New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
Time, Speed and Distance Unplugged
by Total Gadha - Monday, 21 May 2007, 07:17 PM
  cat 2010 2011 mba time speed and distanceFor an MBA aspirant, a problem on time, speed and distance means solving complex situations with the help of many equations. Whether you are a CAT 2010 or 2011 aspirant, time speed and distance will give you many sleepless nights. The chapter has both easy and tough aspects to it. The easy aspect is the formula; there is only one formula- Distance = speed x time- and it is known to every student. The tough aspect of course is the application of the formula; most students apply equations to solve the problems based on this formula. Let's have a look at a typical time, speed and distance problem:

Two trains start from stations A and B, respectively, towards each other at 12:00 noon. The trains take 7 hours and 13 hours, respectively, to cover the whole trip. What time do the two trains meet?

Well how would you solve it? If you already started writing an equation, hold your pen for a while. There's a better method. The method owes its existence to fundamentals of ratios and proportions. Let's have a look at the formula once again:

cat 2007 2008 mba time speed and distance

I conclude this chapter over here itself with only one thought for you all to ponder- I did not use equations in a single question. In the next chapter I'll cover relative speed and circular motion. Till then, chew the cud over these problems.

Total Gadha

I shall have to end here and leave the rest of it for my CBT Club students. I shall cover some problems based on this in the CBT Club this week.

If you think this article was useful, help others by sharing it with your friends!

Bookmark and Share
You might also like:
Use of Arithmetic and Harmonic Progressions in Time, Speed, and Distance
Time, Speed, Distance and Work- Solved Problems
Relative Speed, Clocks and Circular Motion
Re: Time, Speed and Distance Unplugged
by roger dylan - Monday, 21 May 2007, 08:31 PM

TG SIR,

Thanks a lot for this article. Although TSD is in my comfor zone, I don't get the concepts of "Race in a circular track" with equal elane. Could you please help me and others by providing an article for that topic, Please?

Regards,

Roger

by Deep Thinker Gadha - Monday, 21 May 2007, 08:55 PM
  Hey TG,
Nice articlesmile.......... (It's obviuos now.....there is no surprise that your article is awesome since you are awesomecool)
But, By the way i like your animations especially first one and cars. Which make anybody to read this one.

I'm thinking ?????? How lucky your students who have such Teacher?

-Sandeep
by Nitya S - Monday, 21 May 2007, 09:01 PM

Hi TG,

thanks a lot for the article on TSD.

I am drafting this reply as soon as i saw the post because i am struggling like hell in TSD and you have sent us the rescue as soon as it was asked for.

Thanks once again. Would get back to you as soon as i finish reading and chewing your post.

Thanks a milion.

Nitya.

by Amit Arora - Monday, 21 May 2007, 09:44 PM

That article was realy great.

Thanks for putting up the great show.

TG, Let me know if I can be any help in getting the things going for upcoming CAT.

by HARI POTTER - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 10:47 AM
  tis was very useful...all concepts given in sequence.... waiting for your relative speed and circular motion lecture....thanks
by chinni kiran - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 11:02 AM

Hi TG,

Two trains start from stations A and B, respectively, towards each other at 12:00 noon. The trains take 7 hours and 13 hours, respectively, to cover the whole trip. What time do the two trains meet?

I guess the answer is 4:33 PM. Plz tell if it's correct.

by KayBee Aar - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 11:09 AM

Awesome!!! Now I feel i ve wasted so much of time taking few exercises..the approach is wonderful...

Hey I guess therz a typo....first problem of TIME CONSTANT...answer is 800 not 1800.. just wanted to point this,so that others dunno ve confusion....

KayBee

by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 12:28 PM
  Hi Roger,

Let me write an article on circular motion soon. smile

Total Gadha
by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 12:40 PM
  Thanks Sandeep,

I think students in the 'gadha family' are luckier than my students. I don't get time to share all these things with my students in the class. smile

Total Gadha
by Nitya S - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 12:44 PM

Hi Chinni,

As I have already mentioned in this forum I am extremely week in TSD. So I am trying to give it a short.

There is at least 50% probability that this might be wrong so let us wait for TG or other friends to come up with the solution.

I went ahead like this.

Let the distance be 91 km (LCM of 7 and 13)

Then the speed becomes 13 km/hour and 7 km/hour for A and B respectively.

Since they are moving towards each other the relative speed will be 21 (7+13)

So the time taken will be (d/s) = 91/21 = 4*(7/21) = 4 hours and 20 minutes.

So they will meet at 4:20 pm

TG please let us know whether my approach / solution is correct.

Thanks,

Nitya.

by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 12:45 PM
  Hi Nitya,

I hope that the article was useful to you.

Total Gadha
by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 12:51 PM
  Hi Nitya and Kiran,

The times taken for the whole trip are 7 h and 13 h, respectively. Therefore, the ratio of the speeds is 13: 7. In the same time, the trains will cover 13/20 and 7/20 of the distance.
The first train covers the whole distance in 7 hours. Therefore, it will cover 13/20 of distance in (13/20) × 7 hours = 91/20 hours = 273 minutes. They will meet at 4:33

Total Gadha
by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 01:35 PM
  Hi Amit,

Thanks a ton for the offer. We can certainly to with a lot of help to make TG more useful. Post good questions in the forums, send us some useful articles/files that we can put up on TG for our other users, help weaker students in understanding the topics etc..smile

Total Gadha
by Tempo # 911 - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 03:38 PM

Dear TG Sir and Friends...

Nice article.

In the question of cat inside the tunnel how can be we sure that the train met the cat in both the cases in the same time?

