Now the hungry lion roars,
And the wolf behowls the moon;
Whilst the heavy ploughman snores,
All with weary task fordone,
Now the wasted brands do glow,

Whilst the screeching-owl, screeching loud,

Puts the wretch that lies in woe,

In remembrance of the shroud.

Now it is the time of night  - A Midsummer Night's Dream-William Shakespeare             

Its 12:02 a.m. of the 17th Day of May 2007 and I'm sitting in my room, listening to the song "Starry-starry night" by Don McLean and wondering why verbs and subjects disagree… It's raining outside and the sound of the drizzle and the smell of the earth is mesmerizing me. The blank screen of my notebook is enticing me to pen down a few nothings….

All you paramours of language, today, in this beautiful night, I am going to make verbs agree with their subjects. Here are my proposals for the marital peace of subjects and their verbs.

Main Proposal: Let plural subjects take plural verbs and singular subjects roam about with singular verbs.

Proposal 1:- When two or more nouns are present, ask the verb to agree with its proper subject instead of the noun near it.
The quality of language in British books is outstanding.
All the books on the rack are the law books.

Proposal 2:- Some nouns are plural by nature and like to be with plural verbs. Following are the names of these famous nouns-
Savings, thanks, surroundings, riches, goods, outskirts, belongings, particulars, premises, clothes, earnings, congratulations, people, police and staff.

cat 2007 2008 subject verb agreement mba  

Proposal 3:- When the verb is holding hands with two or more subjects and wearing either…or or neither…nor, use a singular verb if the last subject is singular and a plural verb if the last subject is plural.
Neither Levin nor Kitty wants to live in a city.
Either John Galt or his representatives are to stop the motor of the world.
Either nurses or the doctor is responsible for the wrong operation.

Proposal 4:- When two bachelor (singular) subjects are joined by spinster "and", they form a pair (plural)
Dolly and Oblonsky were the first one to arrive.
Bob and Roger are playing a guitar.

Proposal 5:- Listen to what nouns suggest, if they suggest one idea to the mind, or refer to same person or thing, then the verb would rather stay single.
Bread and butter is kept in the refrigerator.
Time and tide waits for none.

Proposal 6:- Be cautious with the following-
Everyone, no one, anybody, somebody, everything, each and every, each of, neither of, the majority of, all of, some of and uncountable nouns.
All of food is stolen.
Knock! Knock! Is anybody there?

Proposal 7:-  Economics, civics, statistics, news, mathematics, wages, linguistics, phonetics, politics etc are plural in form but singular in meaning and take a singular verb.
Mathematics is TG's passion.
Politics is the major part of the corporate world.

Proposal 8:-  When there is a group of nouns (Collective nouns), a singular verb should be brought into action. When the individuals of this group are addressed, we would like to use plural verbs.
The crowd is maddening.
The population of
Japan is on its life time low this year.

Proposal 9:-  When noun denotes some specific quantity or amount considered as a whole, we should agree on a singular verb.
One-fourth of the work is completed by William.
The five thousand yen that he gave me was spent in a single day.

Proposal 10:-  There are outsiders (words and phrases)  besides 'and' that attach themselves to the subject and make it look plural but the subject still stays the same. These are the famous intruders  -as well as, accompanied by, including, along with, in addition to and together with. So verbs, be careful!
Leonidas, along with his 300 Spartans, is going to fight against the Persian army.
Books, as well as music, are my passion.

Proposal 11:-  When the subject is commanding, ordering, or suggesting  "you", the person being directed by the subject has to disappear. (Subject expects itself to be understood)
(You) Listen to the sound of the music!
(You) Suggest a plan for the month.

Proposal 12:-  Both subject and verb give special preference to "None". None can be treated as both singular and plural until someone else in the crowd doesn't recognise its number.
None of the men are ready for the war,
None of the men is ready for the war.
None of the dancers have given their best. (Here you can't use singular because the word "their" precludes the use of the singular verb.)

Proposal 13:-  Sometimes nouns are playing tricks with you. They can beguile you into thinking they are plural when they are not. Nouns such as pants, pliers, glasses and scissors are regarded as plural (and prefer being with plural verbs) unless they're preceded  by the phrase pair of, so be careful!
The scissors are lying on the table.
A pair of scissors is lying on the table.

Proposal 14:- If the sentence is giving both positive and negative vibes, the verb will respond only to the subject giving positive vibes..
It is not Cynthia but her sisters who are married.

It was the subject of the movie, not the actors, that has charmed the audience.

Now after being proposed in fourteen different ways, the verbs will find it difficult not to agree with their subjects.

Its 4o clock in the morning and the cuckoo bird on the tree beside my window has started singing. It's still drizzling outside silently, reminding me of a song…

Sometimes I need some time...on my own
Sometimes I need some time...all alone
Everybody needs some time...on their own
Don't you know you need some time...all alone
……………
'Cause nothing' lasts forever
Even cold November rain

So here I, with puffy eyes and fatigued body, end my article. *Yawn* Goodnight or Good Morning, whichever it is.

cat 2007 2008 mba subject verb agreement verbal

Books To Refer:

Advanced Grammar in Use With CD ROM

Grammar and Context

Understanding and Using English Grammar

English Grammar In Use

Share or Tweet This!

