New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
Power of the subconscious mind
by Total Gadha - Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 11:22 AM

cat 2007 cat 2008 mba 2008 problem solving xat 2008I am busy writing test-taking strategies for CAT 2007, CAT2008 aspirants and I thought I should meanwhile share a small strange experience that happened to me in 2006. This particular piece was written in 2006 itself and the events described actually happened. This event left a very strong impression on me because from that day onwards I started solving most of the problems mentally and without using pen or paper.

My day had ended and I was relaxing in my office with two colleagues when one of them popped this question:

ABCD is a trapezium with AB and CD as the longer and shorter of the two parallel sides, respectively. A circle is drawn with AB as diameter such that it touches the side CD and bisects the sides AD and BC. What are the angles of the trapezium?

cat gmat

As I saw the problem, the first thing that was obvious to me, as it would be obvious to any average person, that everything was symmetrical i.e. the sides AD and BC were inclined at the same angle to AB, ABCD was an isosceles trapezium, and that the circle touched CD at its midpoint. So far so good. Now what?

My next inspiration came after a couple of pencil drawings. It looked like the figure shown below:

cat

As AB is the diameter of the circle angle AEB = 90°. E is the midpoint of AD. In triangle ABD, since E is the midpoint and BE is perpendicular to AD, triangle ABD is an isosceles triangle with AB = BD.

What next?

I could not go further than this at that moment. I left it there, deciding to visit the problem again at home in the evening.

I sat after dinner to look at the problem again. The good thing about the problem was the friendly feeling it was giving that the solution was right at the corner of my eye, and that I only had to see it in order to solve the problem. My hopes didn’t seem to be well-founded however. After several attempts, I was nowhere near to solving the problem.

My next try yielded the following result:

Let CD touch the circle at P.
Let perpendiculars dropped from P and D on AB meet AB at O and Q respectively.
Let DE = EA = x.

cat

cat

It was clear that I was lost. I was nowhere near to finding the finding the solution. I switched off the lights and went to sleep thinking about the problem.

What happened next was bizarre. In my dream, I could clearly see the problem that I was trying to solve with the whole figure right in front of my eyes. Not only that, I had taken a completely new approach to solving the problem. In my mind, I found myself drawing the figure shown below:

cat

I knew that ABD was an isosceles triangle with AB = BD. Hence AB = BD = 2r.
P and F were midpoint of DC and BC. Therefore, PF // BD in triangle
DBC.
Also, PF = BD/2 = r.
Let O be the centre of the circle. Hence, in triangle
PFO, PO = FO = PF = r.
--> angle FOP = 60° --> angle FOB = 30° [angle POA = 90°]
In --> triangle
FOB, FO = BO = r and angle FOB = 30° -->  angle OAE = 75°.

Hence, the angles of the trapezium are 75° and 105°.

I woke up with a start. I had solved the problem. But now I had a new problem to solve:

HOW DID I MANAGE TO SOLVE A PROBLEM IN MY DREAM?!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Power of the subconscious mind
by Software Engineer - Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 11:44 AM
  there are some awesome gadhas on planet.......surprise(no more words)
by yetandra Adireddy - Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 11:46 AM
  Hi TG,

Strange but true this happned to me also.I was referring one of the geometry books.for particular problem where rhombus was inside a circle and asked to find out the angles of that.I tried but I couldnt get it solved.i went to sleep thinking about.Then came a solution for me that Chords substend equal angles anywhere in the circle..

strange.. like as in "V... Vendetta"--God doesnt play with diceand they are no coincidences.there are only illusion of coincidences.

Bhavani kumar
by SS VV - Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 11:49 AM

confessions of a beautiful mind eh??  big grin

keep rocking!!

by the underdog - Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 12:55 PM
  Now we know why Einstein slept through most of his math classes in school. big grin
by Madhukar pandey - Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 02:12 PM

Excellent & impressive.

Madhukar

Re:
by shrabani das - Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 03:59 PM
  U r genius man..wish I had brains like urssmile
by Sri KLR - Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 06:49 PM

TG,

I seriously wish the frequency of your lessons is more ....smile

by abhi s. - Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 07:57 PM

when u were awake ur brain was under your control and hence you were guiding it .but when in dreams , your brain has got freewill. It had a solution for it and showed it to you when you were willing to accept it . I believe that our brain is the key to all of the mysteries of this universe and maybe it is the GOD. The real powers of brain are still unfathomed .

But i sincerely hope that i get my answers right there in exam and not in dreams .That's where the objectivity lies.

