New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!
Coffee and Modifiers- A Strong Brew for CAT 2007
by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 25 May 2007, 08:05 AM
  cat 2007 2008 mba modifiers dangling misplacedIt was 10.30 p.m of 20th May, 2007. TG and I were enjoying a cup of coffee under the white moonlight at the exquisite terrace garden of the Coffee House. Both of us are die hard aficionados of coffee and books and, as TG is fond of saying, “caffeine and literature in any form is welcome... So true! While the rich aroma of the bitter sweet liquid was enchanting our senses, I suddenly heard TG saying "something is wrong with this sentence!" He was reading an article on coffee and his brows were wrung over a sentence. After a brief look at the sentence, I realised that the modifier was misplaced. Poor TG! How English impassioned people are. They can't bear a single wrong usage in a sentence.

Here is the sentence that worried TG:
"Born in Brazil, I am amazed that Harry does not like coffee."
 Who was born in Brazil, Harry or I? 

Now that;s what you called "the love of language". Then and there, we decided to combine this love with that for caffeine and to rescue the history of coffee from getting modified wrongly.

cat 2007 2008 mba modifiers dangling misplacedModifiers- Dangling and Misplaced:
 A modifier describes, clarifies, or gives more detail about a word or a word group. A dangling modifier is a phrase that modifies the wrong word or phrase because of the absence of the word or phrase it is supposed to modify. In other words, the modifier is left "dangling". A misplaced modifier is placed incorrectly in the sentence such that it modifies the wrong word and makes the sentence sound illogical.

Dangling- Reaching Europe at the beginning of the 17th century, they called it "the wine of Arabia".
Correction- Reaching Europe at the beginning of the 17th century, the coffee was called "the wine of Arabia" by them.
In the first sentence "Reaching Europe at the beginning of the 17th century" is supposed to modify "coffee" but the word coffee is missing.

Misplaced- Called “the wine of Arabia”, at the beginning of the 17th century the coffee reached Europe.
Correction- Called "the wine of Arabia", the coffee reached Europe at the beginning of the 17th century.
In the first sentence, called "the wine of Arabia" is supposed to modify coffee.

FLAVOR 1- Modifying phrases with relative pronouns:-
Who, whom, whose, that, which, where

Incorrect- In Ethiopia started the story of coffee, where the coffee tree probably originated in the province of Kaffa.
Correct- The story of coffee started in Ethiopia, where the coffee tree probably originated in the province of Kaffa.
In the above sentence, where the coffee tree probably originated in the province of Kaffa should relate back to the noun ‘Ethiopia.

Incorrect- There are various fanciful but unlikely stories surrounding the discovery of the properties of roasted coffee beans. One story has it that an Ethiopian goatherd was amazed at the lively behaviour of his goats after chewing red coffee berries.
Correct- There are various fanciful but unlikely stories surrounding the discovery of the properties of roasted coffee beans. One story has it that an Ethiopian goatherd was amazed at the lively behaviour of his goats that were chewing red coffee berries.

In the above sentence "after chewing red coffee berries" seems to modify both the goatherd and the goats. The modifier has been corrected in the next sentence.

cat 2007 2008 mba modifiers dangling misplacedFLAVOR 2- Most of the times, modifiers are set off from the sentence by commas. Have a look at the following sentence: Eaten by slaves, the succulent outer cherry flesh was taken from present day Sudan into Yemen and Arabia through Mocha, the great port of its day, now synonymous with coffee. Observe that the modifiers “eaten by slaves” and "the great port of its day" are set apart from the rest of the sentence by commas.

FLAVOR 3- Do not use adjective when you require an adverb.

Incorrect- Mocha was also the main port for the one sea route to Mecca, and was a real busy place in the world at the time. But the Arabs had a strict policy not to export any fertile beans, so that coffee could not be cultivated anywhere else.
Correct- Mocha was also the main port for the one sea route to Mecca, and was a really busy place in the world at the time. But the Arabs had a strict policy not to export any fertile beans, so that coffee could not be cultivated anywhere else.

cat 2007 2008 mba modifiers dangling misplaced

FLAVOR 4- Modifiers are very smart at times. How? They pick up a word or a phrase from a sentence that seems to be finished and then add information. Then is the time to enrich your brains by having a sip of coffee and not get carried away with a modifier.