Bookmark and Share
You Might Also Like:

CAT CBT Club: TotalGadha's Exclusive Membership Section
TathaGat: TotalGadha's CAT Classroom Coaching
CAT Quant Lessons: Quant Lessons for MBA Preparation
CAT Verbal Lessons: Verbal Lessons for MBA Preparation
CAT Quant/DI Forum: Ask doubts related to Quant & DI
CAT Verbal Forum: Ask doubts related to Verbal
Re: Subject- Verb Agreement
by Nitya S - Friday, 18 May 2007, 04:18 PM

Thanks Dagny,

beautiful aritcle. Could you help us with some sentences to be corrected on subject verb agreement.

regards,

Nitya.

by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 18 May 2007, 05:21 PM
  Hi Nitya!

Thankssmile Let me work on that as well. btw the catty looks cutesmile

Dagny

by Nitya S - Friday, 18 May 2007, 05:50 PM

Thank you!

You have still not gone to sleep?

by sharique khan - Friday, 18 May 2007, 05:59 PM

Really a good article. Fun to read and lot to extract from it.

I am only two days old in TG and have become a huge fan b'cause of  the quality of material available here.

by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 18 May 2007, 06:01 PM
  Nitya,

Finished the article yesterday morning and was sleeping  and watching movies the entire day . Btw you didn't notice but you were handling doubts in my place thensmile

Dagny

by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 18 May 2007, 06:05 PM
  Welcome to the 'Gadha Family' Sharique smile

Dagny
by KayBee Aar - Friday, 18 May 2007, 09:57 PM

Wonderful article. The way its written will help in keeping it memory for a longer time...

Loads-a-thanks

Kiran

by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 18 May 2007, 10:59 PM
  Thanks Kiran smile
by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 19 May 2007, 12:05 AM
  I have sorted out some sentences on subject verb agreement from sentence correction file. There cannot be a better practise than solving these questions.You have 24 hours to solve them. Post your answers to these questions over here.Happy solving smile

1.         Among the emotions on display in the negotiating room were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal.

(A) were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal

(B) was anger for repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal

(C) were anger over repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles to begin healing

(D) was anger about the issue, which was raised over and over, and preventing the wounds from earlier battles, still raw, to begin healing(B)

(E) were anger about the issue, which was raised repeatedly, and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles to begin to heal

2.         Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its poison.

(A) brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its

(B) brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds and pose the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to their

(C) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, it causes chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to their

(D) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, it causes chronic flesh wounds and poses the greatest danger to infants and the elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its(D)

(E) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its

3.         After this year’s record-shattering January performance in Madison Square Garden, the ensemble were touted as the country’s best new group in decades; no critic or reviewer had anything but praise for the young musicians.

(A) the ensemble were touted as the country’s

(B) the ensemble was touted as the country’s

(C) the country touted the ensemble like the

(D) touting the ensemble as the country’s(B)

(E) they were touting the ensemble as the country’s

4.         A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and mob cars at the stoplights.

(A) A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and

(B) Visible at Managua’s major intersections are waves of vendors and beggars with many children, new phenomena that

(C) A new phenomenon visible at Managua’s major intersections is waves of vendors and beggars, many of them children, who

(D) Phenomenally new waves of vendors, beggars, and many children are visible at Managua’s major intersections, which(C)

(E) A wave of vendors and beggars, many of whom are children, are visible at Managua’s major intersections, where they are a new phenomenon and

5.         A Labor Department study states that the numbers of women employed outside the home grew by more than a thirty-five percent increase in the past decade and accounted for more than sixty-two percent of the total growth in the civilian work force.

(A) numbers of women employed outside the home grew by more than a thirty-five percent increase

(B) numbers of women employed outside the home grew more than thirty-five percent

(C) numbers of women employed outside the home were raised by more than thirty-five percent

(D) number of women employed outside the home increased by more than thirty-five percent(D)

(E) number of women employed outside the home was raised by more than a thirty-five percent increase

6.         Because paper of all kinds is the biggest single component of municipal trash, many municipalities have tried recycling to reduce the cost of trash disposal.

(A) Because paper of all kinds is the biggest single component of municipal trash, many municipalities have tried recycling to reduce the cost of trash disposal.

(B) Because paper of all kinds is the biggest single component in municipal trash, many municipalities tried to recycle so that the cost of trash disposal is reduced.

(C) Because paper of all kinds are the biggest single components in municipal trash, many municipalities have tried to recycle to reduce the cost of trash disposal.

(D) All kinds of paper are the biggest single components of municipal trash, and so many municipalities have tried recycling to reduce the cost of trash disposal.(A)

(E) All kinds of paper is the biggest single component of municipal trash, so many municipalities have tried to recycle so that the cost of trash disposal could be reduced.

7.         Chinese, the most ancient of living writing systems, consists of tens of thousands of ideographic characters, each character a miniature calligraphic composition inside its own square frame.

(A) each character a miniature calligraphic composition inside its

(B) all the characters a miniature calligraphic composition inside their

(C) all the characters a miniature calligraphic composition inside its

(D) every character a miniature calligraphic composition inside their(A)

(E) each character a miniature calligraphic composition inside their

8.         Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.

(A) paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have

(B) paid in occupations that are predominantly make over those that are predominantly female have

(C) that favors predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female have

(D) that favors predominantly male occupations over those that are predominantly female has(E)

(E) paid in predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female has

9.         Displays of the aurora borealis, or “northern lights,” can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induce electric currents that can cause blackouts in some areas and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

(A) to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induce

(B) that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected, induce

(C) that it affects the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induces

(D) that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces(E)

(E) to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles and induce

10.     Dr. Sayre’s lecture recounted several little-known episodes in the relations between nations that illustrates what is wrong with alliances and treaties that do not have popular support.

