New Batches at TathaGat Delhi & Noida!               Directions to CP centre
The Management Development Institute (MDI)
by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 7 September 2007, 07:01 AM

cat 2007 cat 2008 mdi gurgaon xat 2008 mba 2008The Management Development Institute (MDI) was established in 1973 and is a premier business school in India. It is located in Gurgaon, a place near the Indian capital of New Delhi. MDI Gurgaon has consistently been ranked among top ten Business schools in the country. MDI is the first and only institute in India to be accredited by AMBA : Association of MBAs, UK. It has focused on improving the quality of its programmes, gaining international recognition, intellectual wealth creation and attracting quality resources, clients and constituents. The guiding philosophy behind all of the institute’s endeavors is to strive to inculcate professionalism in management and to enhance effectiveness of organizations

Name: Management Development Institute- Gurugram (Gurgaon)
Director-
Sujit K. Basu
Email: admissions@mdi.ac.in
Address: Management Development Institute, Mehrauli Road, Sukhrali, Gurgaon – 122001, INDIA.
Tel + 91 124 2349831-36, 4013050-59
Fax + 91 124 2341189

Programmes:

Post Graduate Programme in Management
National Management Programme
Fellow Programme in Management
Executive Management Programme
Post Graduate Programme- Human Resource Management
Executive Fellow Management Programme

School of Energy Management
School of Public Policy and Governance
Post Graduate Programme in International Management

Eligibility Criteria:

The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA in any discipline of any of the Universities incorporated by an Act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under section 3 of UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India. The Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent qualification obtained by the candidate must entail a minimum of three years of education after completing higher secondary schooling (10+2) or equivalent.

Expenses:

Fee for tuition, room, boarding, teaching material, computer facilities, and other fees for a single student living on the campus for the batch 2007-2009 is likely to be Rs.3,88,000 per year. Personal expenses on travel, clothes, laundry, etc. are extra.

Test Accepted: Common Admission Test (CAT)

Institute Facts (Infra, Activities etc.)

MDI has its own campus spread over 37 acres in Gurgaon. Located strategically, the campus is about 16 Kms. from Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi and 30 Kms, from downtown Connaught Place, New Delhi. The campus is well laid out with an extensive six hole golf green, trees, lawns and aesthetically planned landscapes.

Library holds a rich collection of printed as well as electronic resources which include books, journals, databases, audio-visual materials, CDs, e-journals, annual reports of top companies, case studies, conference proceedings, training manuals, etc. The print collection includes ov er 56,000 volumes predominantly related to management and allied subjects. The Library subscribes to 325 print journals and provides access to over 8,000 e-journals through various databases

The Institute has initiated exchange programmes with more than thirty-five foreign Institutions of equal repute. Some of them are- Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane; Vienna University of Economics & Business Administration, Solvay Business School, Brussels; The Faculty of Applied Economics, University of Antwerp; McGill University, Canada; University of Waterloo, Waterloo; DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University, Canada; Copenhagen Business School; Aarhus School of Business; Middlesex University, London; etc.

There are Badminton and Tennis Courts and 6 golf courses in the Campus.

Student clubs in MDI

DELPHIQUE - Management Development Institute's (MDI) National Management Convention
Imperium- the Annual Inter B-School Management and Cultural event.

Illumina - The Market Research and Diwali mela
ITeration - The Special Interest group in Information Management at MDI
Marquity- The marketing club of MDI
Monetrix, the finance club of MDI

HR Direction at MDI- The HR club at Management Development Institute, Gurgaon
Opsession Club- The Operations Club at MDI
W5H- The Quiz club

Prayas- Student Run Cooperative Store of MDI
Mandolins- Music Group at MDI

NatyaMatics- The theatre society of MDI
UNNATI: A Mutual Fund Managed by Students
Synapses- Series of Extension lectures
International Relations Committee
Alumni Committee
C Cube- Corporate Communications Cell

MDI- Placement Statistics
by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 7 September 2007, 07:31 AM
  Hi All,

please find the file for placement statistics at MDI.

Dagny
Re: The Management Development Institute (MDI)
by asd asd - Friday, 7 September 2007, 12:09 PM

Hello Dagny,

Just want to add few more things about MDI. At the moment I am residing in gurgaon only. I believe very few people know about MDI. It's one of the best institute for MBA after IIMs. It also has Three Year Part Time MBA for executives. For this Three Year Part Time MBA, they conduct test in month of February and August (twice in year, for two batch).

Regards,

Vijay

PS: Dagny, I was going thru that ultimate guide (pdf doc ) for the preparation of GMAT/CAT. The print option for that document is not enabled. Can you enable the same and post it again. Or, if you have done that already, then please let me know the link(url).

by Eshika Aggarwal - Friday, 7 September 2007, 12:20 PM

Plz tel me what do v mean by part time three year executive MBA.Does that mean for the working ppl who cannot go for full time MBa. and plz let me know how beneficial will that be .Will it be same as like regular MBA.

Thanks and Regardssmile

by asd asd - Friday, 7 September 2007, 12:31 PM

Hello Eshika,

You got it right. It's for working ppl who cannot go for full time MBA and it's fee is around 3 Lakh.

These days most of the working ppl prefer this part time MBA. IIM Lucknow also opened Three Year Part Time MBA course and it's in NOIDA and they call it as "Noida Campus". They conduct separate test for this in the month of April.

Regards,

Vijay

Regards,

Vijay

MDI HR- Interview Questions
by Dagny Taggart - Friday, 7 September 2007, 01:48 PM
  Hi All,

Please find the interview questions for MDI HR in the file.