The coffee house in Arabia was nothing quite like the coffeehouse that had existed before: a place where society and business could be conducted in comfortable surroundings and where anyone could go, for the price of coffee.

FLAVOR 5- Single words can be misplaced and cause confusion.

Incorrect- The Dutch were growing koffie also at Malabar in India, and in 1699 took some to Batavia in Java, in what is now Indonesia. Within a few years the Dutch colonies had become the main suppliers of coffee to Europe. Today Indonesia is the fourth largest exporter of koffie in the world.
cat 2007 2008 mba modifiers dangling misplacedCorrect- The Dutch were also growing koffie at Malabar in India, and in 1699 took some to Batavia in Java, in what is now Indonesia. Within a few years the Dutch colonies had become the main suppliers of coffee to Europe. Today Indonesia is the fourth largest exporter of koffie in the world.
The first sentence erroneously implies that the Dutch were growing other crops AND growing coffee also.

FLAVOR 6- The pronoun who modifies a person or group of persons, which modifies things and that can be used with either person or things. See the sentence below:

The race to make off with some live koffie trees or beans was eventually won by the Dutch in 1616, who brought some back to Holland where they were grown in greenhouses.

In 1400, Sjehab-eddin, a mufti, learned to make the brew, which made the need to sleep disappear, and took the bushes to his hometown Aden, now known as Yemen.

NOTE: Use the relative pronoun "that" to introduce an essential modifier that cannot be logically removed. Use "which" to introduce a non-essential modifier, usually separated by commas, which can be removed from the sentence.

The largest insurance market, Lloyd's of London, which began its life as a coffeehouse, was started in 1688 by Edward Lloyd while preparing lists of the ships that his customers had insured.

FLAVOR 7- "Which" should not have more than one potential antecedent.

In 1511 the governor of Mecca, Kair Beg proclaimed that coffee was equal to wine, which was banned in the Koran.
It is not clear whether the coffee or the wine was banned in the Koran.

Apothecaries stocked the bean for medicinal uses, which were ranging from ridding the body of bad humors to preventing plague.
Here it is clear that "which" is referring to "medicinal uses" only and nothing else.

cat 2007 2008 mba modifiers dangling misplacedFLAVOR 8-If a modifier is able to justify "how" of the verb it is called an adverbial modifier. Please keep the modifying noun close to each other. They should be placed in such a way as to avoid ambiguity in the word it is modifying.

In an interesting and romantic manner, the story of coffee started in 1720s. Gabriel Mathieu de Clieu, a French naval officer serving in Martinique, went to Paris on leave in 1720.Slowly and painfully, he acquired a koffie tree, which he took with him on the ship back. The plant was kept in a glass case on deck to keep it warm and prevent damage from salt water.  

Flavor 9- Adjective helps (modifies) Noun or Pronoun and Adverb is usually busy in helping (modifying) Verb, some other Adverb, Preposition or Phrase.

During the journey, pirates from Tunis threatened the ship. There was a violent storm and the plant had to be tied down. Mathieu de Clieu courageously faced a jealous enemy on board who was trying to sabotage the plant. There was a violent struggle in which a branch was torn off, but the plant survived this horror. Finally, the ship arrived in Martinique and the coffee tree was re-planted at Preebear, where it was surrounded by a thorn hedge and watched over by slaves. It grew, and multiplied, and by 1726 the first harvest was ready.
Notice that the adjectives, "violent" and  "jealous" are modifying nouns whereas the adverbs, "courageously" and "finally" are modifying verbs.

Flavor 10- Identify the modifier and try to locate the word it is modifying. You will know whether the modifier is correct or incorrect.

It was 12.30 p.m. and a cool breeze had started blowing. Savouring the night and the soft wind through our hair, we drove back together in silence, with lots of thoughts in our mind and a lingering taste of a strong brew….

I am afraid I shall have to end here and leave the rest of it for my CBT Club students. I shall cover some problems based on this in the CBT Club this week.