(A) relations between nations that illustrates

(B) relation of one nation with another that illustrates

(C) relations between nations that illustrate

(D) relation of one nation with another and illustrate)
               (E) relations of nations that illustrates

subject verb agreement cat 2007 2008 verbal mba

by Bharath B - Saturday, 19 May 2007, 03:41 AM

b,d,b,c,d,b(not usuremixed),a,e,e,c

Eagerly waiting for the answers....and hoping that only few are wrongthoughtful

by Tempo # 911 - Saturday, 19 May 2007, 04:34 AM

My replies are as under :

1. b 

2. c

3. b

4. c

5. d

6. b

7. a

8. c

9. e  and

10. b

Waiting for the correct answers.black eye

Regards

Temperamental

by maya g - Saturday, 19 May 2007, 06:06 AM

Hi Dagny,

answers are:

1. b

2. d

3. b

4. e

5. d

6. c

7. a

8. d

9. d

10. d

by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 19 May 2007, 08:42 AM
  smilesmile Good Morning and Good Going Bharath,  Tempo and Maya. I would still want to wait 4 some more people to attempt the questions. Let me know if you want more questions to be posted.

Dagny
by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 19 May 2007, 08:59 AM
  Bharath,

This one is for you.Enjoy smile

cat 2007 2008 subject verb agreement verbal

Dagny

by KayBee Aar - Saturday, 19 May 2007, 10:21 AM

1. d

2. d

3. b

4. e

5. d

6. a

7. a

8. d

9. e

10. c

Hope at leat one is correct...big grin

KayBee(Kiran)

by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 19 May 2007, 10:50 AM

big grinbig grin Don’t worry Kay Bee. 
by Nitya S - Saturday, 19 May 2007, 11:53 PM

Hi Dagny,

Thanks for waiting for us.

Here is my set of replies.

1) c
2) b
3) b
4) c
5) d
6) a
7) a
8) b
9) e
10) b

thanks,

Nitya.

by Tempo # 911 - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 01:40 AM
  24 hours are over.thoughtful
by Deep Thinker Gadha - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 03:46 AM
  Sorry, Dagny it's too late and thanx for waiting.

My answers are :
1-a
2-d
3-b
4-c
5-d
6-a
7-a
8-d
9-e
10-b

Thanx!

-Sandeep
by maya g - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 05:26 AM

sto aspettando le risposte!( i m waiting 4 the answers)

Riguardi,

Maya.

by Dagny Taggart - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 10:31 AM

Here are my answers to the much awaited questions:-

1)      B for Brusque
2)      D for Decant
3)      B for Burlesque
4)      C for Complacent
5)      D for Descant
6)      A for Amiable  
7)      A for Amicable
8)      E for Esoteric
9)      E for Exoteric
10)  B for Bedraggled

I want you all to find out the meanings of the words and frame some sentences.
Post  your answers here. Okay! Now I am taking care of your vocabulary as well!smile

Buona Fortunasmile

Dagnysmile
by Deep Thinker Gadha - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 12:51 PM
  Hi Dagny,

That Dudhwala - Milkha singhevil makeing me so dumbsleepy that i lost here 2 markssad .

I like your article especially the way of representing the concept is really heart touching. Have you fall in XXXX big grin since all those expressions and actions are of the essence.........

Looking forward for similar articles and tests/assignments regularly ( ..I'm too lazy to collect all the CAT stuff then analyze and then study..,I want this  http://totalgadha.com only way to do eveyting and do whatever you said (regarding prep.....big grinsmile) and give up all my worry and planning headache forever.
So, Now it's your responsibility to maintain good balance of all the three sections. Can you do this favour for me? (...I'm expecting too much shy naa...If so sorrydead )

See you soon.....

- Sandeep
by Dagny Taggart - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 02:05 PM

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks and that’s not too much to ask for. Its okay! Chilax!cool

See you soon with the meanings and the sentences of the words that I have posted. And I want the answer for the Milkha Singh question as well.smile

Dagny
by KayBee Aar - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 10:05 PM

BRUSQUE- Saying something with very few words but in a rude tone.

Usage: The policeman enquired about the missing boy in a brusque tone.

DECANT- To pour liquid from one container to another.

Usage: He asked the waiter to decant the drink into his mug.

BURLESQUE- Give an imitation that ridicules;parody

Usage: The incident was burlesqued by the media.

COMPLACENT- Too much at ease(negative);disinclined to worry

Usage: The government is complacent towards the increasing threat of the LTTE to Indian coatal areas.

DESCANT-a melody played or harmony sung above the main tune.

Usage:He used to descant critically on the dishes which had been at table.

AMIABLE-Friendly and agreeable in disposition; good-natured and likable.

Usage: It is easy to be amiable on the midst of happiness and success.

AMICABLE-done or achieved in a friendly manner without argument.

Usage:When opposing sides are "amiable" (trying to be accommodating), they often quickly reach an "amicable" (suitable to both) agreement.

ESOTERIC-intended for or understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge

Usage:His esoteric ideas sometimes alienated him from others.

EXOTERIC-Suitable for the general public.

Usage:The "esoteric" (understood by only a chosen few) poetry of today may be "exoteric" (simple; commonplace) in twenty years.

BEDRAGGLED-Soiled by or as if by having been dragged through mud;Being in a condition of deterioration; dilapidated

Usage:He was thoroughly drenched amd bedraggled because of the unexpected rainfall. 