Dagny
by Total Gadha - Friday, 7 September 2007, 01:56 PM
  Hi Asd asd,

Thank you for this useful information. smile

As for 'Dagny Taggart's Ultimate Guide to GMAT', we decided to keep all our original work safe from copying or printing since we are offering it for free. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience.

Total Gadha
by asd asd - Friday, 7 September 2007, 02:41 PM

Hello TG,

I wont be lying. It's really a problem to read everything on the computer. Never mind. At least you people are providing the material free of cost. Not only free of cost but also guiding the people to achieve their goal. That's more than enough.

Regards,

Vijay

by Eshika Aggarwal - Friday, 7 September 2007, 04:30 PM

thanks asd asd

also let me know for part time executive also we need to give the CAT or there is different exam for it.

And is it equally beneficiary to give this course as equal to MDI full time.

And the fee is 3 lakh per year.

Regards

MDI- Interview Questions
by Dagny Taggart - Sunday, 9 September 2007, 10:19 AM
  Hi All,

Please find the interview questions for MDI in the file.

Dagny
Re: MDI- Interview Questions
by Akshat Agarwal - Wednesday, 10 October 2007, 02:44 PM
  Hey Dagny
I am Akshat Agarwal , had a convert from MDI PGPM last year. Chucked it and taking cat again this year.
Some of those questions were actually asked. The pipelines one and the music one was asked to me. Have you actually gone thru the pagalguy forums and selected some questions???
Anyways , its a very good effort indeed
Chill
Akshat
Re: MDI- Interview Questions
by Dagny Taggart - Wednesday, 10 October 2007, 04:01 PM
  Hi Akshat,

Our team researched everywhere for the interview questions. We even asked our own students who got calls from these institutes. And yes, all the interview questions in the file are the real questions. smile

Dagny
Does MDI consider sectional cutoffs???
by Gaurav Pandey - Sunday, 11 November 2007, 07:15 PM
  Does MDI consider sectional cutoffs in CAT for their admission process.....If yes will they not call if cutoffs are not clear in all sections???
Re: Does MDI consider sectional cutoffs???
by Total Gadha - Tuesday, 20 November 2007, 11:41 AM
  Hi Gaurav,

Yes they do have sectional cutoffs in MDI.

Total Gadha
by Dwaipayan Baksi - Friday, 21 March 2008, 07:43 PM

Hi Dagny,

Some time back MDI started a unique program , the first of its kind in India, known as PGPIM (Post Graduate Program in International Management).

Do you have any idea of how good this course is? What are the kind of profiles/packages offered?

I have a call from this course and the GDPI went pretty well; hopefully it would be converted. I have been selected to IMI and am awaiting IMT results. Trying to gather information so that I can make a sensible choice if I am selected to both IMT and MDI(PGPIM).

Thanking you,

Dwaipayan Baksi

by Deepak Gupta - Saturday, 22 March 2008, 05:16 PM

Hi ,

Here are a few FAQs on PGIM:

Q) International Business Specialization?
A)First of all, MDI does not offer a specialization in International Business, there is no program at MDI called IB...

PGPIM is General Management program, where half the course you study in India, and the other half in Europe (either at London / Paris). The "International" element in the course refers to the global outlook the course intends to develop. The "global" outlook starts right here in India, where 1/3rd of the class consists of International students, from Mexico, Kentucky, France and Germany. And when you join ESCP EAP Paris, then Indians would comprise just 10% of the class. That's diversity.

The global mindset will begin right here in India, when you would be taught more in terms of Walmart than big bazaar, Accentures and Anderson Consultings than Infosys.

Q) PLACEMENTS
A) The first batch is yet to be placed, and it's not possible for us to comment on that. But yes, it is advisable to think about this course ONLY if you are targetting foreign placements. Yes, MDI will get you placed as the "placer" of last resort, but that would be their failure, not success.

As far as internships... 2 people have got confirmed internships till now.. One in Barcleys, other at Arcelor Mittal. The lower of the two is 2200 Euros a month...

Everyone else has had a few calls, even slow starters... Who have now started picking up pace.

Q) Is it worth 10 lacs?
A) As far as being "worth it" is concerned... It's really a personal opinion. The whole course will come out to be much more than 10 L... more like 12...

Q) How different from PGPM?
A) PGPM is very old and established course. But the same is not the case with PGPIM.
Last year, the course was new and there was a lot of uncertainty. But now that it has stablized, you can expect the cut offs to go up slightly.

Q) Percentiles?
A) A Pessimistic estimate of 97, and an optimistic of 95 would be my guess. (My own percentile was 96..)

Q) Is the Stint with ESCP EAP Mandatory?
A) Yes, The stint with ESCP EAP is Mandatory. That's what's "International" about the course, the exposure. Otherwise, the course is General Management (Not International Business)

Q) Reputation of ESCP-EAP?
A) You can check it out at wiki :ESCP-EAP European School of Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also take a look at what that page says :

The ESCP-EAP European School of Management is a top ranking international business school and one of the most prestigious French Management Grandes Écoles [1], [2]. It is the oldest institution dedicated to business education in the world[3]. ... school has many notable alumni in business and politics, including many CEOs, the former Prime Minister of France, Jean-Pierre Raffarin.

Q) How many programs are there in MDI? How do I decide between them?
A) At MDI, PGPM, PGPHRM, PGPIM are three branches of one program called PG program. PGPM is the the flagship program, the oldest one, and with the highest intake. Each program has its own features and characteristics. Choose whichever suits your interest and profile.

The cut offs for both the programs, PGPM and PGIM were roughly the same this year.

Cheers!

Deepak Gupta

PGPIM  Batch 2007-2009

by raju kolluru - Saturday, 19 September 2009, 05:36 PM
  hi sir. send me details about their own entrance.