Please do not forget to share this article with your friends! Bookmark and Share

Books To Refer:

Advanced Grammar in Use With CD ROM

Grammar and Context

Understanding and Using English Grammar

English Grammar In Use

You Might Also Like:

CAT CBT Club: TotalGadha's Exclusive Membership Section
TathaGat: TotalGadha's CAT Classroom Coaching
CAT Quant Lessons: Quant Lessons for MBA Preparation
CAT Verbal Lessons: Verbal Lessons for MBA Preparation
CAT Quant/DI Forum: Ask doubts related to Quant & DI
CAT Verbal Forum: Ask doubts related to Verbal
Re: Coffee and Modifiers- A Strong Brew for CAT 2007
by Deep Thinker Gadha - Friday, 25 May 2007, 11:15 AM

It's 10'O clock in the morning.

And I'm here in my Cubicle having sip of Coffee after hectic journy through heavy traffic.

After having glimpse of "To Do tasks", I poured coffee in Mug and opened the "www.totalgadha.com" and i have read your article.......

Hey Dagny, It's really nice article, Your articles really boost my cofidence in VA.

The way of putting things is amazing. I hope it'll correct my dangling situation in VA.

Have A Good Day!

"Deep Thiker" Gadha,

- Sandeep

by Tempo # 911 - Friday, 25 May 2007, 11:35 AM

Dagny...

Great effort and good composition.smile

Regards

Temperamental

by chinni kiran - Friday, 25 May 2007, 12:49 PM

Hi Dagny,

The article is simply superb!

By the way what is the correct form of Born in Brazil, I am amazed that Harry does not like coffee?

can hte following do?

' I am amazed that (despite) being born in Brazil, Harry does not like coffee'

I think 'despite' is redundant. Anyway plz let us know.

Hi Sandeep Kusnure,

we share similar daily routine ya....how good?

It seems all the site visitors share the same schedules.....

But drinking a MUG of coffee is unhealthy dude ...The other day I did the same and my body's metabolism refused to function..a CUP will do...he he.....

by Total Gadha - Friday, 25 May 2007, 12:55 PM
  Too much blood in my caffeine system smile
by Nitya S - Friday, 25 May 2007, 02:31 PM

Hi Dagny,

Great brewing thanks!!

Hi friends,

I believe most software professionals preparing for CAT follow the same routine.

9:30 swipe in; 10:00 TG; 10:30 coffee break; 11:00 "Shall i work now??"; 12:30 "Lunch" and it repeats all again in another hour and a half smile

regards,

Nitya.

by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 25 May 2007, 03:47 PM

Thanks to all!smile

Chinni! You have framed the correct sentence. One more thing I’d rather have a mug of coffee than a cup of coffee.tongueout
Nitya and Sandeep, I like your routine.big grin
I just checked that except Tempo, none of you has attempted the vocabulary section in ’CAT Verbal Forum’.

Dagny
by Deep Thinker Gadha - Saturday, 26 May 2007, 06:24 AM
  Hi Chinni,

Thanx  for your good wishes but i have finished a cup of coffee in sip or two so........
 However, I'll take care of that.

Hey "Chinni" ,
 Can you resolve 'Gender Dangling' problem in your name "Chinni" ?

hmm hmm .... I'm sureTG and Dagny cannot resolve this resolve 'Gender Dangling' problem in your name "Chinni".

Am i right TG & Dagny?

OK, Nice to see you on TG.

Bye!

"Deep Thinker" Gadha,
  -- Sandeep
by Deep Thinker Gadha - Saturday, 26 May 2007, 06:34 AM
  Hi Dagny,

Sorry! to missed out first one. However, I promise you it won't happen again

I have read & studied all those words also have a vis-a-vis wit "Tempo" on the word 'Bedaub'.

But, I really like it straight from the heart that you have watch on me.......

Thank You Very Much!

- Sandeep
by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 26 May 2007, 07:04 AM

Thanks Sandeep  smile

by Chirag Taneja - Saturday, 26 May 2007, 12:38 PM
  Hi Dagny,

Very informative article. This is the most confusing area as far as sentence correction is concerned. I am sure the way you have presented it in a very self explanatory method would help us all.

It would be really nice if you could along with this explain some thing about "resumptive modifiers" as well.

Thanks for this great effort. U deserve a caffeine kick if we get to meet. smile
by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 26 May 2007, 06:40 PM
  Hi Chirag,

Thanks a lot! smile Soon, will try to write something
on resumptive modifiers .

Dagny
by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 26 May 2007, 07:55 PM

Hi!

