New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
Tricky SC
by d singh - Sunday, 6 April 2008, 08:55 AM

Hi TG/Dagny! I am new to the site. Please help me understand- in the following question- why D is not correct as an answer.

Q. A patient accusing a doctor of malpractice will find it difficult to prove damage if there is a lack of some other doctor to testify about proper medical procedures.

(A) if there is a lack of some other doctor to testify

(B) unless there will be another doctor to testify

(C) without another doctor’s testimony

(D) should there be no testimony from some other doctor 

(E) lacking another doctor to testify

P.S.- i understand that C is also correct, but why not D?

Re: Tricky SC
by Dagny Taggart - Sunday, 6 April 2008, 01:14 PM
  Hi D,

Option D is wrong because of its wordiness.

Dagny
by d singh - Monday, 7 April 2008, 05:27 PM
  Thanx Dagny. I COULD get that too. But wouldn't this qualify as a question with "bad" options, since there's absolutely "NOTHING" wrong with option D(apart from the fact that with our frame of reference we find "D" only relatively wordy?) ?
by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 7 April 2008, 08:41 PM

Hi D,

I think this should help you get the answer yourself.

Choose the correct option.

1)

A) There was civil unrest, which contributed to the instability of the nation’s economy, along with no clear monetary policy.

B) Civil unrest, along with the absence of a clear monetary policy, contributed to the instability of the nation’s economy.

2) . Greatly influenced by the Protested missionary Samuel Kirkland, the Oneida were the only ones out of the five nations of Iroquois League in siding with the colonists during the American Revolution.

A) were the only ones out of the five nations of Iroquois League in siding
B) only of the five-nation Iroquois League had sided

Dagny

by Nitin Jain - Tuesday, 8 April 2008, 05:45 PM

Hi D

In GMAT land even if two options seem close and are correct, always prefer the option which is more clear,short and concise. This is what GMAt recommends. Here in the original question the option that u opinted out is a bit wordy. So that's the only reason to leave that option out!!!!

Hope that helps

by jaspreet singh - Wednesday, 21 January 2009, 11:38 AM
  The answer should  be A as APPLYING the gmat rule when conditional statement it is better to use if and will
manhattan sc     

by himanshu bhutani - Monday, 5 July 2010, 06:57 PM

No , it is not idiomatic .. testify "about" makes no sense..

Please correct me if m wrong..

Thanks,

Himanshu