If the time is not equal, then it is difficult to find the answer of this question.

Please explain.

Regards

Temperamental

by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 04:20 PM
  Hi Temperamental,

The times in two cases are certainly not the same but for any one of the cases, the time taken by the train and the cat is equal, i.e. in case 1, the train and the cat take the same time to travel to A. And in case 2, the train and the cat take the same time to travel to B. The ratios of distances in both cases give the ratios of the speeds. The ratios of the speeds have to be equal. That is all.

Total Gadha
by Tempo # 911 - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 04:38 PM

Got it TG Sir.smile

Obviously the ratios of their velocities have to be same.

Why am I so dumb...shy

Thanks.

Regards

Temperamental

by chinni kiran - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 05:09 PM

Hi Nitya....

Since they are moving towards each other the relative speed will be 21 (7+13)

you got correct except the following axiom........

7+13 =21..........

I think you didn't follow TG's Lessons on Numbers.....tongueout(Hope u take this in a good light dear)

by Nitya S - Wednesday, 23 May 2007, 11:47 AM

Thanks a lot Chinni!

Criticism is the best attitude you can ask from anyone esp when you are preparing for cat.

thank you,

Nitya.

by Nitya S - Wednesday, 23 May 2007, 01:30 PM

Hi TG,

thanks for the message and the post

wonderful article.

thanks a lot for helping us out.

i would try to chew this cud more properly and do the questions in the tsd quizz and then get back to you.

thanks once again,

Nitya.

by Vivek Singh - Wednesday, 23 May 2007, 03:07 PM
  Hi TG sir,

I have a question which i solved with my conventional method but couldn't be able to solve this with the method you have given. The question goes like this.

Anwar leaves home everyday at 4 p.m to pick his son from school and returns home at 6 p.m. One day, the school was over at 4 p.m and the son started walking home from school. Anwar, unaware of this, starts from home as usual and meets his son on the way and returns home with him 15 minutes early. If the speed of Anwar is 30 km\hr, find the speed of his son.

So sir could you please solve this for me.
by chinni kiran - Wednesday, 23 May 2007, 06:15 PM

Even Ifound ti's coomon sense-intensive than formulas-intesinve.....

Anwar must have met his son at 4:52.5 PM as he saved 15 min becz of his having walked. And Anwar covers a distance of 30/8 km in that 7.5 min which has been covered by his son in 52.5 min. So His son's speed is 7.5/52.5 times Anwar's speed which is 1/7(30)= 30/7 kmph.

I hope it's correct.

by Vivek Singh - Wednesday, 23 May 2007, 06:27 PM
  yes it is correct and thank you for your help.........
by Total Gadha - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 07:52 AM
  Hi Kiran,

What if Nitya is operating in base 9? evil The addition might be correct..big grin

Total Gadha
by Nitya S - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 08:41 AM

TG!!!

Pleaszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Sridevi S - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 10:23 AM

hai chinni,

can u pls explain how u got it as 4:52.5 PM.

"Anwar must have met his son at 4:52.5 PM as he saved 15 min becz of his having walked. And Anwar covers a distance of 30/8 km in that 7.5 min which has been covered by his son in 52.5 min. So His son's speed is 7.5/52.5 times Anwar's speed which is 1/7(30)= 30/7 kmph."

i assumed as Anwar saves 15 mins. So the time taken by the boy to travel is 15 mins and so they will meet at 4:45PM.

Kindly explain where i am going wrong

by Sridevi S - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 10:27 AM
  hai TG,

"The times in two cases are certainly not the same but for any one of the cases, the time taken by the train and the cat is equal, i.e. in case 1, the train and the cat take the same time to travel to A. And in case 2, the train and the cat take the same time to travel to B. The ratios of distances in both cases give the ratios of the speeds. The ratios of the speeds have to be equal. That is all."

But what about the relative speed. In the Case1 they both travel towards each other and in the Case2 they travel in the same direction. will this not change the time taken?
by Vivek Singh - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 10:30 AM
  There is one more question which i think is very good.

Three cars started from the same point at the same time in three different directions. The first two cars move in a straight line in opposite directions. It is noticed that after 2 hours, all the cars are at the same distance from the starting point. If the distance between the two cars which travelled in opposite directions is 170km, how far from the second car is the third car, given that the distance between the first and the third cars is 136 km?

Options are

1> 152km       2> 124km         3> 102km            4> cannot be determined

by chinni kiran - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 11:12 AM

Incidentally I solved it very recently.....so here is it.

Remember that formula that the diameter makes 90 degrees angle on the cicumeferece? here two cars travelled in opposite directions and the car that travelled in a different direction are at EQUAL distance from the starting point. Which means the cars(take them as points) should be on an imaginalry circle. Now you try drawiing a line between every two cars. what happens? you get a right angled triangle wiht hyp as 170 and other side as 136. so the other side must be 102!!!

thank you.

by Total Gadha - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 11:50 AM
  Hi Sridevi,

Yes, the times taken in two cases are different (read the first 10 words in my comment that you pasted). But do not apply relative speed here. You don't need to apply that. smile

Total Gadha
by chinni kiran - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 12:00 PM

Hi sridevi,

you shouldn't cnsider to and fro jurney. for to and fro he saved 15 min means he saved only 7.5 min for 'to' journey na. that's why 7.5 min.