Abhinav.

by Amishe 800 - Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 10:41 PM

This is something ..most of us has observed . TG ..now going back to your lines " This event left a very strong impression on me because from that day onwards I started solving most of the problems mentally and without using pen or paper.
"

Now when are you going to tell us , how you used this power in solving the questions mentally , hope you don't go to sleep after every problem smile Just kidding smile

by ankit tulsyan - Thursday, 13 September 2007, 12:47 AM
  nice one.......
my school chemistry teacher once told us in class that the structure of benzene came to a scientist's mind when  he was dreaming of a  coiled snake. smile  ...he had  been  obsessed with the  problem  for  quite some time before that.
i  guess that's why the English language has a phrase "sleep over it"....
by Eshika Aggarwal - Thursday, 13 September 2007, 11:27 AM

it actually happens...when i was in 10th class..i did the complete ratio and proprotion chapter in my dreams itself and there was only one question that i was nt able to solve which i solved next day...

So stay tuned...to do all tough questiond in dreams if cracking CAT is in dreamssmilesmilesmile

by kumar AMRESH - Thursday, 13 September 2007, 12:28 PM

HI TG.. i could not understand how ABD is an isosceles triangle with AB = BD?

will u please help me with that....

amresh

by abhi s. - Thursday, 13 September 2007, 12:51 PM

For amaresh .

It's simple  dear . angle AEB is 90 since angle in semicircle ; and E is midpoint of AD(as per question ) then ABD has to be an isosceles triangle since only in an isosceles the median wud be perpendicular to other side .

Thanks ,

Abhinav.

by subhadeep das - Friday, 14 September 2007, 10:17 AM
  @ TG

well , I couldn't understand one thing. from your soln  , we can see that triangle PFO is an equilateral triangle, hence  <FPO = <PFO = 60 deg, thus <FPC=<PFC=30 deg. so <PCF = <ADC = 120deg

So the angles of the trapezium should come 60 and 120 deg , but by considering  triangle BOF , they are coming 75 and 105 , why this conflict , something seems wrong !!
by subhadeep das - Friday, 14 September 2007, 10:28 AM
   ok ok , got my problem , sorry , wrongly assumed that <PFC = <FPC. these silly mistakes are haunting meangry
by Totalgadha fan - Friday, 14 September 2007, 02:12 PM

Hi TG

I dont know how u ws able to solve the problem in dream, the good thing is u was able to Solve.

I have a concern..Print out of ur lessons doesnt fit into A4 size paper i did all settings still m not able to take the print properly.

CAn u Please do something about it?

Thanks

TG FAN

by ravi kumar - Friday, 14 September 2007, 03:07 PM
  Dear TG

Really impressed with the kind of forum you are managing for us. Geometry is such an amazing topic. I regularly read TG and do some exercises also in bits and pieces. I think you had already solved the problem before you went to sleep.

because you got, Sin A = DQ/AD =(1+30.5)/2*20.5 =1/2*1/20.5 +1/20.5 * 30.5/20.5 ;

=> Sin A =Sin (30 + 45) => A=75

your method is definitely better but this could also be tried.

Ravi
How to select the good School for part time executive MBA
by Binod Gupta - Friday, 14 September 2007, 04:28 PM

Hi! Eshika,

I am presently working as Officer in a Public Sector Bank for 2.5 years. I have also done diploma in electrical engeering. Now I want to pursue MBA (Correspondance ) plz guide me which institute will be suitalble for me. I am also taking CAT 2007.

Thanks

by lavika gupta - Sunday, 16 September 2007, 10:12 AM
  hi tg.ur approach was simply fab.but do u think such questions r attemptable in cat,when one has no hint bout how 2 deal with it.i think only practice of such advanced questions would help.
by shyam Sundar - Sunday, 16 September 2007, 05:38 PM

Tg

Isit posibel 2 give us a low down into the pattern of exams lik xat iift n jmet snap fms  last year .. i have been busy for the last 1 yr n lost track of the cat worls .. would b nice if any 1 has the q papers for the same althpugh i dont think these papers are given to us after the exam

Cheers

S

by kohinoor biswas - Wednesday, 21 November 2007, 12:28 PM

I hope ill start seeing the problems in my dreams too. Isnt it amazing when you finally realize your single purpose in this life... And that you have a suppoting family to boot ... who never lose the faith in you  inspite of repeated and hopeless failures? I am Kohinoor Biswas and im going to IIM - A 2009-11 batch.

PLAY BALL!!!

by Karthick Palani - Friday, 25 January 2008, 11:49 AM

hi guru,

how to 'use' my subconscious mind to my potential advantage, will i get 'cooperation' from it during 'that' 2-and-a half hour.smile

by betur shreyamsa - Wednesday, 21 May 2008, 01:11 PM
  Boss ur ultimate. hatsoff...............
by Sandeep Bhandari - Saturday, 24 May 2008, 12:04 PM
  why the hell you think CAT 2008 should contain these absurd questions. They should be that anyone with no previous knowledge of angle bisector/right angle theorms be able to crack them
by brijesh singh - Monday, 3 August 2009, 11:24 AM
  i think 2 clear CAT its btr 2 b totalgadha dn 2 b INTELLIGENT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,