Some Bean- Crackers for all you people! Enjoy.
cat 2007 2008 modifiers dangling misplaced verbal

1.        The Wallerstein study indicates that even after a decade young men and women still experience some of the effects of a divorce occurring when a child.
(A) occurring when a child
(B) occurring when children
(C) that occurred when a child
(D) that occurred when they were children
(E) that has occurred as each was a child

2.        Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century B.C., worshipped a goddess known in Latin as Bona Dea, “the good goddess.”
(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers
(B) Basing it on various ancient writers’ accounts
(C) With accounts of various ancient writers used for a basis
(D) By the accounts of various ancient writers they used
(E)Using accounts of various ancient writers

(E)

3.        In his research paper, Dr. Frosh, medical director of the Payne Whitney Clinic, distinguishes mood swings, which may be violent without their being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis.
(A) mood swings, which may be violent without their being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(B) mood swings, perhaps violent without being grounded in mental disease, and genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(C) between mood swings, which may be violent without being grounded in mental disease, and genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(D) between mood swings, perhaps violent without being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(E) genuine manic-depressive psychosis and mood swings, which may be violent without being grounded in mental disease

4.        In his research paper, Dr. Frosh, medical director of the Payne Whitney Clinic, distinguishes mood swings, which may be violent without their being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis.
(A) mood swings, which may be violent without their being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(B) mood swings, perhaps violent without being grounded in mental disease, and genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(C) between mood swings, which may be violent without being grounded in mental disease, and genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(D) between mood swings, perhaps violent without being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(E) genuine manic-depressive psychosis and mood swings, which may be violent without being grounded in mental disease

5.        By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers enabling it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.
(A) enabling it to withhold from the public
(B) for it to withhold from the public
(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of
(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure
(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of

6.        Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.
(A) Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

(B) If used repeatedly in the same place, one reason that certain pesticides can become ineffective is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

(C) If used repeatedly in the same place, one reason certain pesticides can become ineffective is suggested by the finding that much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes are found in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than those that are free of such chemicals.

(D) The finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals is suggestive of one reason, if used repeatedly in the same place, certain pesticides can become ineffective.(A)

(E) The finding of much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in those that are free of such chemicals suggests one reason certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place.

7.        Initiated five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World on Columbus Day 1992, Project SETI pledged a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

(A) Initiated five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World on Columbus Day 1992, Project SETI pledged a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

(B) Initiated on Columbus Day 1992, five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World, a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence was pledged by Project SETI.

(C) Initiated on Columbus Day 1992, five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World, Project SETI pledged a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

(D) Pledging a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, the initiation of Project SETI five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World on Columbus Day 1992.(C)

(E) Pledging a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World, on Columbus Day 1992, the initiation of Project SETI took place.

8.        Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth; consequently, we see them as they were during the formation of the universe.
(A) we see them as they were during
(B) we see them as they had been during
(C) we see them as if during
(D) they appear to us as they did in
(E) they appear to us as though in

9.        Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs hang like socks on a clothesline.
(A) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs hang
(B) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs were hanging
(C) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging
(D) seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging
(E) seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs have hung

10.    Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction of housing density, allows for more open space in areas where little water or services exist.
(A) little water or services exist
(B) little water or services exists
(C) few services and little water exists
(D) there is little water or services available
(E) there are few services and little available water

11.    Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.
(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(C) Because there had been a sniper’s bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War

12.    Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya without benefit of the wheel or animal transport.
(A) huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya without benefit of the wheel or animal transport
(B) without the benefits of animal transport or the wheel, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya
(C) the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel
(D) there were built, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, huge palace and temple clusters by the Maya
(E) were the Maya who, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, built huge palace and temple clusters

13.    A study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture showed that if calves exercise and associated with other calves, they will require less medication and gain weight quicker than do those raised in confinement.
(A) associated with other calves, they will require less medication and gain weight quicker than do
(B) associated with other calves, they require less medication and gain weight quicker than
(C) associate with other calves, they required less medication and will gain weight quicker than do
(D) associate with other calves, they have required less medication and will gain weight more quickly than do
(E) associate with other calves, they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than

14.    Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(A) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.
(C) Detecting fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy, a physician can use a Doppler ultrasound device.
(D) By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heart-beats can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device by a physician.
(E) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

15.    For members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.
(A) a method to protect
(B) as a method protecting
(C) protecting
(D) as a protection of
(E) to protect

cat 2007 2008 mba verbal modifiers dangling misplaced

by Tempo # 911 - Saturday, 26 May 2007, 11:10 PM

Hi Dagny,

Wonderful selection.smile

Here are my replies...