" A person starts with 6/5th of his usual speed t1 minutes late and reached his office t1 minutes early. Now if he starts on time wiht 5/6th of his speed, how early/late by how much time in terms of t1, will he reach hte office" I think ti's a good prob.

by chinni kiran - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 12:09 PM

What if Nitya is operating in base 9? evil The addition might be correct..big grin
Total Gadha

>>>>>> big grin

by Nitya S - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 05:48 PM
  Chinni!!!!!! evil
by chinni kiran - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 06:27 PM

hey did anybody solve this q.

A person starts with 6/5th of his usual speed t1 minutes late and reached his office t1 minutes early. Now if he starts on time wiht 5/6th of his speed, how early/late by how much time in terms of t1, will he reach hte office...

I got the ans as 12t1/5. he wil be late.

by Vivek Singh - Thursday, 24 May 2007, 07:16 PM
  Hi Kiran,

I got the same answer.
My approach is like

Had he started at his normal time he would have saved 2t1 time by traveling at speed 6/5th of the normal. Then the time taken will be 5/6th of the original time. So he saved actually 1/6th of the original time. So normal time of travel will be 12t1.
Now if he traveled at speed 5/6 th of the original then time taken will be 6/5th of the original that means he is taking extra 1/5th of the normal time which is 12t1.
So he will be late by 12t1/5.

Regards
Vivek Singh
by Sridevi S - Friday, 25 May 2007, 09:45 AM
  10x TG and Chinnismile
by anurag atish - Monday, 28 May 2007, 01:12 PM
  dear TG,
there is the same question of ram and shyam in a race of track length 5km mentioned in section of "constant time" and "constant distance" from CAT 2005.

in the "constant distant" section it is solved correctly but in next section of "constant time" the same question is giving different answer..

please have a second look on them and clarify me if i'm missing anything !!!
by Vivek Singh - Monday, 28 May 2007, 01:46 PM
  Well the question actually ask you at what time does Shyam overtake Ram?

Ram reach point B in one hour and Shyam reach the same distance in half an hour with speed doubled that of Ram.
That means Shyam reaches point B at 10:15am and Ram at 10:00am. So by the time Shyam reaches point B Ram had alreay left and also he traveled for 15 min. So in 15 min Ram had traveled 5/4 km. Now Shyam is at point B. For Shyam to overtake Ram he must have to travel d + 5/4 km where "d" is the further distance covered by Ram. As the time taken by both of them is same so speed is proportional to the distance covered.

d / d + 5/4 = 5 / 10 => d = 5/4

So to cover the distance 5/4km time taken is 5/4 * 1/5 = 1/4 hr => 15 min
Shyam overtake Ram at 10:30 min.

I hope it is clear..
by Total Gadha - Monday, 28 May 2007, 02:06 PM
  Thanks Vivek smile Just to make things clear, there were two questions on the same set (Ram and Shyam) in CAT 2005. One question I have included in 'Distance constant' and the other in 'Time constant' scenario.

Total Gadha
by Vivek Singh - Monday, 28 May 2007, 02:13 PM
  No Thank youuuuuuu Sir................
Actually i solved the same question wrong in CAT 2005. Now after reading your article i am able to solve those question also which i was not able to and even much more faster...

I Thank You Sir...
by Total Gadha - Monday, 28 May 2007, 02:22 PM
  hmm..THAT post made my day! smile And let's get you your dream this time. smile
by Vivek Singh - Monday, 28 May 2007, 02:26 PM
  Yes Sir this is my dream.
I will try my best to never let you down. And sir i have a request please post same kind of article on Function and Allegation and mixture.

by Kunal Gupta - Tuesday, 29 May 2007, 06:00 PM

Waiting for the next next chapter relative speed and circular motion....

Pls consider at the earliest..

by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 29 May 2007, 08:23 PM
  Hi Kunal,

Forgive me for the delay. Give me 2 more days. Although I want to go as fast as I could, my classes at the coaching institute and the affairs of my own education company barely leave me time to write a lesson that can pass my standards of quality. Anyhow, will write it today or tomorrow without fail. smile

Total Gadha
by Kunal Gupta - Wednesday, 30 May 2007, 09:21 AM

Thank u very much sir ....

by Long Last - Thursday, 31 May 2007, 11:58 AM

SOL

speed of trains=d/7 and d/13

joint speed of doth the trains=d/7 + d/13 =20d/91

Total distence=d

speed=20d/91

.'. time=d/(20d/91)=4.55 hr

by Brijesh Mishra - Thursday, 31 May 2007, 09:00 PM

Hi TG,

this is an amazing concept, can you please share the concept of all the major chapters of cat exam..

by Total Gadha - Friday, 1 June 2007, 04:00 AM
  Hi Brijesh,

Will do smile

Total Gadha
by Kunal Gupta - Friday, 1 June 2007, 12:22 PM

How can we apply TG sir,s Time constant theorm here to solve the Q??

TG sir pls explain...

Waiting for Circular motion chapter..

by Total Gadha - Friday, 1 June 2007, 02:49 PM
  Hi Kunal,

Which question? I think I have already solved that question in one of these posts. And yes, I remember the circular motion lesson smile
by total senti - Monday, 4 June 2007, 11:48 AM

Hi TG,

Please provide me a short cut to crack the problems of ship(still water, up n down streams...):

Q. Two points A and B are 10 km away. speed of ship in still water is 3 km /hr. while going downstream from a to b, ship takes 15 minutes lesser. what should be the speed of the ship in still water if we want the time taken for the whole trip to be 100 minutes.....

Regards,

by Total Gadha - Monday, 4 June 2007, 01:23 PM
  Hi Total Senti smile

Can't think of a shortcut and I doubt any shortcut will be shorter than the straightforward method of finding the stream velocity. You do not require any equation for this method even.