Thanks

KayBee(Kiran)

by Total Gadha - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 10:17 PM
  Awesome KayBee! Well done smile
by Dagny Taggart - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 10:30 PM
  Greatttttttttt KayBee!!!   smilebig grinbig grin

Dagny

by KayBee Aar - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 10:30 PM

Thank You..Infact that was a good initiative ....we can discuss 10 good words every day...this ll help us in building up a good vocabulary .

Wat is important is the usage of words..there are words whose literal meaning is completely different from its contextual usage....a good example being DESCANT... We can have an altogether different section where we pick the daily words and come back with their meanings and usage.

KayBee.

Therz no substitute to hard work.

by Bharath B - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 10:48 PM

WOW!

great pic...Thanks Dagny.smile

Bharath.

by Tempo # 911 - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 10:54 PM

Cool Dagny and Kay Bee...cool

Good selection of words there by Dagny and equally good responses by Kay Bee.

Looking forward to learn more from the Pundits at TG.com.smile

Regards

Temperamental

by Chirag Taneja - Sunday, 20 May 2007, 11:55 PM
  Hey TGites,

Its a great initiative by Dagny and i think we should not stop our learning curve here and must take this forward from here.

Since now Dagny has posted the correct answers lets move to the GMAT Verbal forum and try to understand why we got some of them wrong, if anysmile.

And it would be great if Dagny and others can help us with their expertise.

So i am creating a new thread on GMAT verbal forum by the name "Dagny's 10" and lets get going over there.

Thanks
by Bharath B - Monday, 21 May 2007, 12:43 AM

Hi Dagny,

Can you please explain why the answers for Q6 and Q10 are A and B.

Thanks.

by Total Gadha - Monday, 21 May 2007, 05:44 AM
  Hi Bharath and everyone,

Let's move this discussion to Chirag's thread "Dagny's 10" in "GMAT Verbal Forum".
Total Gadha
by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 21 May 2007, 08:47 AM

Hi Kay Bee,

Thanks for the suggestion. Will keep that in mindsmile

Dagny
by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 21 May 2007, 08:50 AM

Hey Tempo,

Everything fine smilebut where are your sentences? evil

Dagny

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 21 May 2007, 08:52 AM

Thanks a lot and great going Chirag ! smile

Dagny
by Tempo # 911 - Monday, 21 May 2007, 11:42 AM

Ok Dagny, here is my attempt in making 'meaningful' sentences. smile

BRUSQUE

The girl at the sales counter talked to me in a brusque manner when I enquired about her marital status.

DECANT

Decantation is a fundamental physical principle finding its industrial application in day to day life.

BURLESQUE

I chuckled after seeing burlesque images of some of the great politicians in the newspaper.

COMPLACENT

I don't like to sit complacent with my present job; instead I wish to explore more avenues further.

DESCANT

I danced to the mellifluous tunes of the descant music played inside my room.

AMIABLE

Girls are rarely amiable with the guys who are strangers.

AMICABLE

I tried to end their quarrel amicably, but they didn't budge even an inch from their stands.

ESOTERIC

The esoteric nature of women hasn't been understood even by the greatest philosophers.

EXOTERIC

The ubiquitous parks spread all over the locality can't simply be classisfied as exoteric, as they also serve a great purpose of keeping our environment clean.

BEDRAGGLED

I got thoroughly bedraggled after being caught in the heavy rainfall on the highway. 

Regards

Temperamental

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 21 May 2007, 12:20 PM

Hi Tempo,

Good!

·        I like the sentence that you have made for’ brusque’.big grin

·        You have to make a sentence for the word ‘decant’ not decantation.

·        Wonderful sentence for ‘esoteric’.smile

·        And check out the sentence for ‘exoteric’ in Kaybee’s post. Wonderful!

Dagny

by Tempo # 911 - Monday, 21 May 2007, 12:58 PM

Thank you Dagny.approve

A little doubt...

Isn't 'decantation' the noun of 'decant' ?thoughtful

And yeah, Kay Bee was awesome.smile

Regards

Temperamental

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 21 May 2007, 01:51 PM

You are absolutely right Signore!! Decantation is the noun form for ‘decant’smile

Dagny

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 21 May 2007, 07:26 PM

Hi All,

I have started a vocabulary thread in CAT Verbal Forum. I will be posting 10 words every hence and forth over there. Please do the exercises regularly. I want all of you to possess a good vocabulary when you go for your interviews and GD PIs. After all, you belong to the ‘Gadha Family’.winksmile

Dagny

by karishma teckchandani - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 01:22 PM
  hi dagny,
i would like to know the explanation as to the sentence correction quiz...where can i find the solutions???
i have some disagreements...so just wanted to check the solutions
thanks
karishma
by Dagny Taggart - Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 02:02 PM
  Hi Karishma,

There is a submit button on the left hand side of every question in the 'quiz section' itself. You can check your answers one by one or towards the end of the page there is a 'submit all' button where you can check your answers in one go. Regarding the discussion, many students discuss their sentence correction questions  in 'GMAT Verbal Forum'. You start posting your problems there and we will take care of them 
smile

Dagny
by xander kage - Saturday, 2 June 2007, 12:11 AM

excellent thread...

3 cheers to TG for throwing light on such imp points

by Dagny Taggart - Saturday, 2 June 2007, 12:20 AM
  Thanks Xander and welcome to the 'Gadha Family'.smile

Dagny
by Amishe 800 - Saturday, 7 July 2007, 06:37 AM

Hi Dangy ,

Thanks for a nice presentation on S-v agreement. question selection was awesome.

