New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
Total Gadha's CAT DI Challenge
by Total Gadha - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 11:13 AM

cat 2007 DI cat 2008 challenge xat 2008 mba 2008This is for students who have been only practicing quant or verbal on TG and not solving enough DI question. All the CAT 2007/2008 aspirants are ordered to solve these DI sets. We will keep posting similar sets every week. Solve every set completely and not just one or two questions from the sets. Good luck!

DI- 1
CAT 2004- 2 marker

Twenty one participants from four continents (Africa, Americas, Australasia, and Europe) attended a United Nations conference. Each participant was an expert in one of four fields, labour, health, population studies, and refugee relocation. The following five facts about the participants are given.
(a) The number of labour experts in the camp was exactly half the number of experts in each of the three other categories
(b)
Africa did not send any labour expert. Otherwise, every continent, including Africa, sent at least one expert for each category.
(c) None of the continents sent more than three experts in any category.
(d) If there had been one less Australasian expert, then the
Americas would have had twice as many experts as each of the other continents.
(e) Mike and Alfanso are leading experts of population studies who attended the conference. They are from
Australasia.

1. Alex, an American expert in refugee relocation, was the first keynote speaker in the conference. What can be inferred about the number of American experts in refugee relocation in the conference, excluding Alex?
i. At least one                            ii. At most two

1. Only i and not ii                      2. Only ii and not i
3. Both i and ii                           4. Neither i nor ii

2. Which of the following numbers cannot be determined from the information given?
1. Number of labour experts from the
Americas
2. Number of health experts from Europe.
3. Number of health experts from
Australasia
4. Number of experts in refugee relocation from Africa

3. Which of the following combinations is NOT possible?
1. 2 experts in population studies from the
Americas and 2 health experts from Africa attended the conference.
2. 2 experts in population studies from the
Americas and 1 health expert from Africa attended the conference.
3. 3 experts in refugee relocation from the
Americas and 1 health expert from Africa attended the conference.
Africa and America each had 1 expert in population studies attending the conference.

4. If Ramos is the lone American expert in population studies, which of the following is NOT true about the numbers of experts in the conference from the four continents?
1. There is one expert in health from
Africa.
2. There is one expert in refugee relocation from
Africa.
3. There are two experts in health from the
Americas.
4. There are three experts in refugee relocation from the
Americas.

DI- 2
CAT 2005 (2- marker)

In the table below is the listing of players, seeded from highest (#1) to lowest (#32), who are due to play in an Association of Tennis Players (ATP) tournament for women. This tournament has four knockout rounds before the final, i.e., first round, second round, quarterfinals, and semi-finals. In the first round, the highest seeded player plays the lowest seeded player (seed # 32) which is designated match No. 1 of first round; the 2nd seeded player plays the 31st seeded player which is designated match No. 2 of the first round, and so on. Thus, for instance, match No. 16 of first round is to be played between 16th seeded player and the 17th seeded player. In the second round, the winner of match No. 1 of first round plays the winner of match No. 16 of first round and is designated match No. 1 of second round. Similarly, the winner of match No. 2 of first round plays the winner of match No. 15 of first round, and is designated match No. 2 of second round. Thus, for instance, match No. 8 of the second round is to be played between the winner of match No. 8 of first round and the winner of match No. 9 of first round. The same pattern is followed for later rounds as well.

cat

1. If there are no upsets (a lower seeded player beating a higher seeded player) in the first round, and only match Nos. 6, 7, and 8 of the second round result in upsets, then who would meet Lindsay Davenport in quarter finals, in case Davenport reaches quarter finals?
1. Justine Henin              2. Nadia Petrova            3. Patty Schnyder           4. Venus Williams

2. If Elena Dementieva and Serena Williams lose in the second round, while Justine Henin and Nadia Petrova make it to the semi-finals, then who would play Maria Sharapova in the quarterfinals, in the event Sharapova reaches quarterfinals?
1. Dinara Safina             2. Justine Henin              3. Nadia Petrova            4. Patty Schnyder

3. If, in the first round, all even numbered matches (and none of the odd numbered ones) result in upsets, and there are no upsets in the second round, then who could be the lowest seeded player facing Maria Sharapova in semi-finals?
1. Anastasia Myskina      2. Flavia Pennetta           3. Nadia Petrova            4. Svetlana Kuznetsova

4.  If the top eight seeds make it to the quarterfinals, then who, amongst the players listed below, would definitely not play against Maria Sharapova in the final, in case Sharapova reaches the final?
1. Amelie Mauresmo       2. Elena Dementieva      3. Kim Clijsters 4. Lindsay Davenport