Good name btw smile

Total Gadha
by total senti - Monday, 4 June 2007, 06:11 PM

Hi Total Senti smile

Can't think of a shortcut and I doubt any shortcut will be shorter than the straightforward method of finding the stream velocity. You do not require any equation for this method even.

Good name btw smile

.. so without equations how can u solve it... kindly explain...

by Total Gadha - Monday, 4 June 2007, 07:33 PM
  Speed of stream = velocity downstream - velocity in still water = 10/(10/3 - 1/4) - 3 = 9/37 km/hr
Downstream velocity needed = 10/100/60 = 6 km/hr
Therefore, ship velocity needed = 6 - 9/37 = 5.75 km/hr
by Suman Shil - Friday, 8 June 2007, 03:19 PM

Hi ,

I am  facing problem in solving the following problem using the concept discussed above :

A person left point A for point B . Two hours later, another person left A for B and arrived at B at the same time as the first person .Had both started simultaneously from A and B travelling towards each other , they would have met in 80 minutes .How much time did it take the  faster person to travel from A to B .

Someone please help me to solve this . Thanks in advance .

by Total Gadha - Saturday, 9 June 2007, 02:58 PM
  Let the time taken by the second be t minutes. Therefore, the time taken by the first person is t + 120. Let the total distance be d.

The second person travels d in t minutes. Therefore he will travel 80d/t in 80 minutes. Similarly, the first person will travel 80d/(t + 120) in 80 mins.

80d/t + 80d/(t + 120) = d --> 80/t + 80/(t + 120) = 1 --> t = 120 mins = 2 h.

Realize that the first case is distance constant case whereas the second case is time constant case. It would be difficult to relate the two.
by Suman Shil - Monday, 11 June 2007, 02:28 PM

Hi TG Sir ,

Thanks a lot .

regards

Suman Chandra

by kanika kwatra - Saturday, 16 June 2007, 06:17 PM

thanks a lot tg sir

for dis useful article

i am quite new to this site

i first read your fundamentals and then practised questions based on the topic,n found real ease at solving some questions which i cud not do before.

sir i am quite weak at geometry,so if u can post some article on dat also,i'l be really grateful

thankyou

kanika,delhi

by varun soni - Thursday, 21 June 2007, 07:57 PM

hey T.G.

MAN I THNK U REALLY ROCK...THE TIME SPEED DISTANCE WAS SUCH A HELP TO ME.

U KNW IT WILL BE A GREAT THING IF U PUT UP SUCH SOLVED EXAMPLES FOR SOME

GEOMETRY PROBLEMS TOO...AND ALSO PUT VARIOUS WORDS THAT WILL B VERY

HELPFUL FOR ALL THE STUDENTS...totalgadha.com rules..

by vinay kumar P - Friday, 22 June 2007, 03:22 PM
  hello  sir , I m vinay , I found the topic useful .Would you please extend the topic into circular tracks too.
by Monica Yadavendra - Tuesday, 26 June 2007, 04:21 PM

hey tg...

I m still awaiting the circular motion lession smile

by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 26 June 2007, 08:48 PM
  Hi Monica,

Check the main page. The circular motion chapter is already there. smile

Total Gadha
by Monica Yadavendra - Wednesday, 27 June 2007, 07:30 PM
  Thanks TJ...  smile
by Gul Gul - Wednesday, 4 July 2007, 12:15 PM

Hey TG

Can v hav sum stuff on upstream, downstream problems...Whatever is der in ur site i m able 2 understand...So Plz can u add this things 2....Thanks 4 ur luv n support......

Gullz 

by Monica Yadavendra - Friday, 6 July 2007, 07:36 PM

hi tg,

can u provide the word document of this article, as i m not able to take the proper print of the same

by Amishe 800 - Monday, 9 July 2007, 10:53 PM

TG ...This approach is fine ....But what i Learnt from you other chapter of motion ... it can be cracked more fast ...see below

They are in opp direction so Realtive speed = d/7 + d/13

Now to meet they have to travel   = d distance

so time = d/( d/7 + d/13) = 91/20 ...that's it ...

What do you say ?

Time, Speed and Distance Unplugged
by Sandeep Raina - Wednesday, 8 August 2007, 01:32 AM
  5. A train after travelling 50 km from A meets with an accident and proceeds at 4/5th of the former speed and reaches B, 45 min late. Had the accident happened 20 km further on , it would have arrived 12 min sooner. Find the orginal speed and the distance.
by priya l - Saturday, 11 August 2007, 06:49 AM
  Hi guys
I an new here.By the way i got an answer,
If we think carefully, we may conclude that the speed of the train upto 50km are the same in both the cases, and also the speed after (50+20) 70 km are the same in both the cases. Thus the difference in time 12 min. is only due to difference in speed for the 20 km journey.
Now, if the speed of the train is x km/h then =  20/ 4x/5 - 20/x =12/60
                                                                    =25km/h

I hope i would be correct.
by Siddharth Pareek - Saturday, 8 September 2007, 11:05 PM
  Hi TG ,
          this is yet another great artilce  to read...ur efforts are really awesome...since i was going through this article so thought of taking a hrad copy of this...but the article contains one single image which is not possible to come under one single page...
         Could you please make this and some others in this manner so that me n others can have its print to keep it with us.
     Looking forward towards your reply in this regard soon.

Regards
Siddharth
by Satyam Gadha - Monday, 17 September 2007, 02:32 PM
  Awesome article. However it took two attempts to understand and implement the logic discussed. But its worth learning it. But when I tried to apply it to stream problem it didn't work out as expected. Now I will take a look at relative and circular article, and I am sure I will get something exciting there too.

