New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
Dagny Taggart's Ultimate Guide to GMAT Preparation
by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 6 June 2007, 07:36 PM
  This will answer nearly all your queries and provide you with strategies and notes for your GMAT verbal.
Re: Dagny Taggart's Ultimate Guide to GMAT Preparation
by Haresh Balani - Friday, 2 November 2007, 09:02 PM

Hi Danny,

TG and you have been of immense help so far, wish that I had come across the site earlier.

I'd like to know your view on Asian Institute Of Management Manila. I'm looking at a core finance specialization my area of interest lies in Capital Markets and Investment Banking and I have roughly 30 months of relevant experience to support my cause.

I am enquiring about AIM as (i) i have not taken up GMAT as yet (so other international schools are out of the window at the mommet, I'm giving AIMAT in December) (ii) The AIM MBA is quite cost effective (30,000 USD).

I hear mixed things about the institute, some say that "One amongst the top 5 in Asia - a no-brainer" and some say "Placements? Quality is dropping at a rapid pace".

Any form of help shall be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Haresh

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 5 November 2007, 11:19 PM
  Hi Haresh,

Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town for past two days. Before I answer to your queries, I would like to know if you are looking at only South East Asian countries and in that also are you looking at Japan and Hong Kong as well?

Dagny
by Haresh Balani - Wednesday, 7 November 2007, 08:31 PM

Dagny,

My real constraint is funding, but if we set that aside for now then i wouldn't want to close any open doors. BTW im writing CAT this year and I happened to attend an AIM roadshow here in Banglore so I thought it would be good to apply into an Asian Top 5 B School (via the AIMAT route).

Hope you understand where I'm coming from. What I'd like to know is that how well reputed AIM is at present (the past is history) and reputation sustainability going forward. After all 6-8 years later some CEO/CxO shouldn't stand up and say "Eh? where did you say you were from? ... Ah! yes, AIM right?"

by karan yadav - Friday, 18 January 2008, 11:57 PM
  hi dagny
i am new at total gadha though i am kumar sir's student.i wrote cat this year but couldnt get through.now i hav put my disappointments aside and want to write the gmat by april end.i am a 4th year engineering student with decent extra-curriculars.b schools like lbs and harvard hav always fascinated me.i wanted to know whether i can get admission after a work ex of about 4 yrs to the top schools and how should i go about my gmat preparation.i dont plan on joining any prep courses so u will be the only support that i ll hav.

karan yadav
by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 26 January 2008, 07:52 PM
  Hi Karan,

It is too early for you to write GMAT. Although your GMAT score is valid for 5 years but most colleges accept score not less than two year old. Considering that you are in your 4th year, you can give another shot for CAT.Also, I suggest you to pick up a job instantly after your college and not waste any time. 4 years work experience would give you a good weightage in your application but for admission in international B Schools, a good GMAT score + resume+ essays+ transcripts+ extracurricular+ work experience+ Personal Interview in total would assure an admission. Also, as of now I suggest you to go through the profiles of the candidates for your dream B schools and you will get a better insight.
Regarding your preparation, we are always there to help yousmile

Dagny
by Sriraman Pattabiraman - Thursday, 21 February 2008, 01:06 PM
  just read through ur guide to GMAT.. The observations/ facts are rather interesting. I honestly believe that If GMAT cannot be used as detimental factor is measuring the test taker's ability to potentially do good in a bschool ,what ofout good old  CAT.
GMAT ,atleast can be taken many a times in a calendar year and is only used as a part of the application process  in the bschool admission elsewhere. We in india ,rallying behind the IIMS, quite don't have the courage to critisize the totally skewed up evaluation process the IIMS  use for picking  bschool grads.. firstly demanding a exrotbitantly high CAT scores, secondly making it the only way to get into the next stage of evaluation. The test can happen only once a year, that too only in the major cities of the country. Secondly putting technical  questions on your  interview. How good can a question on how GSM transmission happens in vaccum or a one on finite autmata theory prove to the interviewer that  a person can potentially be a good manager. If you are a fresher out of college and have the analytical ability to crack the CAT, you can be a student at the IIMS answering questions on hyperbolic equations, thread processing without having  an idea about what an MBA would do to his career..
Honestly i don't think I am grudging against the IIMS, for afterall they are carrying brand India across the wrold and that isnt happening for nothing.. The minds at work in the IIM s are great and its only in their intrests to grow broader by plugging a few holes in their admission theories for it would then take them to the levels of wharton, stanford and the likes..
by subhasis mohanty - Sunday, 30 March 2008, 05:06 PM