DI- 3
CAT 2006- 4 marker

Two traders, Chetan and Michael, were involved in the buying and selling of MCS shares over five trading days. At the beginning of the first day, the MCS share was priced at Rs 100, while at the end of the fifth day it was priced at Rs 110. At the end of each day, the MCS share price either went up by Rs 10, or else, it came down by Rs 10. Both Chetan and Michael took buying and selling decisions at the end of each trading day. The beginning price of MCS share on a given day was the same as the ending price of the previous day. Chetan and Michael started with the same number of shares and amount of cash, and had enough of both. Below are some additional facts about how Chetan and Michael traded over the five trading days.

·          Each day if the price went up, Chetan sold 10 shares of MCS at the closing price. On the other hand, each day if the price went down, he bought 10 shares at the closing price.

·          If on any day, the closing price was above Rs 110, then Michael sold 10 shares of MCS, while if it was below Rs 90, he bought 10 shares, all at the closing price.

1. If Chetan sold 10 shares of MCS on three consecutive days, while Michael sold 10 shares only once during the five days, what was the price of MCS at the end of day 3?
(1)Rs 90                  (2) Rs 100                     (3) Rs 110                     (4) Rs 120                     (5) Rs 130

2. If Chetan ended up with Rs 1300 more cash than Michael at the end of day 5, what was the price of MCS share at the end of day 4?
(1) Rs 90                 (2) Rs 100                     (3) Rs 110                     (4) Rs 120                     (5) Not uniquely determinable

3. If Michael ended up with 20 more shares than Chetan at the end of day 5, what was the price of the share at the end of day 3?
(1) Rs 90                 (2) Rs 100                     (3) Rs 110                     (4) Rs 120                     (5) Rs 130

4. If Michael ended up with Rs 100 less cash than Chetan at the end of day 5, what was the difference in the number of shares possessed by Michael and Chetan (at the end of day 5)?
(1) Michael had 10 less shares than Chetan.
(2) Michael had 10 more shares than Chetan.
(3) Chetan had 10 more shares than Michael,
(4) Chetan had 20 more shares than Michael.
(5) Both had the same number of shares.

5. What could have been the maximum possible increase in combined cash balance of Chetan and Michael at the end of the fifth day?
(1) Rs 3700                         (2) Rs 4000                   (3) Rs 4700                   (4) Rs 5000                   (5) Rs 6000

Re: Total Gadha's CAT DI Challenge
by Abhinav Misra - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 12:03 PM

Hey TG,

I have been visiting this site quite frequently and found it very helpful for those who don't have much access to the prep. material.

I would like to know where could we found the solution to such sets or at least answers ... I have solved the first set (DI-1) as of now and the answers are as follows:

1. Option 3

2. Option 4

3. Option 4

4. Option 3

Waiting for the solutions - Thx a tonnesmile

by Mady Ahmed - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 12:53 PM

set 1:
1)3
2)4
3)4
4)3
set2:
1)4
2)3
3)1
4)4
will workout the last one after half an hour  smile
by Neena Jha - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 12:53 PM

Hi TG,

I am a regular visitor of this site & I must say that each & every article of yours is great!!! Once again you have come up with an awesome idea of giving us DI problems to solve every weekapprove.It was indeed a problem for me as neither am I  good at solving DI sets nor could I get any comprehensive book to practice DI from.Not anymore!!!THANKS a ton ....here are my answers:

DI set 1

1-3

2-4

3-4

4-3

DI set 2

1-4

2-3

3-5

4-2

DI set 3

1-2

2-2

3-1

4-5

5-4

Thankssmile

by Mady Ahmed - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 12:55 PM
  @ Neena jha check the answer for 2nd set Q.3...der is no option 5        
by Rachna Alexander - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 01:09 PM
  TG,
DI-2:
1-4
2-3
3-4
4-3
DI-3
1-3
2-2
3-1
4-5
5-4
DI-1 yet to be done....
Witing for the soln.
Thanks
by Rachna Alexander - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 01:15 PM
  ny1 how do i do the first di set of ques............
getting lost.
thanks
by Mady Ahmed - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 01:46 PM
  Consider this point first

• The number of labour experts in the camp was exactly half the number of experts in each of the three other categories
Total number is 21 and from the above statement we can blindly say that only possibility of such distribution is 3 in labour and 6 each in rest of the 3 fields because only this combination will give a total of 21 experts

Now consider this point

• If there had been one less Australasian expert, then the Americas would have had twice as many experts as each of the other continents.
From this statement we can say that if America has 6 rest will have 3 each except Australia which will have 3+1 so 6+3+3+4 makes to 16 only but the total is 21 so America should have more experts consider if America has 8 experts rest 2 will have 4 experts each except Australia which will have 5 experts now 8+4+4+5 makes up to 21 and thats the total number of experts.