Thanks
Satyagadha
by Nidhi Chopra - Monday, 17 September 2007, 03:24 PM

HI TG

Ur articles r really awesome !!! n r proving 2 be of a great help..But I m not able 2 take print..As it is a image..only one page prints..

Plz can u help in this regard ASAP..

Nidhi

by Gaurab Pantu - Tuesday, 18 September 2007, 05:02 PM
  Examples are very helpful and demonstrated clearly.I am kind enough if you provide more such tipe examples
by garima jain - Wednesday, 19 September 2007, 05:27 PM

I couldnt get this questn's solutn...plz explain further..

by mithun vyas - Tuesday, 25 September 2007, 04:53 PM
  hii..TG..i have been a silent observer and a silent learner from ur posts till date....ur articles are really good...to the point and very lucid...thanks a ton to u TG...i have learnt a lot from ur website and posts..am a frequent visitor....and i like ur way of teaching....will post my replies regularly from now on....
by Total Gadha - Wednesday, 26 September 2007, 02:00 AM
  Hi Mithun,

Thanks a ton. smile Do engage yourself in forums. You might be able to help people who know less than you do. If I could, I would create millions of TGs like me in India. smile

Total Gadha
by rohit avasthi - Saturday, 29 September 2007, 12:15 PM

hi,

extremely useful insight,thnx,its a nice example hw a known thing is forgotten by most ,and we end up doing stuff in the wrst poss manner.

thnx for the contribution.

rohit

by Swam Sinha - Tuesday, 2 October 2007, 08:15 PM

Great!! article, really helpful..........hats off!!

by Aditi Dvivedi - Wednesday, 3 October 2007, 06:31 PM

Hi TG,

There are two problems solved here based on Ram and Shyam (CAT 2005). Both gives different results. One give 10.10 and other give 10.30.

Which approach is correct?

Thanks

by Aditi Dvivedi - Wednesday, 3 October 2007, 06:31 PM

Hi TG,

There are two problems solved here based on Ram and Shyam (CAT 2005). Both gives different results. One give 10.10 and other give 10.30.

Which approach is correct?

Thanks

by Total Gadha - Wednesday, 3 October 2007, 10:55 PM
  Aditi,

These are two different questions on the same set. Answers to both of them are correct.

Total Gadha
by Vikas Goyal - Wednesday, 10 October 2007, 02:27 PM

Assume the distance betwen A and B =  D

And the time when they meet/collide: T

Therefore,

D*T/7 + D*T/13 = D

Thus T/7 + T/13 = 1

And T comes out to be = 91/20

and add it with 4

by RIDHIMA CHOPRA - Thursday, 25 October 2007, 10:21 PM

thanx tg sir

i found ur article really interesting n helpful

could u plz help me in the following prob

To cover the 450 km dis between delhi n jaipur,shivku started at 2.00pm from delhi.he drove at a speed of 30 km/hr for the first 3 hrs and then changed his speed to 45km/hr.he maintained this speed for the next 180km and then changed his speed once again to reach jaipur at 11.00pm on the same day on which he started from delhi.rajasthan state trans corp.(RSTC) runs bus service from jaipur to delhi.one bus starts every hour with the first bus leaving jaipur at 6.00am and the last bus of the day leaves jaipur at 8.00pm .all RSTC buses run at a uniform speed of 45km/hr.a meeting is said to happen whenever shivku meets an RSTC bus on his way to jaipur

Q.1find the ratio of the min n the max possible time interval between any 2 consecutive meetings

1   1:3

2   2:3

3   1:4

4   5:9

Q2 find the ratio of no of buses that shivku met when he was driving at 30 km/hr,at 45km/hr and at the speed with which he drove during the last part of his journey respectively.

1 2:5:6

2 2:3:6

3 2:4:3

4 4:6:5

plz plz plz help kuch samajh nahi aa raha

what do i do??????????

by RIDHIMA CHOPRA - Thursday, 25 October 2007, 10:21 PM

thanx tg sir

i found ur article really interesting n helpful

could u plz help me in the following prob

To cover the 450 km dis between delhi n jaipur,shivku started at 2.00pm from delhi.he drove at a speed of 30 km/hr for the first 3 hrs and then changed his speed to 45km/hr.he maintained this speed for the next 180km and then changed his speed once again to reach jaipur at 11.00pm on the same day on which he started from delhi.rajasthan state trans corp.(RSTC) runs bus service from jaipur to delhi.one bus starts every hour with the first bus leaving jaipur at 6.00am and the last bus of the day leaves jaipur at 8.00pm .all RSTC buses run at a uniform speed of 45km/hr.a meeting is said to happen whenever shivku meets an RSTC bus on his way to jaipur

Q.1find the ratio of the min n the max possible time interval between any 2 consecutive meetings

1   1:3

2   2:3

3   1:4

4   5:9

Q2 find the ratio of no of buses that shivku met when he was driving at 30 km/hr,at 45km/hr and at the speed with which he drove during the last part of his journey respectively.

1 2:5:6

2 2:3:6

3 2:4:3

4 4:6:5

plz plz plz help kuch samajh nahi aa raha

what do i do??????????

hi ...Ridhima ....
by Amit Jangid - Sunday, 4 November 2007, 10:48 PM
  Que posted by you is really very difficult to solve ....
but i m gud with guesses ....
and my guesses ...are....

que 1) 4  5:9
que 2) 4  4:6:5

if my ans are correct only then ...ask for approach ....ok bye ...
dont say that ...they are wrong ...pls thoughtful

by Total Gadha - Wednesday, 7 November 2007, 07:51 PM
  Hi Ridhima,

I think this question can be solved through basic logic itself. The buses start at 6:00 am and the last bus leaves at 8:00 pm. Shivku reaches Jaipur at 11:00 pm. From the 6:00 am bus to 8:00 pm bus, Shivku will meet every bus. These are 15 buses in all.