It will be great if someone can explain the answers to question 8.

To be very straight ..why option D is not correct.

(D) that favors predominantly male occupations over those that are predominantly female has.

In option E ..it looks like sentence  is comparing male occupations to Female .

Please clarify ....

by Ashwini Malavalli - Tuesday, 10 July 2007, 07:34 PM

Hi Dagny,

Here are the answers...

1. b

2. d

3. b

4. d

5. d

6. b

7. a

8. e

9. e

10. c

Waiting for your answers

Regards,

Ashwini

by Hrishikesh Mishra - Wednesday, 18 July 2007, 04:35 PM

Hi Dagny,

A good article indeed..Beneficial too..I ahve a doubt , please clearify it...

In Proposal 5:- Listen to what nouns suggest, if they suggest one idea to the mind, or refer to same person or thing, then the verb would rather stay single....

U have given the exampkle - "Bread and Butter is kept in the refrigerator"..they are different things altogether...neither they are under "single idea" group...so shud it be "Bread and Butter are kept in the refrigerator"...Please clearify this point.

Re: Subject- Verb Agreement-Some doubts!!!
by Hrishikesh Mishra - Sunday, 22 July 2007, 05:17 PM
  Hi Dagny,
Its related to the "Subject-Verb Agreement " article posted on TG verbal lesson and also some more doubts.

Doubt 1:

In proposal 9 u have mentioned "Proposal 9:-  When noun denotes some specific quantity or amount considered as a whole, we should agree on a singular verb."...in one of teh examples u have given "The five thousand yen that he gave me was spent in a single day"..Shouldnt it be "Five thousand yen that he gave were spent in..."..as its a plural amount....Like as in 1 rupee was spent that day itself....and 5rupees were spent in takign that article.....Or if you want to say that how the wrod sounds...since it is "YEN"...so we use "was"...had it been "YENS"..we would have used "were"..like in case of Rupees..it sounds plural so we use "were"...and inc ase of Rupee we use "was"...

Doubt 2:

Please expolain the difference int eh usage of "SOmeone" and "Somebody":...when to use wat...similarly for "Anyone" and "Anybody"...Noone and noboody etc etc. i am totally confused about its usage.

Doubt 3:

Out of the following sentences which is correct??

a) I, along with Sumit and Manish, am going to Kolkata.
b) I,along with Sumit and Manish, are going to Kolkata.

I am eagerly waiting for the reply...As the these doubts had always been with me for quite a long time but nobody could tell it clearly.
by Hari Menon - Monday, 30 July 2007, 05:03 PM
  Thank you!
by Software Engineer - Thursday, 2 August 2007, 05:42 PM
  @ BOSS
last night, i came across an article, the topic was
SPELLING OF -ING AND -ED FORMS

END OF VERB

DOUBLE THE CONSONANTS?

SIMPLE

FORM   -ING -ED

One Vowel +

One

Consonant

YES

ONE-SYLLABLE VERBS

stop
stopping stopped

plan planning planned

If the verb has one syllable and ends in one vowel + one consonant, double the consonant to make the -ing or -ed form.

NO

TWO-SYLLABLE VERBS

visit visiting visited

offer offering offered

If the first syllable of a two syllable verb is stressed, do not double the consonant.

YES

prefer preferring preferred

admit admitting admitted

If the second syllable of a two-syllable verb is stressed, double the consonant.

???  sad

bty, congr8s, u made fifty
by Amardeep Singh - Friday, 3 August 2007, 01:34 AM

hello ma'm

I read the following in my coaching institute's studey material...pls clear my confusion...

"When one of the subects joined by or or nor is plural,the verb must be plural and the plural subject should be placed nearest to the verb"

Do we have to follow the above rule always or shud we stick to the rule: the verb will take the form according to the subject near the verb.?

Regards

AMAR

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 6 August 2007, 01:53 PM
  Hi Amardeep,

Stick to the rule: the verb will take the form according to the subject near the verb.

Dagny
by Debajyoti Bhattacharyya - Sunday, 12 August 2007, 02:38 AM
  Hi Dagny,
I have a doubt.
In answer to the 10th problem.

why is the verb "illustrates", and why not "illustrate"?
I mean does illustrates go with " Dr. sayre's lecture " or with " the several little episodes"or with "what is wrong".

refer:-

10.     Dr. Sayre’s lecture recounted several little-known episodes in the relations between nations that illustrates what is wrong with alliances and treaties that do not have popular support.

(B) relation of one nation with another that illustrates

(C) relations between nations that illustrate

(D) relation of one nation with another and illustrate)
               (E) relations of nations that illustrates
Ans. Option B

Many thanks for this article and all others.
Please give an article on usage of prepositions. Thank you.

by total senti - Wednesday, 29 August 2007, 12:10 PM

When one dreams , one is usually asleep

When one dreams , he is  usually asleep .

which one is correct?

by total senti - Wednesday, 29 August 2007, 12:47 PM

in proposal 7 u have given that 'wages' should be considered as singular in use...

'wages are low' / "wages is low"...

but first sentence seems to be correct one ......... is it second that shd be correct?

by total senti - Wednesday, 29 August 2007, 04:59 PM
  .         Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.

(A) paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have

(B) paid in occupations that are predominantly male over those that are predominantly female have

(C) that favors predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female have

(D) that favors predominantly male occupations over those that are predominantly female has(E)

Hi Tg, why cant the option B be answer????.........too confused.... mixed

by gagan kasliwal - Saturday, 6 October 2007, 08:23 PM

my ans r

1 E

2 C

3 B

4 C

5 D

6 A

7 A

8 D

9 E

10 B

hope i clear the cut offssss  by the way plzz tell the right answers......

by Dagny Taggart - Monday, 8 October 2007, 02:55 AM
  The answers have already been posted.