1. D

2. B

3. C

4. C

5. D

6. D

7. C

8. D

9. B

10. D

11. B

12. E

13. E

14. A     and

15. E

Regards

Temperamental

by KayBee Aar - Sunday, 27 May 2007, 06:06 PM

Hey...

I found 'em confusing....

Neways my attempt:

1.  D

2.  B

3.  C

4.  C(repeated)

5.  B

6.  B

7.  C

8.  B

9.  C

10. E

11. B

12. B

13. E

14. A

15. E

KayBee... 

by Deep Thinker Gadha - Monday, 28 May 2007, 07:02 AM
  Hi Dagny,
My answers are :

Q. No. Answer
1 D
2 A
3 C
4 C
5 E
6 D
7 C
8 C
9 B
10 C
11 B
12 A
13 E
14 A
15 E

- Sandeep
by chinni kiran - Monday, 28 May 2007, 12:17 PM

Hi DT,

so tuf...

waiting for ansrs..
1)D
2)A
3)C
5)A
6)B
7)A
8)A
9)C
10)E
11)E
12)C
13)E
14)A
15)D

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 28 May 2007, 02:34 PM

Answers:-

1)      D                                                                                        
2)      E
3)      C
4)      C (repeated)
5)      A
6)      A
7)      C
8)      A
9)      D
10)  
E
11)   E
12)   C
13)   E
14)   E
15)   C

Discussions are welcome.

Dagny
by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 28 May 2007, 02:38 PM
  Hi Chinni,

You can call me Dagny. DT sounds like DTC (Delhi Transport Corp) or  Diagonistic Test.big grinbig grin

Dagny
by chinni kiran - Monday, 28 May 2007, 02:43 PM

smile

But for me DT looks more feminine that Dagny....and wat more, it's keyboard-friendly smile

but could you post the answers. I am always worried about my verbal...

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 28 May 2007, 02:50 PM
  I have posted. smile  Checko!smile
by chinni kiran - Monday, 28 May 2007, 03:00 PM

Hi dagny,
the answeres were in some mysterious code like in below.
But I changed the format to Trebuchet(??) and got the answers.
Did you get any hint that this time CAT is giving verbal paper in crypted form....smilesmile

1)      D                                                                                        
2)      E
3)      C
4)      C (repeated)
5)      A
6)      A
7)      C
8)      A
9)      D
10)  
E
11)   E
12)   C
13)   E
14)   E
15)   C

Discussions are welcome.

Dagny
by chinni kiran - Monday, 28 May 2007, 03:21 PM

Hi Dagny (smile)

see the below sentences....and my queries...

7.        Initiated five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World on Columbus Day 1992, Project SETI pledged a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

C) Initiated on Columbus Day 1992, five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World, Project SETI pledged a $100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

Here the answer says it was initiated on 1992 columbus day. But the question maintains that it was initiated in 1997.(five years after 1992).
      so complete change of details. Can you plz explain?

Or should we know that Europeans arrived in 1987...general knowldege...I (smile) to answere this question

14) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(A) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.
(C) Detecting fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy, a physician can use a Doppler ultrasound device.
(D) By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heart-beats can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device by a physician.
(E) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

what I tink here is USING and A PHYSICIAN is the clue.

since only a Physician can use the device and fetal heartbeats can't, the subject in the secnod sentence should start with 'a physician'----ain't I right?

But tell me a sentence where we can start the second part with 'Fetal heartbeats can be ......' plz

15) is really weird. why is it not 'E' or 'D'

regards

by Tempo # 911 - Monday, 28 May 2007, 05:20 PM

Hi Dagny,

Only 7 correct.shy

Something seriously went amiss in the grammatical comprehension I guess.sad

sad sad sad

Regards

Temperamental

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 28 May 2007, 05:43 PM
  Hi Chinni,

It's five centuries (500 years) and not five years. Therefore, European couldn't have arrived on Columbus day, 1992.

Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy by a physician using a Doppler ultrasound device.

In 15th It cannot be D and E as there is a comma after military equipment.