Now with the help of other points you can fill in the data and get the answers
by Abhinav Misra - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 02:06 PM

Hey guys,

All those who have dun the second set could u elaborate the procedure ... like is there any short cut or a way in which we could get all the answers in one go other than trying every question separately ?

Thx in advance ...

by Mady Ahmed - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 02:08 PM
  DI set 3

Couldnt crack full and also not sure of the below answers smile

1)3
3)5
4)4

waiting for the solns  
by Mady Ahmed - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 02:10 PM
  there is no short cut as far as I know best way is to list out all the matches after reading the set then proceeding with the questions it took approx 8 mins to solve the set that way smile    
by bad luck - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 02:11 PM

Hi tg,

1.  i) 3 ii) 4 iii) 4 iv) 3
  2.  i) 4 ii) 3 iii) 1 iv) 3
by Abhinav Misra - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 02:13 PM

Thx for the prompt reply Mady ... bt dnt u thnk if we could figure out somethng like seed and match relationship then it would be easier to solve the comp. set .... bt m nt very sure hw to go about tht.

by Rachna Alexander - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 02:24 PM
  Thanks mady....
a doubt in the 2 nd ques i find both option 3 and 4 possible..
Correct me if  am wrong but at any one time ( IN the foll order: africa,america,aus and europe):
labour will have the break up as (-,1,1,1) health will be( 2,2,1,1) ps will be (1,2,2,1) and rr will be (1,3,1,1) as the sum of the columns and rows have to be kept constant,i can interchange the columns of healt,ps and rr.
But in this case health experts in aus could be 1 or 2 and so also for rr in africa
by Rachna Alexander - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 02:19 PM
  hey abhinav,
its actually simple if u just list down the seeds as they win in round 1 round 2 quarter and semi....took me 4 min.dont have to list all the nos but frm winners of round 2 onwards...
by Abhinav Misra - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 02:30 PM

Thx Rachna ...

You hav answered my query perfectly may be this was the link i was missing .... btw regarding your doubt for question 2 in set 1 - If you see the no. of experts from Australasia they could not exceed more than 5 in total and also it has been mentioned that there are exactly two population experts and at least one expert of the 4 types which saturates the5 expert count for Australasia .... hope i'm able to clarify ur doubt smile

by Mady Ahmed - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 02:42 PM
  2. Which of the following numbers cannot be determined from the information given?
1. Number of labour experts from the
Americas
2. Number of health experts from Europe.
3. Number of health experts from
Australasia
4. Number of experts in refugee relocation from Africa

We have following details now

• since there are 3 labour experts and Africa has 0 so America,Australia and Europe should have 1 each.
  • Australia has 2 population experts and 1 labour experts the rest tow fields i.e health and refugee must be 1 each.
  • Europe has a total of 4 so in Europe each field should have 1 expert.
  • Now we have complete list of detail belonging to Labours, Australia's experts and Europe's experts which means option 1 pertaining to labour, option 2 pertaining to Europe and option 3 pertaining to Australia can be eliminated
So the answer is option 4  
by Mahendhiran Chinnappa - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 02:45 PM

My take on the first DI set...

1 - 2

2 - 4

3 -4

4 - 3

Thanks a lot tg

by Rachna Alexander - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 03:14 PM
  yup got it!!!
thanks i forgot about the 2 experts in aus criteria.......
thanks mady and abhinav
by Mady Ahmed - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 03:51 PM
  Hi TG,
waiting for the answers.   thoughtful
by Catapult!!! On the way - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 05:09 PM
  Oops ...  i m so late...

answers set 1
1- 3
2-4
3-4
4-3
set 2
1-4
2-3
3-1
4-4

set 3
1-3
2-2
3-1
4-5
5-4

smile...   tg sir plz tell the cut-off also..

by Gul Gul - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 05:43 PM
  Thanks 4 mentioning " Solve every set completely " i am sure i wud hav not done it completely if u wud have not said so......faced some problem in last set but at last did all completely. TG this kindda exercise should be given daily....thnx again 4 ur luv n support
by Catapult!!! On the way - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 06:49 PM
  Right gullz,.   ...  same heresmile

Tg sir knows us well....big grin

by King Kong - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 08:59 PM

TG Sir,

Thanks a lot for mentoring us ! Really greatful to you.