Dagny
by Shailesh Singh - Monday, 15 October 2007, 06:12 PM
  care to elaborate on the answers to questions 8 and 10?
plz.sad
by Ankit Srivastava - Thursday, 25 October 2007, 06:25 PM

Hi Dagny

i had a doubt regarding the Proposal 5: Is "Time and Tide wait for none." wrong ??

Ankit

by Himanshu Jaggi - Wednesday, 12 March 2008, 09:10 AM

Hi Dagny,

Must congratulate you and TG guys for creating this blog and posting such knowlegeable sessions...! I hv just started preparin for 08 and really getting a lot of helpp from this blog...I am making daily vissits here and have decided to post my ansers also. I know repliess has been posted already but I am taking another approach which you have suggested already(not sure whr you have suggested that). The appproach which I am going to take is to find the reason/rule, why the particular option is correct/incorrect.

Based on the above theory I am going to post you my replies and if you got tym from your schedule, I request you to please have a look on ma replies and lett me know whether I have used the correct rule or not..Hope you'll do the needful...

Again my intention is not to find the correct answr but to apply the rule on options...!

Here I gooo….

1. Among the emotions on display in the negotiating room were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal.

(A) were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal –split 2/3 rule used

(B) was anger for repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal –" among the emotions " – singular verb should be used as collective noun has been used.

(C) were anger over repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles to begin healing – were cnt be used as mentioned above

(D) was anger about the issue, which was raised over and over, and preventing the wounds from earlier battles, still raw, to begin healing – raised is bringing up a child; word usage is wrong

(E) were anger about the issue, which was raised repeatedly, and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles to begin to heal – were is not be used

2. Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its poison.

(A) brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its--- 2/3 rule

(B) brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds and pose the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to their—subject is brown recluse spiders which is collective in nature so singular verb to be used and so as singular pronoun…there is not singular

(C) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, it causes chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to their-- subject is brown recluse spiders which is collective in nature so singular verb to be used and so as singular pronoun…there is not singular

(D) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, it causes chronic flesh wounds and poses the greatest danger to infants and the elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its

(E) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its—again they cant be used with pronoun "its"

Hence D

3. After this year’s record-shattering January performance in Madison Square Garden, the ensemble were touted as the country’s best new group in decades; no critic or reviewer had anything but praise for the young musicians.

(A) the ensemble were touted as the country’s – 2/3

(B) the ensemble was touted as the country’s –in statement ensemble is a group so singular verb is to be used—it seems correct

(C) the country touted the ensemble like the –like is not the correct usage

(D) touting the ensemble as the country’s—touting is in present tense, and had is in past. Tense redundancy

(E) they were touting the ensemble as the country’s—pronoun should refer to an antecedent which is not present.

4. A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and mob cars at the stoplights.

(A) A new phenomena, which is visible at Managua’s major intersections, are waves of vendors and beggars, which include many children and –2/3

(B) Visible at Managua’s major intersections are waves of vendors and beggars with many children, new phenomena that –not correct sentence formation, also pronoun which(should refer to persons) got clicked into my mind and then started looking into other options

(C) A new phenomenon visible at Managua’s major intersections is waves of vendors and beggars, many of them children, who---Pheneomenon subject should have a singular verb

(D) Phenomenally new waves of vendors, beggars, and many children are visible at Managua’s major intersections, which— not correct sentence formation, should start with "phenomenon"

(E) A wave of vendors and beggars, many of whom are children, are visible at Managua’s major intersections, where they are a new phenomenon and-- not correct sentence formation, should start with "phenomenon"

5. A Labor Department study states that the numbers of women employed outside the home grew by more than a thirty-five percent increase in the past decade and accounted for more than sixty-two percent of the total growth in the civilian work force.

(A) numbers of women employed outside the home grew by more than a thirty-five percent increase—2/3

(B) numbers of women employed outside the home grew more than thirty-five percent—the first thing that came into my mind is data redundancu of word grew and increase. Both have same meaning so sentence should not contain both the options

(C) numbers of women employed outside the home were raised by more than thirty-five percent—raised is bringing up

(D) number of women employed outside the home increased by more than thirty-five percent—looks correct

(E) number of women employed outside the home was raised by more than a thirty-five percent increase—same reason as in option c

6. Because paper of all kinds is the biggest single component of municipal trash, many municipalities have tried recycling to reduce the cost of trash disposal.

(A) Because paper of all kinds is the biggest single component of municipal trash, many municipalities have tried recycling to reduce the cost of trash disposal.

(B) Because paper of all kinds is the biggest single component in municipal trash, many municipalities tried to recycle so that the cost of trash disposal is reduced. –look at word so that the making sentence redundant

(C) Because paper of all kinds are the biggest single components in municipal trash, many municipalities have tried to recycle to reduce the cost of trash disposal.- paper of all kinds is singular so singular verb is to be used

(D) All kinds of paper are the biggest single components of municipal trash, and so many municipalities have tried recycling to reduce the cost of trash disposal.—Statement may giving reason to the paragraph that’s why Because word has been used so sentence should have the word "Because"

(E) All kinds of paper is the biggest single component of municipal trash, so many municipalities have tried to recycle so that the cost of trash disposal could be reduced.-- Statement may giving reason to the paragraph that’s why Because word has been used so sentence should have the word "Because"

Hence A

7. Chinese, the most ancient of living writing systems, consists of tens of thousands of ideographic characters, each character a miniature calligraphic composition inside its own square frame.