And regarding the font, I am a Leo, its difficult for me to keep myself away from creativity and style.big grin

Dagny
by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 28 May 2007, 05:49 PM
  Hi Tempo,

Why so saddy Ya! Its okay,smile it was not 'The CAT'. I suggest that you post the questions that you have got wrong and we will discuss them.smile

Dagny
by chinni kiran - Tuesday, 29 May 2007, 10:30 AM

Hi Dagny,
15th one was good. Very good concept that I didn't about. i.e. if ',' is there, it should be in gerund form.

I still didn't get what's wrong with 14, A option i.e Using ....., Fetal .....bit verbally-chalegned shy.

BTW I am also Leo and I am crazy about astrology and all. So next time remove that coffee(don't like ya) and talk about astrology smilesmilesmile I think only then will I do better smile

Regards,
by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 29 May 2007, 10:59 AM
  Hey Chinni,

You yourself explained in the previous post that 'the clue is physicians'.Who is detecting the heartbeat? Not twelfth week for sure.

Okay will try to write something on astrology.big grin

Dagny

by kishore ayyadevara - Sunday, 8 July 2007, 12:40 AM

Hi Dagny,

smile am glad there was a modifier error in the article. The error being an  inspiration for you and an instructive article for us .

Anyway, I came across this site very recently. It is awesome , to say the least. Keep up the good work.

Hope you dont mind helping me out with a few doubts i have in the set of 15 coffebeans.

2.        Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century B.C., worshipped a goddess known in Latin as Bona Dea, “the good goddess.”
(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers
(B) Basing it on various ancient writers’ accounts
(C) With accounts of various ancient writers used for a basis
(D) By the accounts of various ancient writers they used
(E)Using accounts of various ancient writers

I went for option (B) , my line was...

basing it on... thought "it" would refer to the sketchy picture

5.        By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers enabling it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.
(A) enabling it to withhold from the public
(B) for it to withhold from the public
(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of
(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure
(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of

Ans: A

isnt "it"  used in a wrong manner? am confused if " it" would refer to CIA or the Supreme court

8.        Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth; consequently, we see them as they were during the formation of the universe.
(A) we see them as they were during
(B) we see them as they had been during
(C) we see them as if during
(D) they appear to us as they did in
(E) they appear to us as though in

Ans:A 

as IF they were during.... is " if " redundant here?

9.        Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs hang like socks on a clothesline.
(A) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs hang
(B) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs were hanging
(C) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging
(D) seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging
(E) seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs have hung

Ans:D    same problem..." with " refers to monkeys or visitors..?

Hope you dont mind clarifying the doubts

Thank  You,

Kishore.

by Saurabh Shekhar - Tuesday, 14 August 2007, 10:27 PM
  a nice article...thanks dagny smile
by Alpa dedhia - Monday, 27 August 2007, 06:40 PM

Hi Dagny ,

The doubt is with reference to the question below.

3.        In his research paper, Dr. Frosh, medical director of the Payne Whitney Clinic, distinguishes mood swings, which may be violent without their being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis.

If there was no comma after mood swings,then is option E correct.

Also can u pls tell me how is E the correct option for question no 11.

by sMILING GadhUUU - Tuesday, 28 August 2007, 09:51 AM

Hi Dangy and TG,

A Gadha had been out on the roads for a while,but was hiding in the tuxedo of anonymity.....

But now the rays of the sun,the blaze of the night and the desire to be glazed by the lord of the Lord TG And DT,would make the gadha come out of the  self captivity...

My answers are as below:

1D

2A

3D

4D

5D

6B

7C

8A

9E

10A

11B

12C

13E

14A

15C

Let there be light.......

JITZY...

by gunjan arora - Friday, 21 September 2007, 06:52 PM

please please explain questions   ...

Q2-why not "E"

Q8-why not "b"

Q10-why not "c"

Q11-why not "b"

by Abhishek Kumar - Sunday, 11 November 2007, 08:04 AM

Dagny (Coffee mam) tongueout and TG sir...

just one suggestion from my side..

could u please switch to a larger font..coz i (and personally think many like me...) use desktops... glaring at a deski is harder than using a lappie...

hope u understand...

well heres dagny mams coded answers decoded...

