM

hi madhukar. thanks for the article,

i have heard that there is orissa domicile quata in XIMB, if yes, then what upto what %age and whats the cutoff for the domicile candidates??

by Madhukar Subramanian - Saturday, 4 October 2008, 12:59 PM

Hi Samir,

There is no fixed % of quota seats but the domicile students get due weightage in the interviews. Each year the % is different and is not revealed.

Cheers..

by Madhukar Subramanian - Saturday, 4 October 2008, 01:04 PM

Dagny,

The article looks better becoz of the TG team that worked on itsmile. I must thank you and the TG folk for this.

Cheers..

by KayBee Aar - Thursday, 9 October 2008, 01:40 PM

Gud work Maddy....nice to see my own institute on my very own TG...I owe a lot to TG sir and Dagny maam...am in XIMB coz of TG.com ..and I have said that to u earlier as well ..lemme know If I can contribute anything to TG.com bein a XIMBIAN....

KayBee

XIMB batch 2008-2010

by anurag pruthi - Tuesday, 14 October 2008, 01:57 AM
  wonderful article Maddy........it gives a nice insight about life here @ XIMB....cheers smile
by bruhadeeswaran R - Tuesday, 28 October 2008, 06:38 PM
  Hi Madhu,

can you give some more inputs on rural mgmt ? how is it compared to irma ?
by Debendra Nayak - Monday, 10 November 2008, 06:40 PM
  hey im Debendra Kumar Nayak 3rd year student n going to give XAT n hav applied for XIMB and im oriya,i have heard that the cut of list for oriya guys are low is it true if yes then how much . i reli want to no abt it as i m reli reli intrsted in XIMB ...its one of the premeium cllg ..n i wd love tho be a ximbian
by Priyankur Saha - Friday, 14 November 2008, 12:58 AM
  Thanks Madhukar for such wonderful instance of B-school life.
by Sourajyoti Guha - Wednesday, 26 November 2008, 12:17 PM
  Hi, Madhukar Subramanian
   Thank you for the info.I am going to appear for XAT 2009.But i am rather undecided about whether i should apply for XIMB.actually i have heard that because of its location , XIMB does not get preference from recruiter and that the freshers get placement offer of max 8-9 lakh.So can u plz shed some light on it.
thanks.
regards.    
by KayBee Aar - Tuesday, 2 December 2008, 07:19 PM
  Hey Sourajyoti

I would like to answer the question and hope Maddy doesn't mind. Well just to give u a figure ...in last year Xuberance (this is what we call our placements event as..) the highest domestic package was 16.5 lpa and as far as I know 3 of them were freshers...

KayBee
XIMB
2008-10
by KayBee Aar - Tuesday, 2 December 2008, 07:20 PM
  @Bruhadeeswaran

Can u please specify what exactly you want to know so that we can help u with some facts?

KayBee
XIMB
2008-10
by Total Gadha - Sunday, 7 December 2008, 08:47 PM
  Thanks for the help Kaybee smile
by KayBee Aar - Thursday, 11 December 2008, 01:50 AM
  Oh that is not required sir! Even if I start thanking you daily for rest of my MBA days it would not suffice....