The buses take 10 hours to reach from Jaipur to Delhi. There is a distance of 45 km between any two consecutive buses. When Shivku starts, 8 hours have already elapsed since 6:00 am. Therefore, only 2 hours would be left for the first bus to complete its journey. At the end of Shivku's first lap, it is 5:00 pm and Shivku has covered 90 km. Shivku will meet a bus which has still two hours to complete its journey (the bus takes two hours to cover 90 km) and it will be 9:00 am bus. Therefore, Shivku meets 4 buses in his first lap (6:00 am to 9:00 am bus)

But ignoring all this logic, you can see that in the second question, only the last option gives the sum of the buses as 15.

For the first question, just find the ratio of the highest to lowest relative speed.
by Cheeni Kum - Monday, 14 April 2008, 11:46 PM

hi TG,

i have a query on this question from the quiz on Time and Distance--

If Roshan and Swati leave their houses at 10:00, walking directly towards each other, they meet at 10:10. If Roshan leaves his house at 10:00 and Swati leaves her house at 10:03, again walking towards each other, they meet at 10:11.At what time will Swati reach Roshan's house if she leaves her house at 10:00?

my approach---

let Roshan's speed be x and Swati's speed be y

So, in the first case total distance=10(x+y)

in the second case, Roshan travels for 11 mins and Swati for 3 mins

so total distance= 11x + 8y

equating,

10(x+y)=11x+8y

so x=2y

total distance= 10(3y)=30y

so time taken by swati is 30y/y=30 mins

so she reaches at 10:30.......

could u please suggest alternative approaches to the problem

thanks

by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 15 April 2008, 10:42 AM
  From 10:00 to 10:10 --> 10 mins
From 10:03 to 10:11 --> 8 mins

If Roshan and Swati walk for 10 mins towards each other they cover the whole distance. So if they walk for 8 mins towards each other, they will coves 8/10 = 4/5th of the total distance. Therefore, Roshan covers 1/5th of the total distance from 10:00 to 10:03.
In 3 mins he covers 1/5th of the total distance, therefore in 10 mins he will cover 2/3rd of the distance. Therefore Swati covers 1/3rd of the total distance in 10 mins. Therefore she will cover whole distance in 30 mins.
by Jaidev Nair - Thursday, 24 April 2008, 01:45 PM

Hi TG:

Thanks for the article. You just showed us what kind of thought process is required for cracking CAT. We just dont need something like a rocket science.

Looking forward for next article.

Regards

PS: apologies for being so formal. i am from the corporate world wink

by Lord Aragorn - Sunday, 27 April 2008, 10:37 PM
  HI TG Sir,

The content was awesome. Please do post similar enlightening stuff on circular races and the swimming pool laps coincidences of two swimmers.

by anniee panda - Monday, 5 May 2008, 01:14 PM

Hello Sir

This is my 1st post.Pardon me if I am being foolish.But I am not able to find out the links to geometry,tsd,number system quizzes.

Please help..

by surya vaidyanathan - Wednesday, 7 May 2008, 05:41 PM

Hello Sir,

I have been going through this forum for the past few days, and I must say i have found the site and the information presented in a very good way..Thanks a ton.. .

by Rohit Jain - Friday, 13 June 2008, 10:53 PM

hii tg sir...

thankuu so much sir...

bt there r two questions involving ram and shyam and the answers to both the questions are differnt...plss clear...

by ulaganathan nagappan - Wednesday, 9 July 2008, 07:33 PM
  1)ans s d)5:9...as d buses run at constant speeds..d car meets each bus after s distance or say gap f 45 kms..as car and bus come in opp directions.just add d speeds..d car runs at a min speed 0f 30 kph and max speed f 90kph..so net speed min=30+45=75kph and net speed max=90+45=135..d dist=45 kms in each case..so ratio of times s inverse f speeds..ie min by max time s 75%135=5:9
by ulaganathan nagappan - Wednesday, 9 July 2008, 07:50 PM

hey i get the answer to be 4:8:3....see the first meeting happens at 3.12 pm..as at 2 pm the first bus at 6am travells 8(time)*45(speed)=360 kms..total dist is 450 kms..so 90 kms s dist..speed is 30-(-45) as opp direction..so 75 kms..now 90/75..1 hr 12 min..there after..dist s 45 kms fr next bus..so 36 mins..so at 3.48..4.24 nd 5 pm..first 3 hrs..so 4 buses at 30 kph..fr the next meet..45/90 as speed s 45 kph nw..30 mins..5.30 ,6,6.30...8.00..totally 8 buses..totally 15 buses frm 6 am to 8 pm..hence last speed f car 3 meetings..so 4:8:3..think am right..someone please help me if am wrong..

by Soumya De - Friday, 11 July 2008, 02:25 PM

I am using the materials from this site for the past 2 months. But still this is my first post.

I just couldn't keep on postponing this:

THIS SITE IS SIMPLY AWESOME!

by Rahul Aggarwal - Friday, 11 July 2008, 06:04 PM

TG rocks...it simply does...