HI TG/Dagny

Nice article smile...i am confused what to go for ..how to go for....i have 18 months of work ex..but dont know what to do...i appeared CAT last time but was unable to score good percentile...now this time i wana to approach in a more systematic manner...give me option what i need to do ...chosing between CAT and GMAT taking consideration of finance too..

by Total Gadha - Monday, 31 March 2008, 10:50 PM

Hi Subhasis,

One word for you- CAT smile

Total Gadha

by harmanpreet singh - Saturday, 31 May 2008, 12:25 PM

Hi Dagny ...I am a newbie over here...and a new aspirant for Mgmt future...I have 2 years of exp as of now and by the time I will appear for GMAT and get into some B school would have nearly 3 yr sof exp.

Question 1:- I would like to know will I be able to getinto top B schools like INSEAD, LBS or Queens if I have 3 yrs of exp in IT industry, Computer engineering graduation, Extra curricular activites not much( I dont have any certificates to prove that I usually atke part in athletics meet but hardly win any 100 m or hurdles)?

Question2 :- Is extra curricular activities that important to get into such schools?

Thanks in well advance for your support provided to others and yes ofcourse the info which you will pass on to me...Thanks alot

by dvdvsdv ddgfdfdfd - Tuesday, 10 June 2008, 09:40 AM
  hi...
i tried to open this file couple of times but the error message m getting is the file is corrupt and could not be repaired ...please send the file to my email id... anamika.dnth@gmail.com....i really wanna find out a way to gmat preparation

regards
Anamika
by Arpitha D - Monday, 16 June 2008, 05:53 PM

Hello Dagny,

Stupendous work!

Cant I take a print out of the PDF & read it on paper? I dont see that option enabled. Is it intentional? Could it be possible to enable that?

Thank you

Arpitha

by namrata prashar - Monday, 14 July 2008, 07:51 PM

Hello There

can u pls let me know how to print this pdf as it is inconvenient to read online as compared to on paper. Will really appreciate if u can help !

Regards

Namz

by niraj srivastava - Sunday, 24 August 2008, 02:38 PM

would like to know

a.   do CAT consider the scores attained by a candidate for subsequent admissions the way GMAT permits?

b.    if yes then for how many years is the score valid for taking admission.

c.    how long is GMAT score valid for?

by eswar k - Wednesday, 27 August 2008, 03:40 PM

Hi Dagny,

am not able to open your guide to GMAT Preparation.

Coulkd you pls sent it to me to eswark26@yahoo.com..

Thank you

by Junglee Gadha - Friday, 29 August 2008, 04:07 PM

dagny mam,

which is the official guide for GMAT?

Junglee Gadha
by khushi s - Wednesday, 3 September 2008, 09:34 AM

hi danny

i m new aspraint for cat as well as i want to take other entarance exams also. its not that i think i cant crack cat, my hopes are high, but still to be on a safer side.

i m also planning to take GMAT but i hardly have any knowledge about its preparation. when is the right time to take GMAT.

i m already doing prepration for cat is it sufficiant for GMAT also.

and i planned too late to take cat, i think i dont have sufficiant time to prepare for cat. i dont have any prob. in taking CAT again next year too. 

plz help

by sandeep chincholkar - Wednesday, 1 October 2008, 01:29 AM

hi dagny

the pdf file seems to be corrupted. I am not able to open it. Could u repost it?

thnx..

Aqua4

by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 4 October 2008, 10:42 AM
  You can download the file from 'Download it Now' section.
by niraj srivastava - Thursday, 16 October 2008, 06:16 PM

Hi forum

could you please help me on this?

by Anju S - Friday, 30 January 2009, 11:27 PM

Hi Dagny !

Am an Indian gal with 4 yrs of IT experience. Am a at home wife in the US right now.My short-term goal is to pursue an MBA from a reputed B-School here in US. I am interested in majoring with Marketing(I've an interest in advertising). The question I've got for you is , inspite of my nill-exprience in Mktg. and my   B-School friends adivicing me about the not-so-favourable oppurtunities for Indians in the American Mktg. field, am still very much passionate and interested. Am planning to take my GMAT in 2 months. What advice do you have for me. Also do any of the top B-Schools take students for Spring classes (just like the Grad schools) or is Fall 2010 the earliest term for me?

Any adivce is greatly appreciated

Thanks !