1) D

2) E

3) C

4) C (repeated)

5) A

6) A

7) C

8) A

9) D
10)
E

11) E

12) C

13) E

14) E

15) C

Discussions are welcome.

Dagny

by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 13 November 2007, 11:07 AM
  Point taken  smile
thanks for givin advise
by manish jain - Monday, 17 March 2008, 12:57 AM

hi dagny,

todat i came across this site. and i found you did very tremendous work. i f got lot of new things from this.

by Rohit Arora - Thursday, 12 June 2008, 07:33 AM

1. d
  2. a
  3. e
  4. d
  5. d
  6. b
  7. c
  8. b
  9. d
  10. a
  11. b
  12. c
  13. e
  14. e
  15. c

Holy hell.. only 7 rite... what 4 months frm cat.. i wudn wanna b me

by mirdula sharda - Wednesday, 23 July 2008, 02:52 PM

hi dangy,

my answers

d

a

c

c

a

b

c

b

d

e

e

c

e

b

c

by inderpreet makkar - Friday, 25 July 2008, 02:52 AM

Hi Dagny

I sincerely want to ameliorate my position in the VA section.... pls help me get out of the woods.... i truly believe u can..u know what it takes to be there...

Can u pls share with me the explanations to the answers so that i can better understand the reason of eliminating the rest of the choices..

Banking on You TG and DT

Regards...IM

by deepa awasthi - Monday, 8 September 2008, 07:05 PM

Hi dagny..

Need your kind help in understanding few doubts :

In Q5 Above the ambiguity is whether " it " is referring to the Discretionary powers/CIA....And i feel the meaning of the sentence can also be expressed by option " d"..wats wrong in option d..similarly in Q11 why we can't use "inspite of " - option - B..and in Q15 why we used "protecting" and not " to Protect "...

Last but not the least what does Q12 conveyed..It was a total bouncer for me.....tongueout..

please help..

by nimish vikas - Tuesday, 16 September 2008, 02:12 AM
  hi DT

"Incorrect- The Dutch were growing koffie also at Malabar in India,...
Correct- The Dutch were also growing koffie at Malabar in India,...
The first sentence erroneously implies that the Dutch were growing other crops AND growing coffee also."----TRUE.

BUT your corrected sentence does not clarify whether it means:
1. the Dutch were growing other crops AND growing coffee also.
.....OR.....
2. the Dutch along with some other colony (say French) were growing coffee...The French were growing koffie...The Dutch were also growing koffie....Hence the original meaning of the erroneous sentence is lost.

kindly clarify/comment
thank you
nimish

by deepak garg - Saturday, 4 October 2008, 05:09 PM
  hey dangy wats the difference between 3(A) and 3(C), distinguish can be used in both the forms isnt, so why C not A
by Abhimanyu Singla - Friday, 17 July 2009, 09:52 PM
  Hi Dagny

Plz explain question 14 and 15
why 14 is not D
and y 15 is not E
by Saurabh - confusion fused - Saturday, 7 November 2009, 07:50 PM
  Hello Dagny,

Thank you for a nice article. But along with it I would like to say that the font you used is not at all good for eyes when you are reading something as lengthy as this. I would suggest simple fonts like Arial or Verdena rather than Monotype Corsiva. Please take this in a positive spirit!

Thank you.

Warm Regards,
Saurabh
by archana Agarwal - Wednesday, 18 November 2009, 06:32 PM

Hi,

thankz for d nice articlesmilesmile

regards,

Archana

by rahul jain - Friday, 20 November 2009, 07:32 AM
  here are the answers

1) D
2) E
3) C
4) C (repeated)
5) A
6) A
7) C
8) A
9) D
10) E
11) E
12) C
13) E
14) E
15) C

by rahul jain - Friday, 20 November 2009, 07:42 AM
  HI Dagny,

can you put the explanation for questions 3,5,and 11.

My answers were A,C and B respectively. Please give reasons to eliminate these.

regards
rahul
by anirban bhar - Tuesday, 1 December 2009, 07:15 PM
  @dagny mam,

i have jst started brushing up my grammar skills and following are the doubts that cropped up into my mind after kumar sir gave us a solid dose of raw grammar.

doubt1
  Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

aint this a case of ambiguity that the "pesticides microbes in soil have a relatively long history of pesticide use" rather than the soil itself.

thanks
anirban

by Rahul Bhat - Monday, 8 March 2010, 12:48 PM

Hi..My ans below.

