New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
INSEAD
by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 23 May 2007, 08:35 AM
  With the opening of a dedicated campus in Singapore, INSEAD offers you the same programme structure in Europe or in Asia. Participants are rigorously selected from one applicant pool irrespective of their campus choice. The two campuses are equally diverse with the teaching faculty meeting the highest standards and MBA participants guaranteed access to global career opportunities.

insead gmat business school mba 2007 2008

insead gmat mba business school 2007 2008
Re: INSEAD
by Ankit Anand - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 02:02 PM

Hi Dagny,

Thank you for the valuable information shared. 

I wish to apply to INSEAD this October for the class of Fall 2008.  I had a couple of concerns about the validity and impact of my GMAT score.  First of all, I took the test in November 2002 (so, the score will expire November of this year).  I scored 730 and a 6 on my AWAs.  I understand that the score is considered valid as on the date of the application and that it still counts even though I am applying for the class of 2008.  Is that correct?

Second, the more important question - if the answer to the first one is 'Yes' - is whether the fact that my score is almost five years old will have any sort of negative impact relative to someone who has taken the test more recently.  Is that a factor that B-Schools, and INSEAD in particular, consider?

I would appreciate any information that you could share on LBS and other top rank non US schools as well.

Best Regards

by Dagny Taggart - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 09:10 PM

Hi Ankit,

GMAT scores are valid for five years: there should be less than five years between your test date and INSEAD application submission date. The deadlines are as follows:-

Deadlines for September 2008 intake (Class of July 2009)

Deadline for complete application

Interview decision on

Final decision on

1st Round

3 October 2007

9 November 2007

21 December 2007

2nd Round

5 December 2007

18 January 2008

29 February 2008

3rd Round

6 February 2008

21 March 2008

30 April 2008

4th Round*

3 April 2008

7 May 2008

20 June 2008

Since you have taken GMAT in November 2002, by the time you apply to INSEAD, your GMAT score will be 4 years and 11 months old (considering that you apply in the first deadline itself). Logically, you should be able to apply to INSEAD. Also, just to inform you that most of the colleges accept GMAT score which is not less than 2 years old but in that case they mention it.  Just in case, I have also contacted someone in the college itself, as soon as I get the reply, I will tell you the exact status.

As for your second query, it doesn’t make difference to the B School, how old is your score. A good GMAT score is one of the factors that increase of chances of getting into a B School bit it is not the only factor. Your Essays, Work Experience, Interviews, Extra Curricular Activities etc are some of the other factors that are considered by the B School before selecting the candidate.

I hope that answers your queries.

Dagny

by Ankit Anand - Friday, 25 May 2007, 12:35 PM

Thank you for your response Dagny. 

I would, indeed, be targeting the first deadlines for the respective business schools I apply to.  Now, I had mentioned LBS and they state on the website that the GMAT should be over the last 5 years as well. 

I completely understand the fact that the GMAT is one of several factors.  My concern was more in terms of 'all other things being equal'.  As I understand it, unless otherwise specified, my score would not only be valid but also as good as a 730 for someone who took the test in 2007  'all other things being equal', correct?

by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 25 May 2007, 08:22 PM

Hi Ankit,

You are absolutely correct. There are certain generalizations about INSEAD, confirmed by INSEAD alumni. INSEAD pays lesser attention to admission essays. It  pays more attention to GMAT/GPA /undergraduate school reputation/ career progression. At INSEAD, if you have a GPA of 4 from a private university, GMAT  score of 720+, good career progression with a brand-name firm but average essays, you will always have an edge on someone who has a weaker GPA at the same school, 680 GMAT and relatively weaker career progression at the very same firm with an exceptional story to tell  and outstanding essays. At top USA schools, the Essays can be  deal crackers.

Dagny

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 28 May 2007, 06:45 PM

Hi Ankit,

A good news for you!smile
The GMAT is valid for 5 years, with the end date being the date that you apply to INSEAD. (confirmed)

Good Luck.smile

Dagny

by Ankit Anand - Tuesday, 29 May 2007, 03:29 PM

Hey Dagny,

Thanks for all the info...i will be bothering you quite frequently as and when i feel the need to smile

I was also curious about the 16th yr of education and that is one thing I dont have much information about... I had heard some time ago that most US schools have done away with that requirement....does it stand good for European schools as well (like INSEAD and LBS)???

rgds,

Ankit

by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 30 May 2007, 11:28 AM

Hi Ankit,

16 years of education is not mandatory for applying to LBS and INSEAD. Every college in US mentions the admission criteria.Even in US,some good colleges like Warton Business School and Kellog School of Management accept 10+2+3 pattern of education.