(A) each character a miniature calligraphic composition inside its--

This Example is given in Chapter Pronoun , refer that. By the way my explanation is subject is Chinese so singular verb should be there.

(B) all the characters a miniature calligraphic composition inside their

(C) all the characters a miniature calligraphic composition inside its-- Pronoun should refer to its antecedent rule applied

(D) every character a miniature calligraphic composition inside their—Pronoun should refer to its antecedent rule applied

(E) each character a miniature calligraphic composition inside their-- Pronoun should refer to its antecedent rule applied

8. Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.

-- using 2/3 split rule--leaving this option

(B) paid in occupations that are predominantly make over those that are predominantly female have -- make over is something I feel awkward

(C) that favors predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female have -- Favours is beyound the scope, cnt extract the info from passage

(D) that favors predominantly male occupations over those that are predominantly female has---- Favours is beyound the scope, cnt extract the info from passage

(E) paid in predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female has ---- This option giving the same idea as stated.

9. Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights," can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induce electric currents that can cause blackouts in some areas and corrosion in north-south pipelines.

(A) to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induce --

(B) that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected, induce—verb are is making the sentence definite wheras above sentence looks like may or may not kind of situation

(C) that it affects the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induces --

(D) that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces—

(E) to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles and induce

10. Dr. Sayre’s lecture recounted several little-known episodes in the relations between nations that illustrates what is wrong with alliances and treaties that do not have popular support.

(B) relation of one nation with another that illustrates--Redundant

(C) relations between nations that illustrate –no opinions

(D) relation of one nation with another and illustrate)---Redundant

(E) relations of nations that illustrates – seems correct

Dagny, could you please provide me the explanation of "9" as I somehow got stuck in the options…..

CherrrssS..

Himanshu

by Dagny Taggart - Thursday, 13 March 2008, 06:39 PM

Hi Himanshu,

As of now I am providing you with the explanation for the 9th question. Will check the rest of the questions as soon as I get time.

The use of the phrasing " can heat.. enough to affect" in A and E are idiomatic. B produces an illogical and ungrammatical statement by making "induce" parallel with the verb "heat" rather than with the appropriate form of the verb affect.  C  lacks agreement in using the singular pronoun "it" to refer to the plural noun "displays".D - is faulty because "induces" cannot fit grammatically with any noun in the sentence.A - incorrectly separates the two infinitives "to affect" and "to induce" with a comma when it should compound them with "and", as does E, the best choice.

I also suggest that you download’ Dagny Taggart file to CAT and GMAT’ from ‘Download it now’ section.

Dagny

by Himanshu Jaggi - Friday, 14 March 2008, 10:05 AM

Hi Dagny,

Thanks for the explanation. I have already  downloaded the file and getting a rich knowledge from that.

Thanks for the excellent stuff  ...

Himanshu

by Himanshu Jaggi - Friday, 14 March 2008, 10:06 AM

Hi Dagny,

Thanks for the explanation. I have already  downloaded the file and getting a rich knowledge from that.

Thanks for the excellent stuff  ...

Himanshu

COMMENT
by SUYOG VIJ - Saturday, 31 May 2008, 11:18 AM

DEAR "DAGNY"

great work man

an awosome article

very useful.

- SUYOG

by RAGHURAM KOMMOJU - Friday, 6 June 2008, 01:33 AM

Hi Dangy!!

Accidentally when googled i came to know abt this site today and i am really mesmarized with the tons of content it posts!! I had given an attempt to CAT06 and was really dishearted with the result!! Did'nt cleared the vocab!!. Now i am working in an MNC but still persuing MBA is my dream. This site built a confidence in me to get lots of information which i missed all these days.Now i am starting again my CAT preparation and going for to crack the CAT 08. Thanks a lot Dangy/TG......smile

- Ragards

RAGHU

by jeevitha pothuni - Saturday, 7 June 2008, 03:00 PM

Hi Dagny!

nice to join this TG family...this is really a superb website...smile

I've a lil doubt...

In the question no 3, I feel there is a mixture of both active n passive voice (which is not allowed in d same sentence)...

Thank u.

Jeevz

by rahul g - Sunday, 8 June 2008, 11:52 PM
  Hello Dangny,

Needless to say, the article is fabulous. I have one doubt though. In proposal 7, is it possible for the noun "wages" to propose in more than one way as in "Wages of sin is death." and "His wages have gone up."?

The reference of second sentence is Collins COBUILD Dictionary. Although I could not find the same sentence on their site.

Thanks,
Rahul
by anil sharma - Saturday, 21 June 2008, 11:49 AM
  Hi Dangny,

Nice to see various ideas at mid night ......and no point in saying them only good as they are precious....
Being new to this community just trying to adjust with the tempo over here....

In Proposal 10 :
Should it be " Books as well as music is my favorite" instead using helping verb "are" over here, as "music" is near to the verb rather than "books".

Please clarify.

Thanks
Anil

by Robin uthappa - Thursday, 21 August 2008, 10:13 AM

My answers are:

B

D

B

C

A

A

E

E

E

Kindly Help with the explaination of Q-10

Best

by Sanyam Bhasin - Wednesday, 17 September 2008, 01:24 PM

Dear Dagny

I've a query. Referring question #10, please indicate why the answer choice B is preffered over A?

a) Both use correct verb illustrates in agreement with Doctor's lecture, so the difference is only between 'relations between' & 'relation of'. So why do you prefer the later?

b) Is it idiomatic to use 'relation of'?