Set I

(1) 3      (2) 4       (3) 4      (4)3

Set II

(1)4       (2) 3        (3) 4      (4) 3

Set III

(1) 3      (2) 2         (3) 2      (4) 5       (5) 4

by King Kong - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 09:04 PM

Hi TG Sir,

Thanks for mentoring us. Greatful to you and your team.

Set I

1. 3

2. 4

3. 4

4. 3

Set II

1. 4

2. 3

3. 4

4. 3

Set III

1. 3

2. 2

3. 2

4. 5

5. 4 

TG... I took 40 minutes to solve all the three sets!! Is this speed OK??

by Rachna Alexander - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 10:11 PM
  TG,
Solns?????
by Total Gadha - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 10:36 PM
  Will post the solutions tomorrow. There will be more students attempting the sets tomorrow. 
by sandeep gupta - Thursday, 20 September 2007, 10:52 PM

My answers:

SET-1-  3,4,4,3

SET-2-  4,3,1,3

SET-3-  3,2,5,2,4

Thanks A lot TG sir

Sandeep

by sMILING GadhUUU - Friday, 21 September 2007, 02:41 AM

Hi TG sir,

My Answers:

Set I:1-3,2-4,3-3,4-3

Set2:1-2,2-3,3-1,4-4

Set3:1-1,2-2,3-3,4-4,5-1

Thanks.

by King Kong - Friday, 21 September 2007, 09:33 AM
  Sir.. Along with the solutions, do let us know about what shud have been the time spent for all the 3 sets and also the hit ratio.
by megha raina - Friday, 21 September 2007, 10:03 AM

hullo.im not able to crack the first question.plz send the solutions.

megha

by Neena Jha - Friday, 21 September 2007, 10:20 AM

@ Mady ahmed

Thanks buddy!! that was a silly mistaketongueout.My answer for q no.3-4( actually I ended up writing the rank of the lady in this option as the answertongueout)

by Total Gadha - Friday, 21 September 2007, 11:58 AM
  Answers:

DI- 1

1. 3
2. 4
3. 4
4. 3

DI- 2

1. 4
2. 3
3. 1
4. 3

DI- 3

1. 3
2. 2
3. 1
4. 5
5. 4

I think 15 minutes for each DI is fine.
by King Kong - Friday, 21 September 2007, 04:06 PM
  Sir.. Set 2.. 3rd Question.. some doubt there... sad Please clarify
by Neena Jha - Friday, 21 September 2007, 05:17 PM

Sir,

I have a doubt in questions 3 & 4 of DI set 2.Please help!!!

by shyam Sundar - Saturday, 22 September 2007, 06:46 AM

TG

A request

Kindly include a utility which says when a post was first inititated . Would help us in tracking better how we study

For eg , U startrted Permuattions on 20th July , something like taht

Cos we are able to see details of when the last post was delivered , but dont have any clue on when the thread was started ;

by Neophyte 2CAT - Saturday, 22 September 2007, 11:17 AM

sir,

I have a doubt in Q.No 3 Data Set 1, can u please clarify..

by lavika gupta - Saturday, 22 September 2007, 04:27 PM
  hi tg.could u please give some clues 2 get through the third set?
by Prabhu Narayanan - Saturday, 22 September 2007, 04:43 PM
  hello yaar, thanks a lot....... Its really a handsome information... i have been reading your articles for past 5 months. Its great yaar... how come u do all these...
by Jeyaram Raveendran - Wednesday, 26 September 2007, 03:18 PM
  hi can someone please tell me how to solve the third question??? thanking all in anticipation
by The aimer - Wednesday, 26 September 2007, 06:22 PM

Hello ....

I am not able to understand how the answer for DI Set 2 ...Q.No. 2 is (3) that is Nadia Petrova...

How many times ever I do I am getting the same answer...i.e., (4) Patty Schnyder.

The way I did is ..

As Elena ( Seed 6 ) and Serena ( Seed 8 ) lose in the Second round.

The Seeds which make to the Quarter Finals are : 1,2,3,4,5,7,9,11.

So Maria ( Seed 1 ) should be playing with Patty ( Seed 11) as she is the lowest seeded player in Quarter Finals.

Is'nt the information that Justine ( Seed 7 ) and Nadia ( Seed 8 ) made it to the Semifinals redundant?