This was nothing less than a revolution for me..TSD has been by nemesis for a long time but now I can perhaps feel the confidence in me for firing at the questions involving TSD without fail, that too without using any formulae and equations...! Too good..man

Thanks TG..smile

by lakshmikar Polamreddy - Friday, 11 July 2008, 06:35 PM
  Thanks a lot for this article has broaden my thinking, really.
by Santosh Sarangi - Tuesday, 15 July 2008, 12:16 AM

Answer to the 2nd question is 2:4:3

First meet happens 72 mins from 2pm and there after every 36 minutes.

So meeting at 72, 108, 144 and 180 --> 1st part journey (4 times)

2nd part journey --> meet every 30 minutes

So, 210,240,270,300,330,360,390,420 --> 2nd part (8 times)

3rd part journey --> meet every 20 minutes

So, 440, 460,480,500,520,540 --> 3nd part (6 times)

4:8:6 => 2:4:3

Please let me know if i missed something,

Regards,

Santosh

by Santosh Sarangi - Tuesday, 15 July 2008, 12:36 AM

Hello Ulaganathan,

The number of buses / day is 18 and not 15..1st,2nd part I got the same. Last part the meeting would happen every 20 minutes...

Regards,

Santosh.

by The aimer - Tuesday, 22 July 2008, 08:12 PM

Can someone please solve this problem :

If two vehicles A and B start at the same time from points P and Q towards each other and after meeting

each other,they take m and n hours to reach their repsective ends,then
A's speed : B's speed ?

The answer is (n/m)^1/2.

by The aimer - Tuesday, 22 July 2008, 08:13 PM

Can someone please solve this problem :

If two vehicles A and B start at the same time from points P and Q towards each other and after meeting

each other,they take m and n hours to reach their repsective ends,then
A's speed : B's speed ?

The answer is (n/m)^1/2.

Question
by Dipayan Pal - Wednesday, 23 July 2008, 03:23 PM

Hi TG sir,

Plz help me solve this sum. I used the distance constant concept.

A train left station A for station B at a certain speed. After 100Km it met with an accident and travelled at 4/5 of its original speed and reached station B 45mins late.Had the accident occured 50Km further on it would reach 30mins late.What is the distance between the stations A & B?

I proceeded in this manner.........

Soln

here the difference in time is due to the 50 Km travelled in the 2nd case.

let the original time taken is t.

so after accident time taken is 5/4 t.

so difference in time 5/4 t - t =15 mins (45 - 30)

so t = 60 mins.

Therefore original speed of train is 50Km/hr.

But sir how will i extend this to find the distance between the stations.

plz help

Dip.............

Re: Question
by Surendran Chandravathanan - Friday, 24 October 2008, 04:01 PM

Hi,

The distance is 250 Km.....

Assume at first d distance to be 250 Km.....so wid 50 km/hr speed, he wud reach d place in 5 hrs....now, take any one condition...after travelling 150 km ( wud take 3hrs) he travels at 40 km/hr (4/5th of 50) for the rest of 100 km distance......so ultimately, he wud take extra 2.5 hrs to travel dat 100 km distance at 40 km/hr rite........so he reaches 0.5 hr late as per d condition given.....

Rgds,

Suren

Re: Question
by baby assassin - Sunday, 5 July 2009, 11:53 AM
  dear tg sir,

i have a doubt...in the problem ram and shyam..Shyam started 45 min after Ram..with both having diff. speed..how shyam travel the same distance as ram in (t-45) min...?
by aashish biala - Tuesday, 14 July 2009, 05:14 PM

hi TG, smile

I have been running from this topic for last 2 years but now after going through your post and practising some questions, i am pretty confident.

keep up the good work.

thanks a lot TG,

Aashish Biala

by anubhav arora - Saturday, 25 July 2009, 11:52 PM
  Hi,

I have a small issue with the last question..Consider the following statement in the question..

"..but Y has to stop for 15 min at station C which is 60 Km away from B".

My point is that in the solution given by TG, it has been assumed that train Y is stopping for full 15 min before it meets train X. According to me we'll have to first verify whether Y is actually waiting for full 15 min( which is the case here) or not..

To make my point clear..let us say train Y stops for 15 min at C which is 70 km from B..Now the solution given by TG would no longer be correct, as Y does not have to wait for full 15 min..train X crosses Y before the end of Y's waiting period of 15 min..

Do tell me if I am missing something..

Awaiting ur reply TG,  
Anubhav DCE

by kumar swambhu - Monday, 27 July 2009, 10:53 PM
  one of the very fine articles sir,
by - SK - Sunday, 2 August 2009, 07:32 PM

Thank you sooooooo much sir... Pls keep posting sir..
Waiting for ur posts desperately... plssss help us, adding new posts sir

Shiva

by ankur rana - Tuesday, 4 August 2009, 06:25 PM
  hi tg
the way you have explained this concept is awesome.
thanx a lot
by iim freak - Saturday, 29 August 2009, 06:38 PM
  hi TG sir

Thanks a lot for another wonderful set of concepts.I know i am too late in thanking but i could not help my self from doing so after going through these superb concepts smile

Best Regards
iim freak
by nil483 nil - Saturday, 5 September 2009, 07:22 PM

Hi All,

I have a question related to  Time and Speed topic of Arun sharma. The question is in LOD-2. Question number being 33.

Questn: Ravi caught a train for home earlier than usual yesterday.His wife picks him up everyday. But yesterday, he set out on foot to meet his wife on the way.He reached home 12 mins earlier than he would if he had waited for his wife at station.The car travels at uniform speed which is 5 times Ravi's speed on foot. Ravi reached home at 6 o ' clock. At what time would he have reached home if his wife, forewarned of his plan, had met him at station.