Got 8/15

1- D-RIGHT

2- E-RIGHT

3- C-RIGHT

4- C-RIGHT

5- D-WRONG

6- A-RIGHT

7- C-RIGHT

8- B-WRONG

9- E-WRONG

10-E-RIGHT

11-D-WRONG

12-A-WRONG

13-D-WRONG

14-E-RIGHT

15-B-WRONG

Rahul.

by Pranav Raj - Sunday, 4 April 2010, 12:58 PM

Hi DGNY,

I'm sure the experts @CCD weren't joking when they came up w/ the tagline " A lot can happen over a cup of coffee"

Just joined the TG club.

Thanks! for sharing this wonderful chat/lesson and an equally great questionaire.

I scored 12 or 15 here.

Still have my doubts, like many other folks here, about the right choice for Question #11.

Looking fwd to more TG experience!

Raj

by miti chakraborty - Wednesday, 11 August 2010, 12:31 PM

Hi Dagny,

As guided by you I always try to solve these sentence correction problems by eliminating the wrong options. Here also I applied the same method but got three answers wrong. Please help me to find out where I was beaten.

10.    Downzoning, zoning that typically results in the reduction of housing density, allows for more open space in areas where little water or services exist.
(A) little water or services exist

--- services exists" does not sound good
(B) little water or services exists

--- wrong because verb should agree to the nearest subject.
(C) few services and little water exists

---"services exists" does not sound good

(D) there is little water or services available

--- we can break the sentence here as " there is little water available and there is little services available" .
(E) there are few services and little available water

--- correct

In the above case I was utterly confused while chosing b/w (D) and (E). Can you please tell me why (D) is wrong?

11.    Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.
(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War

--- wrong : having..... being
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War

--- wrong : "in spite...." doesnot make any sense
(C) Because there had been a sniper’s bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm

--- wrong : verbose and awkward, "....First World War that crippled..."-- misplaced modifier
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War

--- I thought this option to be correct.

I am still unable to find any fault in this sentence. Please help me out.

(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War

--- sounds awkward, though it is grammatically correct.

And now comes the question where I find it hard toeven eliminate most of the choices, let alone finding the correct answer.

14.    Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

--- Please tell me where it went wrong

--- Passive form is not preferred

--- meaningless

--- passive form is not preferred

--- 'the physician" is an addition.... is THAT permitted in GMAT?

Please tell me whether my explanations are right...

regards

Miti

by miti chakraborty - Wednesday, 11 August 2010, 01:51 PM

Hi Dagny,

One of my friends has come out with an explanation for the option a of question no. 14 not being  correct . . It is the case of Dangling Modifier. Isn't it?

Rgds

Miti

by miti chakraborty - Wednesday, 11 August 2010, 02:01 PM

Dagny,

can you please tell me why the incorrect sentence in your flavor 5 is "incorrect"?

by tgdel536 tg - Sunday, 22 January 2012, 04:39 PM
  I am still not sure about statement 11 . The answer is given as (E) though I am not able to understand how does "his hand ......" makes it a meaningful sentence. shouldn't it be of the form . "having his hand...", or "having... "
by Sirius Black - Monday, 23 January 2012, 06:38 PM
  Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

The reason why this is incorrect is that it has not been specified who is supposedly using the dopler effect, the fetal heartbeats can't possibly be using it.
by Sirius Black - Monday, 23 January 2012, 06:32 PM
  The Dutch were growing koffie also at Malabar in India, and in 1699 took some to Batavia in Java, in what is now Indonesia. Within a few years the Dutch colonies had become the main suppliers of coffee to Europe. Today Indonesia is the fourth largest exporter of koffie in the world.

In this sentence, 'also' is modifying the practice of growing crops of dutch rather than modifying the fact that dutch were credited to cultivate coffee in india. The correct sentence would be- The dutch were also growing coffee.. this suggests that among nations dutch had also begin cultivating coffee
by Radha Chawla - Tuesday, 28 February 2012, 09:19 PM

by Radha Chawla - Wednesday, 29 February 2012, 12:05 AM

Hey Dagny,

Awesome article but y all favour to 2007 batch.? :P

Please continue to write more articles.

Surely it will prove to be great help.

Kind regards,

Reeti.