"You can bother me quite frequently as and when you feel the need to."
smile

Dagny

by Ankit Anand - Sunday, 1 July 2007, 02:31 AM

Hi Dagny,

Been a while smile Had a couple of concerns:-

One, how much of an impact do my college scores have if I have a GMAT score of 730 with AWA score of 6.0? I have studied Economics at DU.  I have very low scores and actually took 5 yrs for a 3 yr degree.  Since I have a strong GMAT, will my performance at college be a hindrance i need to be concerned about as far as the academic strength of my profile is concerned??

Two, I have had work experience of around 4.5 yrs - mostly in the BPO industry.  However, the career path has been erratic to a certain extent.  I was last working as Assistant Manager with one of the largest BPOs in the country and am now looking to join an organization as a Business Development Manager.  I have NO International exposure. 

Well, not the best way to sell myself smile However, with this sort of a profile, am I being overambitious in applying to business schools like LBS and INSEAD?  Or do I have a reasonable shot at these two schools and the prospects would largely depend on the essays and, hopefully, the interview?

Rgds,

Ankit

by Dagny Taggart - Sunday, 1 July 2007, 07:46 PM
  Hi Ankit,

How have you been?

Sometimes, B Schools discount undergraduate GPAs because they are old measures of performance. Admission committee is more interested with what you have done in the recent scenario. (Your career growth, GMAT scores etc.) They would have to rely more heavily on under grad scores while evaluating the candidacy of a relatively young candidate with less work experience. Highlight your great GMAT score and work experience than highlighting your under grad scores in your application.

You can't really change your under grad scores, so there is nothing much that we can do about it.  People with bad GPAs end up getting into good schools mostly because of the way they sell themselves through their essays, interviews and GMAT scores.

You application consists of your GMAT score, application essays, interview, resume, transcripts and extra curriculars. If you are not very great at something, compensate it with rest of the things. Your career growth has been decent and you have good GMAT score, go ahead with your application. One very important advice would be that you apply as early as possible; it will be an added advantage.smile Btw, how good are your extra curriculars?

Dagny

by Ankit Anand - Tuesday, 3 July 2007, 07:52 PM

hey...thanks for the response....definitely helps...looks like i could give it a shot.

My extra curriculars haven't been good actually.. I was fairly active in sports but that's pretty much it. nothing out of the ordinary that i would boast about to be honest.  I was actually considering working with an NGO since I am currently looking out for a job.  However, it hasnt quite worked out and I guess i will be taking up a regular job.

By the way, since I am only a couple of months away from the application deadlines, do you reckon it would be better for me to take up any NGO profile rather than a possible BD Manager role that I might be quite close to getting at the moment.  My concern right now is obviously not the moolah but the admissions.  Suggestions??

Also, how much of a hit is the lack of International experience going to be?  Seems like INSEAD, in particular, gives a lot of importance to it.

Rgds,

Ankit

by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 4 July 2007, 09:02 PM
  Hi Ankit,

You can definitely boast about something that you have.I suggest that you choose 6-7 colleges where you would be applying. 2-3 colleges for your dream segment, 2-3 where the probability for the selection is high and 2-3 colleges where you are sure that the person with your kind of profile is going to get selected. Go ahead with your normal job and NGO work you can do on Sundays.
INSEAD selection is very rigorous and they actually look out for masters. Concentrate on your essays a lot, they are going to speak a lot about you. And preepare well for your interviews so that you are able to sell yourself well.

Dagny
by Ankit Anand - Monday, 10 September 2007, 02:26 AM
  hi dagny, thanks for all the help you've been so far....one question though, schools ask for official transcripts to be sent for Universities/colleges attended.  Do they not require school scores?? how come??
by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 03:27 PM
  Hi Ankit,

Long time smile Every B School mentions about the transcripts that they require. Some schools ask for all the documents from your 10th standard onwards and some ask for only College / University certificates depending upon the criteria that they set for the selection.

Dagny