Anticipating a quick response.

by Deepika Khandelwal - Friday, 12 December 2008, 03:24 PM

Really it is very good article
by Gautam Gogoi - Wednesday, 3 June 2009, 10:18 AM
  Hello Dagny,
I have a doubt regarding Proposal 9,

Proposal 9:-  When noun denotes some specific quantity or amount considered as a whole, we should agree on a singular verb.
One-fourth of the work is completed by William.

Here is/are the three books you wanted.
Three fourths of the pizzas have/has been eaten.

According to your proposal 9 both of the above two sentences should have singular verb but the answer says otherwise. Hope you can clear this doubt.

Thanks in Advance
by swati saxena - Thursday, 13 August 2009, 07:20 PM

c*

d

b

c

d

a

a

e

e

d*

by Netra Mehta - Wednesday, 2 September 2009, 02:18 AM
  Hi Dagny!
It wz indeed a great article..
but i hv some of the problems..
Plz help me in correcting those...

I marked (A) for 1st question..
Its written " Among the emotions" then y r v taking singular form?? Wudnt it be "were"??

In question 7th, I marked option (B)...where m i goin wrong in this??

Plz gimme the expalnation for 10th question also..

Waiting 4 ur rply soon... smile
by akshay mishra - Sunday, 7 March 2010, 09:19 PM
  hi dagny i could not understand wat u meant  by the statement
The use of the phrasing " can heat.. enough to affect" in A and E are idiomatic,in fact i
had chosen E as my answer so could you
please elaborate on this point.
THANK YOU ALL!
by Nikhil Sinha - Wednesday, 17 November 2010, 08:53 PM
  Hi Dagny Maa'm/TG Sir,

Just wanted to thank you for these timeless articles you have put on this wonderful site!

I have been doing whatever I can in the last few days left to my exam (22nd), and getting better scores everytime (8/10, 23/25 etc) at least in verbal...

Hope the trend continues... smile

Also, I want to let you and TG sir know that for the past 3 and half month or so, I am totally "into" this site ( that means I have literally kicked aside the loads of materials from other insti. and completely relied on this site for my preparation)- and with a reason- quality!

I have a special love for the language and a creative field like Advertising- I don't know how I ended up doing Engg in IT! So, am also trying for MICA this year.

The sole purpose of this long post was to let you and all the potential TGites that- TG, IS IT smile.

Going back to my studies now, take care and I wish that any MBA aspirant in future be a "Gadha" firstsmile(Not that they won't be, afterwards)

Special thanks to Kamal sir, SE, Fundoo Bond, Kumar Sir, "The Riddler",Verbal Kitten, Munira Maa'm et al for their efforts..

Ending this now as it might look like the credits for a hollywood movie !! smile

Nikhil
by Nishant Agarwal - Wednesday, 17 November 2010, 10:29 PM
  I am little bit confused with proposal 9. mixed

Isn't it correct to use it like this,

Those five thousand yen that he gave me were spent in a single day.

OR

The five thousand rupees that he gave me were spent in a single day.

by Rajasekaran Rajaram - Wednesday, 19 January 2011, 06:22 PM
  Dagny,

In proposal 2, you have mentioned plural nouns go with plural verbs. The example sentence 'Clothes Stay' is having a singular verb. (I was thinking that 'stays' is the singular form and stay is plural 'form'). Please advise.

The source i used is : http://simple.wiktionary.org/wiki/stay
by ashank dubey - Sunday, 3 April 2011, 11:56 PM
  Hi, Rajasekaran Rajaram

Plural of Stay is "stays".
Don't worry It was a typo.
by Ok . - Friday, 3 June 2011, 02:04 AM

by Total Gadha - Monday, 21 May 2007, 05:44 AM
  Hi Bharath and everyone,

Let's move this discussion to Chirag's thread "Dagny's 10" in "GMAT Verbal Forum".
Total Gadha

Dear TG, were can i find the above mentioned thread for discussion

Rgds

Okif

by dibya choudhury - Saturday, 2 July 2011, 01:16 AM
  Really thankful to you for this useful knowledge transfer.smile
by Anantha Krishnan S - Monday, 3 October 2011, 07:24 PM
  Thank you...
by dhwani bhatt - Friday, 22 June 2012, 05:41 PM
  My query is :
As per proposal 4, what is more likely of the following.

-> Fruits and vegetables is kept in a refrigerator.
-> Fruits and vegetables are kept in a refrigerator.
by arsh arora - Friday, 22 June 2012, 09:38 PM

hi dhwani,

it should be fruits and vegetables are..........according to the rule!!!

by rachit mongia - Thursday, 2 August 2012, 07:25 PM
  Will it be wrong if I say, " None of the dancer has given her best."?
by Juhi jaiswani - Wednesday, 26 September 2012, 03:41 PM
  hellow every1 I am little late in joining ths group..actually nt little bt very late... i found ths of great help..n i still find m lucky 2 gt 2 it nw.. the creature "dagny taggart" is really a master piece and i would really like 2 thank him/her. i am first timmer to ths forum..so please suggest me how 2 b active all d time..m working and ii can still maintain my presnce and participate in problm solving.. my CAT is scheduled in some days..and i badly feel tht i require strong guidance...here i could find d concepts quite easily drawn and depicted... Regards Juhi