I see that almost everyone who has posted their solutions has got it as Nadia!!!....This is really baffling me...where am I going wrong??..Can anyone PLEASE  POST the Approach....may be MADY or BADLUCK or Anyone for that matter...

TG: I Would be very grateful to you if you help me come out of this   confusion.

Thanks smile

by ashish tyagi - Thursday, 27 September 2007, 02:06 AM
  cool aimer cool my brother , take it easy, u r right , but just a silly mistake,

players for quarterfinals will b ......1,2,3,4,5,11,7,9
not 1,2,3,4,5,7,9,11  bcoz elena [seed 6] loose with [seed 11 player] n serena [seed 8 ] with [seed 9 player]
so write the player like match winner
for match 1st..... winner seed 1
for 2nd ................sed 2
for 6th....................seed 11
n for 7th.................seed 7
for 8th ...................seed 9

now the player r 1,2,3,4,5,11,7,9
so seed 1 player will play with seed 9 [nadia petrova]

hope now it will b clear to u.............
by new gadha - Thursday, 27 September 2007, 03:41 PM

hi TG

can u plz explain me DI-2 Ques-3. my ans is Svetlana Kuznetsova(option 4) whereas the ans given by u is option 1. i proceeded in following way

As in the first round, all even numbered matches (and none of the odd numbered ones) result in upsets, and there are no upsets in the second round, then players for 2nd round  will be 1, 31, 3, 29, 5, 27, 7, 25, 9, 23, 11, 27, 13, 19, 15, 17 and for QF will be 1, 15, 3, 13, 5, 11, 7, 9 according to the given conditions. now players for SF wil be 1, 7, 3, 5. so the lowest seeded player playin SF with Maria will be seeded 5 player.

Hope i m right.

please help me in resolving this.

Thanks

by new gadha - Thursday, 27 September 2007, 03:18 PM

hi TG

plz explain DI-3 also coz i m not getting any combination for 5 days starting with 100 and ending with 110.(eithr incrmentin or decrementing by 10).

if price be remain constant for 2 days then it can be done.

thanks for all your support. this is a really wonderful site .

by The aimer - Thursday, 27 September 2007, 03:59 PM
  Thanks a ton Ashish...GOD BLESS YOU smile
by cat cat - Friday, 28 September 2007, 12:04 AM

hello,

i have  a doubt with respect to set one.

In one of the facts about the participants ..its given that " The number of labour experts in the camp was exactly half the number of experts in each of the three other categories" .....Now if we consider this statement and for example let the number of labour experts be 'l',health be 'h',population studies be 'p' and refugee relocation be 'r' ...then as per the above mentioned statement number of labour experts l=(h+p+r)/2...or should it be l=h/2=p/2=r/2....

i am slightly confused by this statement ...i want to know which approach is correct or if there is any other way then please let me know.....

thanks in advance..

by shikha tomar - Thursday, 27 September 2007, 11:57 PM

Hi TG,

Amazing site and amazing stuff....!!!!Thanks for evthing!!!!

I did all the three sets.But I have a little doubt in DI Set 3.I did get all the answers but my approach was very random.I just made various cases and marked the ans for the option which made sense.

It would be really helpful if you can tell us little about the approach to be followed in such questions..!! 

Thank you!!!

Cheers

Shikha

by different gadha - Wednesday, 10 September 2008, 01:35 AM
  My Answer's are: D1: 1)1 2)4 3)4 4)3 D2: 1)4 2)3 3)2 4)3 D3: 1)3 2)2 3)1 4)5 5)1
by DAKSH anand - Thursday, 9 July 2009, 02:31 PM
  can anybody post the detailed soln of set3....

plz help!!!
by Anubhav Jain - Wednesday, 2 June 2010, 05:10 PM
  Can anyone please post solution to third set...??
by cat 2012 - Sunday, 18 September 2011, 05:02 PM
  Can anyone explain Set 1.

As far as I have understood,
there can be min 1 expert and max 3 in each category for each continent. Using this we get the details for all the continents/fields.

Continent   Labour   Health   Popuation    Refugee
Africa             0          3              2                3
America          1          1              1                1
Australia         1          1              2                1
Europe            1          1              1                1
Total:             3           6              6               6             =21
Accoding to this approach all my answers are coming wrong...
Is my approach wrong?

Please reply....
by Ashwani Tripathi - Friday, 7 October 2011, 01:41 AM
  Hi cat aspirant,

I think your approach is fine but you can not determine the exact numbers in health,population and refugee for America and Africa continents. There may be some other combinations. Try with those combinations as well. I think it might help you. smile