Plz provide the explanation for the same.

by Hemant Ahire - Monday, 7 September 2009, 04:36 AM
  Ravi reached 30 min before his actual time to station and started to walk. If his wife was aware of his plans then he will be @ home at around 5.36. Please tell me whether I m correct or wrong
by arpit gupta - Wednesday, 18 November 2009, 11:52 AM
  Awesome article!!! Nice work TG...
by Pallav Jain - Wednesday, 18 November 2009, 03:50 PM
  Hi Guys ! here is another simple but tricky question ???

A starts from home for his office. He travels downhill, then on flat ground and then uphill to reach his office. It takes him 3 hrs to reach the office. On the way back home A takes 3 hrs 10 min to reach home along the same route. The speeds downhill is 60 km/hr, on flat ground is 48 km/hr and uphill is 40 km/hr.

What is the distance between A’s home and his office?
144 km
148 km
154 km
160 km
Data Insufficient

Cheers !!!!!!

Pallav
by amar goswami - Wednesday, 18 November 2009, 09:03 PM
  Hi Pallav,

Here you go..

suppose while going from home to office:

distance downhill = x
flat distance = y
uphill distance = z

from the given data it is clear that
x/60 + y/48 + z/40 = 3 ------ (i)
x/40 + y/48 + z/60 = 3 + 10/60 = 19/6  ------- (ii)

from i - ii we get

x =  z + 20 ------ (iii)
from i and iii we get
2z + y = 128 which can be written as  z + z + y =128 ---- iv
substitute value of z from iii in iv
x-20 + z + y = 128

it implies x+y+z =148
by Pallav Jain - Thursday, 19 November 2009, 01:12 AM
  thanks Bdy !!
but dont u think that its quite lengthy. Do you have any shortcut?
by amar goswami - Thursday, 19 November 2009, 02:04 AM
  No mate, no shortcut with me.. Btw i can tell u that its not lengthy, its just that u n i are not used to doing calculations and will consume time in taking lcm of 4 and 6 also.. sad
by Pallav Jain - Thursday, 19 November 2009, 02:27 AM
  hehe gr8 yaar thts very true.. !!
by kanika arora - Saturday, 21 November 2009, 03:16 PM
  hi Frens !

A swimmer jumps from a bridge over a canal and swims 1 km upstream. After that first kilometer, he passes a floating cork. He continues swimming for another half an hour and then turns around and swims back to the bridge. The swimmer and the cork arrive at the bridge at the same time. The swimmer has been swimming with constant speed. How fast does the water in the canal flow?

a0.5 km/hr
  b2 km/hr
  c3.5 km/hr
  d4 km/hr
  e1 km/hr

Regards

Kanika
by kunal kaira - Saturday, 21 November 2009, 03:52 PM
  hey kanika is the answer 0.5 kmph
by kanika arora - Saturday, 21 November 2009, 05:02 PM
  nop
by yash gupta - Sunday, 22 November 2009, 02:38 PM
  ans is 1km/hr,
kanika can u tell me source 4m where u get all these problems or send all ur problems on my email-ayashgupta@gmail.com, i will be thankful 2 u ,waiting 4 ur positive response
by yash gupta - Monday, 23 November 2009, 04:34 AM
  is the ans of this quet. is right or wrong
by AMIT BANSAL - Sunday, 29 November 2009, 04:55 PM
  let total distance be D
speed of cork=speed of canal=v
speed of swimmer=u
then 30/60+ {D/(u+v)} = 1/v----(i)
and D=1+(u-v)/2---(ii)

put value of D in (i)
we get u(v-1)=0
so  v=1
I hope i am correct......smile
by Arpit Kesarwani - Monday, 30 November 2009, 03:12 PM
  Thank you sir...
it was a great help...
questions given covered d entire topic, it was worth goinf thru d lesson
by Lakhan Mohta - Sunday, 13 June 2010, 10:45 PM
  answer is 4.28km/h..
by arun soman - Saturday, 1 October 2011, 10:59 PM
  would u explain this ques properly to me
by Arpit Grover - Thursday, 3 November 2011, 03:52 AM
  the question @ da start is same as '2 man do a work separately in
7 and 13 days respectively.whn will dey finish if dey do it together' (1/7 +1/13 = 1/t i.e. t = 13*7/13+7).. thnx TG for dis epic gem of an article
by gaurav prakash - Tuesday, 31 January 2012, 08:01 PM

since the flat plane is ame in both the journey(to and from the office).so some more distance is traveled uphill (as the difference in time).

so that distance (D) travelled more uphill. can be calculated :

D/40-D/60= 1/6(10 m in hrs) ------ (i)

D=20km

x/40 + y/48 + x+D/60 = 3 ------ (2)
2x+y=128...........(3)

total distance =128 +20=148

smile

by Tarun Aggarwal - Saturday, 4 October 2014, 03:08 PM
  Ajay left X for Y at 9 :00 am . Bala left Y for X also at 9 :00 am . After their meeting at a point on the way , Ajay took 16 minutes to reach Y and ..Bala took 9 minutes to reach X . Find their meeting time ?
by TG Team - Sunday, 5 October 2014, 05:25 PM
  Hi Tarun smile

Just draw the situation and get the required time. They met after (16*9)1/2 = 12 minutes after 9:00am. smile

Kamal Lohia
by Total Nasamajh - Monday, 13 June 2016, 08:44 PM
  Can you please explain how you arrived at (16*9)^(.5)?
Edit: Oh, I just figured it out. No worries.